It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Veterans of multiple ACDF surgeries

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Veterans of multiple ACDF surgeries

Hi all,
    I was looking for those of you who had a second or even third ACDF. I had an initial good outcome from my 2-level C4-6 12/04, I was well for 6 months. (I am totally happy with that decision). Since I have started up with adjacent segment disease at C7. Long story short, I've had a couple selective nerve root injections, only have one left for rest of year, between that and MRI they are sure it is C7 and aggravating spinal stenois. I have only had symptoms on my right, but recently it is starting to move to the left as well. Doc recommends another acdf at C6-7. I am seeing a 2nd opinion neuro in a couple weeks.

I am not afraid of the next level as i lost only slight ROM from the first, had a good fusion, etc. I am more afraid that the next level will go bad. I have heard between C7 and T1 has lots more issues. I know each story is unique but any lessons learned out there?

I have done a lot of research on adjacent segment disease, but i didn't find anything on multiple surgeries, and the statistics if it keeps moving.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User
    Re: Veterans of multiple ACDF surgeries

Hi aznativ,
    you said "Since I have started up with adjacent segment disease at C7. ". Can you please elaborate on what this is?
    Thanks,
    Ron

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User
    Re: Veterans of multiple ACDF surgeries

I had ACDF on C5/6/7 in Feb 04, and another on C4/5 in Feb 05. I also have indications of DDD at C7/T1, but it is not causing problems at this point.

AFter the 2nd ACDF, I have noticeable loss of range of motion, but you learn to compemsate by moving your upper body more, and by making sure to always be in the best lane when driving to avoid quick lane changes. I also have some residual/chronic pain and see a pain management Dr. each month to keep things under control.

According to my NS, there is additional stress on adjacent levels, and the more levels that get fuzed, the greater the stress. He also says there is little in the way of conclusive evidence on whether you will or won't have trouble at the adjacent levels - it's more like there is greater stress and therefore greater risk of problems, but each patient's experience will be unique. He indicated that it was a very small number of his patients that had repeat surgery for adjoining levels within 10 years, and I was only the 2nd in his practice to have to have another surgery within a year. The disc between C4/5 failed in a spectacular way when it went, and took extra time during surgery to locate and remove all of the fragments.

He advised that I stay away from overhead work and to not lift heavy things, and to respect my limitations and not force my neck to turn. I still do almost everything I really need to do, but it's not as much fun as it used to be.

Closed Thread