It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Golf after anterior discectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
    JANE1950
    (female)

JANE1950 HB User
    Golf after anterior discectomy?

Hi

I am new to this board and am not sure whether this section or the back section is the right place to post but here goes. I am now 14 days post op for c7 anterior discectomy with fusion. Does anyone know someone who had this surgery who was able to return to golf? And how soon? My doctor said up to six months but it sounds from reading all these posts that playing golf could bring on a second surgery.

Thanks a lot.

Jane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: Golf after anterior discectomy?

I don't know how long you should wait. The fusion usually isn't complete for at least a year.

I see no reason you couldn't play golf.

Dennis

Old 12-29-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
    JANE1950
    (female)

JANE1950 HB User

Dennis

Thanks so much for your reply. I don't follow football that carefully....saw the part of him having a better singing voice <G> but didn't know if he had actually returned to playing football. That is really pretty darn amazing isn't it what the human body can sustain.

Jane

Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
    Beeyes

Beeyes HB User

I had surgery on 10/3/03 and was hitting golf balls in a dome in January 04. That was about 2 1/2 months post op. My xrays showed fusion starting, and the doc said go do it, as long as there is no pain. I ended up breaking 80 for the first time that summer, and broke 80 about 6 times this past summer.

I had to wear a collar for 2 weeks non-stop, so it took a good while to get my range of motion back in my neck. The first day I took it off, I had about 1 inch of movement side to side!! Its now been just over 2 years, and I started doing pilates/yoga last month, due to a bulging disc in my thorasic spine. I must say that since I have been doing these exercises, my back feels better, and the last remaining tightness in my neck has gone away!!

good luck!!

Old 01-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
    JANE1950
    (female)

JANE1950 HB User

Beeyes

Oh my golly, you have just made my day!! My doctor says 6 weeks and maybe I can chip and putt. He said 3 months for full swing, maybe more. Apparently because disc at c5/6 is not so great, they want to do a lot of rehab to build up those muscles so as not to put too much pressure on them.

I am printing out your email and pasting it on my golf bag which is gathering dust.

Do you play a lot now? Do you think the golf has impacted your thoracic disc issue? I had sciatica several years ago and tried everything. Finally my doctor put me on to Jack Nicklaus' PT, the guy who helped Jack avoid surgery for many many years. The guy's name is Egoscue. Unique way of diagnosing and treating you with yoga like exercises. It totally relieved my sciatica and enabled me to avoid back surgery. Let me know if you want other details.

Best
    Jane

Last edited by moderator2; 01-06-2006 at 08:25 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Closed Thread