It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Pain shows up 8 weeks post op ACDF--anyone else have this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
    JANE1950
    (female)

JANE1950 HB User
    Pain shows up 8 weeks post op ACDF--anyone else have this?

Hi all

I had ADCF on C6-7 December 15th. Was having excruiting pain down the left arm and shoulder. I have not even had an aspirin since surgery. No pain at all until today and I'm starting to notcie little "twinges" in my upper arm. It is definitely nerve pain, I recognize it well. I would not give it a second thought except that I have had none before. Could it be the nerves waking up? I started driving this week, went to dentist, got a massage. Wonder if this was too much.

Anyway, I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else had had pain show up after no pain at all.

Thanks
    Jane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: Pain shows up 8 weeks post op ACDF--anyone else have this?

Jane,

One thing I can tell you, is that as you do more, particularly early in recovery (8 weeks is still very early), you will feel things, and your body will tell you about it.

It took me until the 6th month before I felt really normal, and the fusion actually takes a year.

I still have a tingle in my left index finger that I feel when I move certain ways. It is very minor compared to what I had before, but it is a residual that my doc says will probably be there for the rest of my life (most likely nerve damage).

One of the other things to consider is that your muscles are probably weak due to the surgery and recovery. A higher level of activity will cause spasms that can mimic the old pain, and even pinch nerves.

I would be sure to tell your doc about the pain, and keep close tabs on it, if it gets worse. You want to make sure that everything is still progressing properly.

You should still be having regular check-ups with your surgeon. Let him/her know when you go in. Otherwise, if it bothers you, call them.

Dennis

Old 02-10-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User

Many of us also experienced increased pain and muscle soreness as we increased our activity. I particularly found driving difficult and was aware of soreness down my arm. As Dennis has said it's still early and regardless of how good you feel you need to go slowly.
    You might want to ask your surgeon about physical therapy to help you resume normal activity without overdoing things.

Unfortunately, regardless of how successful the surgery things are never really ever 100% and a small amount of discomfort might always be there. I certainly find it bearable after the pain and weakness pre op and have learned that it's something I have to learn to live with.

So, take it slowly and let us know how you do.

W

Old 02-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
    JANE1950
    (female)

JANE1950 HB User

Dennis and W

Thank you so much for your prompt feedback I remain so grateful for this board and how generously people share their experiences. As most of us know, it is not so hard to get lots of time from neurosurgeons once the surgery is over.

In my case, I happened to have my two month check up today I told my Neurosurgeon about the pain and he said exactly what you two did---as the nerve "wakes" up there will be twinges. He also said that as I start doing more and more there will be irritation. This week I started driving for the first time and I find it difficult to pull out of parking places. He said that this may have caused some irritation.

I was so nervous all day today until I saw the doctor and no doubt obsessed on the twinges. AFter the doctor reassured me, the twinges are almost gone.

I will start physical therapy next week.

Thanks again for being there.

Jane

Closed Thread