It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• A screw is broken!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    A screw is broken!!

I went to see the neuro surgeon today after having my MRI and X-rays done. It appears that all is well, the fusion has taken and I do have athritis. He did notice that my bottom screw on C7 is broken, it is at over a 33 degree angle halfway down the screw and barely hanging on to the main part of the screw. I questioned him on this and he swears up and down that this would NOT in any way cause the severe pain I am in. He is suggesting I have some muscle issues and to see a Rhuematologist (which I already do for other reasons)
    I am totally flabbergasted to say the least! I don't know what to do from here. I know I need a second opinion, I'm not keen on any surgery but seeing this screw broken in half in my neck makes me question if that isn't the real source of the pain!

My history is an ACDF from C5-C7 and a cleanup of C4 2 years ago this month, last year in April a lady rear ended me while at a dead stop in front of my house. I went immediately to the ER and had Xrays and they claimed all was well. I am not sure if the screw was broken then or not, I am in the process of trying to obtain the X-Rays.
    I am having very severe neck pain, shoulder pain, loss of feeling in both left and right hands and now severe migraines (which I haven't had in a long time).
    I've had injections already which failed, taken steriods which only reduce the pain for a day or two then it's back to full scale and am on some heavy pain meds, anti-imflamatories, muscle relaxors and lidocaine patches to boot! Nothing is really minimizing the pain. I also have to immobilze my neck during extreme pain periods.

The nuero said the break could be a result of the accident or it could be stress related, he isn't sure. I've done some research and have found many iccidents of such a breakage, some claim they have pain while other studies do not actually indicate any level of pain..

Has anyone out there ever had one of thier screws break????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Re: A screw is broken!!

hi kissa,Iam so sorry for situation your in here,I can't help but agree that the broken screw has more to do with the pain your having,that pain that nothing touches I know to well,and I would think that is it were due to muscles something from your prescriptions would be helping,is there any way you could get another opinion on that failure with the screw?Or insist that your current NS clean up that area and get that broken hardware out,I know the thought of another surgery is awfull,and that I know first hand,but this nerve pain is something from another world and if it is being caused by that screw then it should come out,plus I really dont understand what possible good could come from having it remain there,and maybe once he the NS is in there he will be able to fiqure out what is causeing that pain,I am sorry that I cant help you with better advice, but I too am facing another operation,and have yet to find out if it is a hardware issue or c5-6 acting up, my NS left 5-6 alone 18 months ago because he felt I could go a year or more with it ruptured and that medical fixes would be better with a little more time, I will research the new device he has had patented, and share it hopefully tomorrow,my prayers are with you,Diana

Old 02-25-2006, 03:10 AM   #3
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Diana!
    I feel for you as well. I had several area's cleaned up during my original fusion in addition to the actual fusion itself.
    I have done some research and the failure is common and some claim it causes no pain, some say it causes horrendous pain and others say taking it out could be worse than leaving it in!
    Apparently the original screw designed, which was not devised for spinal surgery of any sort, was extremely faulty and massive law suits came as a result. Proctor and Gambel denied any fault. It is said that since then the screw has been revised but still causes failure, just not as such a high rate.
    I am in the process of trying to find another doctor. My sister works for the Cle. Clinic and is trying to find the best doctor there but not having much luck.. the horror stories she hears are not to be believed...
    Unfortunately my insurance limits who I can and can not see.
    I could go the accident route and claim it on that and see anyone I like BUT there's no 100% proof the breakage was caused by the accident itself but it is most likely any muscle damage was.
    I just can't understand the increased level of pain on a daily basis. I am on Morphine, Baclofen (even though I don't have MS, it helps spasms in my spine), Mobic and Lidocaine patches. The meds aren't doing much good at all and pain is no stanger to me as I've suffered from various forms of pain since a child due to a genetic disorder called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.
    The weirdest part of the pain isn't the bone and muscle pain it's this bizzare pain I have when I lay down or turn my head a certain way. It feels as though someone has cut off my out going blood from from my head. I can feel blood going in but nothing coming back out (sounds odd yes) and it's as if my head is going to explode! My arms are doing the same thing as well and this is a new thing that just started a few months ago. It is very prominent when I wear my neck brace during periods of extreme pain as well..

Good luck on your surgery, I know I was pain free for a year until the accident after mine and hopefully you'll have the same results minus the accident

Barbie

Old 02-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
    JANE1950
    (female)

JANE1950 HB User

Kissa

Wow, that sounds awful and surely the broken screw must have something to do with it. I'm glad you are finding a new NS. I was told before my surgery that many of the botched surgeries are from averge to bad NS. It is worth finding the best. I'm surprised there wouldn't be a number of good ones at the Cleveland Clinic, given its reputation.

Jane

Old 02-27-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Jane,
    I hate to say it but CC is not the best hospital around, if you have a heart condition you are set, anything else, University is a better option from what I hear from those who actually work there . I had a really bad experience with their "top" surgeon who's secretary was so rude I wanted to reach out and throttle her.
    What is it about NS's with big ego's anyhow? heh
    I did have one of the best in our area and the fusion did set just fine

Closed Thread