It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• reversed cervical spine???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
    gymcoach
    (female)

gymcoach HB User
    reversed cervical spine???

does anyone know if this is a real disorder??? my chiropractor took xrays and my neck is curved a little the opposite way, and he said something looks wrong with my atlas. i went to my family doctor today, and he disagrees without even looking at the xrays. he said thats not a real condition and it wouldnt make my neck hurt. i know nothing about this so any help would be great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: reversed cervical spine???

it is called a reversal of lordosis.It is not that uncommon,I have had this all my life pretty much.instead of the natural curving of the stacked vertabrae,your just sit more straightened.This can cause you a more unstable c spine but not anything really major in itself.now the atlas thing,just what did this chiro actually say about it??i think at the very least here,you need to obtain an MRI.your doc is doing you a great non service here by not following up on this at least to some degree.You have some concerns that should be adressed by your doc and if he does not agree,see another doc,really.you DO deserve to have any concerns about your health taken seriously and if this doc is not going to take yours seriously,see one who will.It is not that hard to find another good primary doc and if this one wont help you,then just move on.I have done this before when I was seeing a neurosurgeon who was not taking my very real concerns as seriously as I was.no problem.just find another.really.you are your best and only advocate,if you don't take this on and demand the type of care you need and deserve,no one will do it for you.There are plenty of really good caring docs who would love to add you to their practice.Good luck and let me know what you find out,K?Marcia

Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
    taito1979
    (male)

taito1979 HB User

I have recently been diagnosed with a reversed cervical lordosis and it is bad news.It apparently can not be reversed to its normal position via exercise.Everyone i have seen has either not understood my position or are only interested in taking my money and dealing with the symptoms (kneck pain, weak arms and hands,body losided, shoulder pain, headaches, starting from upper back n back pain.Im pushing for surgery to fix it. ITs major surgery, if I can convince a surgeon to do it.I ve had it for a year now.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Actually this is a pretty common condition and depending on the cause it possibly could be corrected without surgery. The most common surgical procedure for lordosis problems is ACDFs.

I had this caused by disc herniations and disc shrinkage that allowed significant movement of alignment. My natural curve was opposite. I had the surgery to correct and this part of my problems has been successfully solved. If a doctor says you don't have it tell him to look at the xrays - it was clear to me when they showed me and I am not a doctor.

ACDFs are pretty common surgery and have been done for years.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Run, don't walk away from the chiropractor and get yourself to a comprehensive spine clinic, most major metropolitan areas have several to choose from. At the very least you need an MRI.

I had this same condition myself, and it was a chiropractor who first pointed it out. But he immediately wanted lots of money from me to "fix" it (cash only please!) and he scared me away. To some extent this was a good thing, because evidently chiropractors can cause more damage by manipulating a neck that is in this type of condition. To make a long story short I finally had an MRI and had severe degenerative disc disease with one of the discs protruding into my spinal cord causing severe cervical stenosis. I had a C4-5 ACDF in November. Several weeks ago, I had an X-ray to check the progress of the bone graft I now have in place of that damaged disc and I noticed that my neck on that X-ray appears to curve slightly back in the correct direction now. Seeing my neck curve the wrong way on that original X-ray was very disconcerting to me, it was like looking at an old lady's X-ray! I honestly don't know if that was really significant, but it made me feel good none the less to actually see the return of the correct curve.

Anyway, good luck to you!
    C4-5 ACDF 2006
    C3-6 ACDF 2013
    Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Closed Thread