It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ADCF Surgery 4 years ago, need answers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
    debysu46
    (female)

debysu46 HB User
    ACDF Surgery 4 years ago, need answers

I had acdf surgery 4 years ago with bone taken from own hip. I still have alot of hip pain especially if I am on feet for awhile.
    The real problem I am having right now is I have severe burning pain in back of neck, shoulder pain and constant headaches. I do not know if something may have happened different or if this could be a complication of the surgery I did have. I only know it is very hard to function like this, cannot find a comfortable way to sleep, sit or anything. I do not have insurance anymore so I cannot afford to go to a dr to have it rechecked. My work dropped our insurance right after my surgery. Is this burning pain anything anyone else is or has experienced?
    Any info greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Debbie

Last edited by debysu46; 04-02-2006 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelled wrong

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
    debysu46
    (female)

debysu46 HB User
    Re: ADCF Surgery 4 years ago, Thanks for Responding

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to at least view the post. Guess I was not able to get any answers here.
    Thanks
    Debbie

Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User
    Re: ADCF Surgery 4 years ago, Thanks for Responding

Quote:
    Originally Posted by debysu46
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to at least view the post. Guess I was not able to get any answers here.
    Thanks
    Debbie
    Did you have hardware? Can you get an Xray or an MRI a at a clinic of some type to make sure that either :

Hardware didn't fail (screws come loose etc)
    Another disc has herniated / etc

Old 04-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
    ThoreauFan
    (male)

ThoreauFan HB User
    Re: ADCF Surgery 4 years ago, need answers

I've read the post, but don't have any words of wisdom.

I'd head for a Dr., Urgent Care, or E.R with any serious health concern.

Probably not what you came here to read -- best I can do.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:56 AM   #5
    Harveygray
    (male)

Harveygray HB User
    Re: ACDF Surgery 4 years ago, need answers

Hello Debbie,
    I have the burning pain daily as well. I was told it was inflamation ...... When I was able to get Vioxx it worked great for this. ( terrible on my stomach) Then I tried the other two, ending with Celebrex.... but for me it REALLY helped. (Had chest pains so the doctor took me off that.) My GP said it was something I will have to live with. Bottom line for me is... the more I do, the more it burns and hurts. Besides throwing money away at the doctor I would tell you this.........don't pick up anything..... rest as much as you can.... pace yourself....... Take care of yourself first.....
    I know this doesn't help you much..... but your not alone..

Harveygray

Last edited by Harveygray; 04-03-2006 at 02:58 AM.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:41 AM   #6
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

Have you tried going to an ortho yet? They might re order some x rays mri to see if you re herniated or if there is nerve root presure causing these symptoms. It is not uncommon after these orginal surgiers to have to do repeats or above below the inital area a few years down the line
    Some of the folks here have had good results with there orginal surgeries others have had continual ongoing chronic pain. Sometimes it is hard for us to distingush levels of pain because we are so use to it.
    If you can't get in to an orthopedic doc then try and get a referal to a rhumatogist to see if imflamation is adding to the pain areas .
    Good luck to you

Old 04-03-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
    mb100
    (male)

mb100 HB User

Hi Deb,

It sounds like to me that "no ins." is holding you back the most. There may be some help available from the state you live in. I would call public aid or do like funny said and go to the ER. Maybe call the original surgeons office and see what they can tell you. Thats what it's there for so dont hesitate to look into it. Sounds like this is taking quite a toll on you,

I always found "not knowing" was the hardest part of recovery, whats wrong, how long to heal, blah blah blah......

Until you get some answers, take it slow and easy.

Mike

Old 04-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
    debysu46
    (female)

debysu46 HB User
    Red face Re: ADCF Surgery 4 years ago, need answers

I would love to be able to rest but unfortunaltly I have to work 40 hrs a week. Yes I do have a titanium plate put in with screws. I do not believe that I would be able to live with this on a daily basis if that is what I am told I will have to do. This is unbearable pain. It seems to get really bad as I am driving home from work and then into the night is something awful. I wish I would have never of had the surgery but was told I really did not have much to choose from. Either have it or become disabled is what I was told.

