It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Permanent nerve damage - what test?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
    ThoreauFan
    (male)

ThoreauFan HB User
    Permanent nerve damage - what test?

Does anyone know what test is conducted to evaluate permanent nerve damage? I was told that the purpose of a nerve conduction test was to rule out carpal tunnel (hand numbness); didn't need it because of the MRI results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
    whackedback
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
    Re: Permanent nerve damage - what test?

EMG is the test that is performed to test how your nerves conduct signals. Electro myelogram. (My spelling is probably not correct.)

The thing it tests for is to see what nerves may be damaged or impinged. I had a herniation at L4/5, and the EMG test showed that when I stood up, the material from the herniation pressed down on S1, so nerve blocks that I was getting for L4/5 weren't helping, though that was the herniated disk. A nerve-block at S1 did the trick and I was able to delay the surgery for 6 months until I was stronger.

wb

Old 02-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Permanent nerve damage - what test?

WB is exactly right.The EMG will tell you the info you need to know.It really IS the best type of test to use to determine whether or not there is actual flow thru a specific nerve,good luck,marcia

Closed Thread