It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• questions about scoliosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
    curious artist
    (female)

curious artist HB User
    questions about scoliosis

ok, i have a few questions about scoliosis. 1) does it cause pain? 2) can it get worse if you play sports? 3) is there any way to help the curve without doctors? (exercises, physical therapy, certain postures, etc.) 4) can the position you sleep in affect your scoliosis? thanks for any answers you can give me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Re: questions about scoliosis

Hi Curious,My 19 yr old daughter has scoliosis,,something we watched as she was growing up,she had physical rehab,chropractors ect.. now during her pregnancy this year her back started to give her some problems,and the physiatriest she is currently seeing said that there was some narrowing at the base of her spine and gave her shoe inserts to even out the slightly longer leg,she also has been given exercizes and since she is only 19 yrs old she wants her to try out some new age type treatments for relaxation and pain control,she does have some muscle relaxer scripts and tramodol for when the pain gets a little worse,its hard to say how much of the back issues are caused by the scoliosis or the bad backs her Aunt and I have,cuz xrays are all that were taken,where as a MRI would give a better picture,I hope this helped alittle as far as knowledge,as her treatment is on going I could prolly help you out a little better in the next few weeks.Diana

Old 03-30-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
    frog3
    (female)

frog3 HB User
    Re: questions about scoliosis

I was actually looking for a thread about scoliosis to ask the same question! (question # 1). My mom has scoliosis and she has told me that she has arthritis in her back that is related to it. I also have scoliosis and in the past few years have been experiencing a good bit of back pain. I don't know whether or not it is related to the scoliosis, but I think it might be (if anyone reading this has any reason to believe otherwise, please tell me, I'm curious). The back pain, although frustrating, isn't really that severe so I havn't looked into it. As for question # 2, I think it's safe to play sports. I was always told that I shouldn't carry heavy things around too much. I was even given a separate set of books for home and school so I wouldn't have to carry a heavy book bag back and forth. Although I don't know for sure, and it would probably be better to get an answer from a doctor than me, I can't imagine it would get worse from playing sports. The exercise might even be good for her back.

Closed Thread