Debbie

Old 04-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
    debysu46
    (female)

debysu46 HB User

I just wanted to comment on the no ins. yes that is one of the main reasons I cannot do anything about this problem. I could go to a dr but the amount they want up front and then its on to mri's or xrays and all with that huge price that I just cannot afford. The other thing that holds me back is I have not been back to a dr in 4 yrs since this surgery because I am scared to go. When I had this surgery I nearly lost my life, when I was coming to from the surgery something happened and I ended up in a coma for 5 days and on life support. Was something like negative pulmonary distress disorder or something. When I awoke my lungs filled up. Of course I do not know myself of all this as I was out of it. But as my friends and family tell me of the ordeal and how terriflied they were. They actually called the family in to tell them I may not make it. So yes I am very scared because I could never go thru surgery to get fixed even if I had to. Losing 5 days dont seem like a lot but it really is. Took me forever to not be afraid to go to sleep, cause I may not wake.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
    mb100
    (male)

mb100 HB User

Hi again Debbie,

I shouldnt give advise, it always gets me in trouble.

to answer your question, I have the burning from time to time. My fusoin failed and I'll be goin to get it fixed in acouple weeks.

Best of luck to you....Mike

Old 04-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
    choctaw_n_ok
    (female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User

Hi Debbie- I had the c5-c6 fusion with hip bone graft anf harware in my neck 3 yrs ago this past MAR 31. It took my hip forever to heal and Id NEVER suggest that to anyone if there was the option for a cadaver !...I had NO idea the healing would be that intense and long...but its OK now. I think I still baby it because I havent forgotten how bad it was tho !....as far as my neck...Im going thru the exact same thing about no insurance and pain and burning. I was lucky enough tho , to get another MRI in early 05 or late 04 that showed bone spurs and my other discs going, AND DDD. I wasnt then bad off enough to warrant surgery BUT the pain was/ is there and I did the routine - pre op routine, again...the facet injects, steroid shotS, PT, ..ETC...nothing...so I started to see an pain management 'hero'...well he's MY hero. SO we've tried diffrent drugs and such and I found something that worked perfect enough for me and I had the insurance...I was on morphine sulfate 160mgs a day and hydocodone for BT....it didnt cost me but a TOTAL of 20$ for my monthly scripts .....without insurance it was about 340$ for scripts. ...Well I lost my insurance and about died...so I had to go to a med that didnt cost alot that works. I talked with my hero and told him and I started on methadone with hydrocodone for BT. ..Its SO much cheaper. Makes me really sleepy tho. Too sleepy. If/ when I get insurance again, I m going back on my morphine and getting another MRI because I KNOW Im getting worse.

Its really sad when we've had surgeries and had insurance for our health and all and lose insurance and hurt and cant get care that /tests that are needed !

WOW !...LONG POST !...Sorry I rambled and hope you can get something done !

deana

Old 04-06-2006, 04:24 AM   #12
    debysu46
    (female)

debysu46 HB User

Thanks Deanna
    Hope I spelled that right. Just knowing that someone else out there is in or was in the same exact postion I was is relief in itself. I think what I am really looking for is for someone to just tell me that this is nothing dangerous and can be lived with. I can live with the pain I guess if I knew that much. I dont know if my family can live with me though. Right now alls I take is alot of goody powders and I know they are not good for you all the time. My husband tries to massage it but that seems to make the pain worse.
    I am trying to find me a job I can do from home so I will not have to go to my job anymore. I am just afraid of eventually losing the use of my arm or arms. That is why I had the surgery to begin with because my orth. told me that I would definatly lose the use of my arm. But now I am worse than before the surgery.
    Does anyone know if the screws could be lose or backed out? My orth. told me they would not because of what he used.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #13
    choctaw_n_ok
    (female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User

Yeah Ive heard of screws coming out.....pretty scarey thing !...

Can you get in to see an Pain Management doc ?....your PCP can refer you. ..and my 90 methadone a month without insurance is only abt 25$ a month and my 90hydrocodone with no insurance is only abt 43$ a month. Yeah its still a little spendy BUT at least Im at a 5-6 maybe 7 pain level daily instaed of 9-10.........

Just a thought !

deana

Closed Thread