It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Hip pain after myelopathy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #1
    mb100
    (male)

mb100 HB User
    Hip pain after myelopathy?

Hey guys,

Has anyone who had a rough gait after acdf (or posterior) for myelopathy, had a problem with their hips?

This has been going on since 3 or 4 months after surgery. Although we've ( me and my therapist ) worked long and hard on my gait problems, there hasn't been any improvement. I discussed this hip problem with both him and my Dr. but other than "take it easy when it acts up" it's never been addressed. My doc did say at one time my rough gait was likely the cause.

I'll be going in for revision on the neck 4-18. In my infinite wisdom I decided to taper off my meds because I wanted to see exactly what and where my symptoms were, and how severe, wanting to know what the new surgery helped, or didn't. I did this over about 3 weeks. I wasn't on alot of stuff, mind you. 60 mg baclofen for spasticity in my legs, 400 mg neurontin for pain, and lots of ibuprofen. The pain in my neck/shoulders/upper back increased dramatically, but the biggest problem is my right hip/thigh, it is freakin killin me. It's keeps moving and changing too. It goes from the top of my hip bone in the back, to my knee. I'm on the verge of calling the doc but thought I would throw it out here first so maybe I would have some insight before I talk to him.

I started taking the meds again a few days ago, slowly increasing, but the hip keeps getting worse. I alternated heat/ice last night for quite a while with little relief.

I've played with pain since I broke my back in 79, so I'm not a sissy about it.
    This has been level 5-10 for 7 days voluntarily (sp?). I'm a little embarrassed about my little tough guy experiment now.

Any thoughts????

Take it slow...Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User
    Re: Hip pain after myelopathy?

That's one thing that worries me about the gait issue. While I haven't had hip problems, we're worried that if I don't fix the walking properly, I'll develope one. My husband yells at me that I don't swing my leg properly. The PT can't really do much except supervise and suggest so at the moment, I just see him every few weeks to "check in" and review the exercises I'm doing on my own - mostly water walking and treadmill along with some leg lifts w/weights.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
    mb100
    (male)

mb100 HB User
    Re: Hip pain after myelopathy?

Hey Sunny,

I'm back on the meds for 5 days now and the pain is back down where it was before in my hip so I guess it is nerve pain. I'll be askin the doc about it and see what he thinks, we only touched on it before. My leg doesnt swing very wide but my foot fishtails as it comes forward. I'll let you know.

Take it slow...Mike

Closed Thread