It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF C-5 C-6 C-7 Best thing ever!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User
    Cool ACDF C-5 C-6 C-7 Best thing ever!!!

Hello , Well I logged on to post a note in the thread I started months back entitled "fusion c5 c6 c7 questions" but for some reason it is closed..??..
    Anyways ... I am just about two months post op, and the difference is incredible. I cant speak for anyone but myself, but the ACDF was like a miracle. Instant pain relief in my arm and neck, I had some residual pain after the sx but now it is mostly gone . My neck is still alittle stiff and I have spasms in it, but nothing compared to the pain I had before. So if you are reading this post and you are thinking about having ACDF sx , DO IT. It worked for me. (recap) I had blown out disks that were pushing on my ulnar nerve that ran down my right arm, causing ,pain, throbbing, tingling, blah, blah, blah all that fun stuff from my right ear to the tips of my fingers. It was horrible. But all is well now Thanks for all the great advice I received on here from all of you, (you know who you are).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User
    Re: ACDF C-5 C-6 C-7 Best thing ever!!!

GREAT post and outcome!

How were the weeks up to the point you are at? I'd be a little curious as to the pains that you did have if you are up to posting them.. I know you said they were not like the original ones....

Thanks.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Wow Ouch why can't this be us talking?

Ron you mentioned the pain from the ulnar nerve....I was never told all that was pinching other then the cord itself however one of my major issues is the pain from the ear to fingers. Problem is I still have it 6 weeks post. Ouch asked about your prior pains and I would be curious also. Did your elbows hurt?

Old 04-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
    mb100
    (male)

mb100 HB User

Thats fantastic news Ron! Yours was one of the first threads I read on here, and I read it all. Keep postin your progress.

Take it slow....Mike

Old 04-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User

um, well lets see, the first week out of the hopsital wasnt toooo bad, the worst part was not sleeping I couldnt get comfortable, not even that I was in pain, just VERY uncomfortable,.......(prior to sx)yes I had pain in my elbow, It kinda went like this..... from my ear down to my shoulder was a weird achy kind of pain from my shoulder down to my forearm felt like there wasnt any blood going to it and it hurt alot , and down into my fingers it tingled and pinky and part of ring finger was numb, and ohya my right chest muscle also felt kind of numb...what verts did all of you have acdf on? i guess i was kinda lucky being c5c6c7 they dont move as much as 4 thru 1 so the restriction with the fusion isnt as big of a deal....how are all of you doing?.. Mike you said take it slow, your right, i feel so good i feel like i can do anything, this past weekend i went and did some shooting a local range. BIG MISTAKE , I was sore for two days, so I know i have to take it alittle slower...

Old 04-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acdfouch
    GREAT post and outcome!

How were the weeks up to the point you are at? I'd be a little curious as to the pains that you did have if you are up to posting them.. I know you said they were not like the original ones....

Thanks.
    Hi ouch, mostly stiffness and spasms the spasms were worse a few weeks back, i went to a PT appointment and they put those electrode things on my neck and shoulder, it was spasming so bad i didnt even feel the pulses, weird, but im either gettng used to them or they are decreasing, either way its better then it was, whats your deal? how goes the battle?

Old 04-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

I guess that pretty much about sums up where I am at - stiffness and spasms - bad.

I forget if you said - how long out are you now? How many weeks did the spasms last? A month? A little more?

Very interested!

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User

Quote:
    I guess that pretty much about sums up where I am at - stiffness and spasms - bad.

I forget if you said - how long out are you now? How many weeks did the spasms last? A month? A little more?

Very interested!

Thanks.
    my sx was on february 9th,... spasms seem to be on the down side now. they were pretty bad the first month or so, still better then the shooting pain down my arm though!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Mmmm... Remember the orso part?

From what I gather, sounds like they picked up in the middle somewhere there?

If so, that is starting to sound VERY like me and is VERY encouraging.

I really appreciate the input!

In regards to meds, were you taking anything for the spasms?

Old 04-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #10
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User

Quote:
    Mmmm... Remember the orso part?

From what I gather, sounds like they picked up in the middle somewhere there?

If so, that is starting to sound VERY like me and is VERY encouraging.

I really appreciate the input!

In regards to meds, were you taking anything for the spasms?
    Yes, well sorta, they gave me flexeril, it knocked me out so I only took it a couple of times, I dont like that drugged out groggy feeling and that stuff was brutal, for pain they gave me tylox for the first couple of weeks, but i didnt finish the script, i ended up throwing it out

Old 04-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #11
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Ok.. I would stand to say your spasms probably aren't at my level then... But this is encouraging outcome never the less!

Thanks for the response.

Helps!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Ron wasn't your injury W/C? I forgot how long was it between injury and surgery?

Like Ouch my spasms are much worse then yours. You are one of the lucky ones I have read about on this board. Just take it slow like Mike said. I know when I feel good I overdo it and it hurts worse for days.

K

Old 04-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User

Backinthesaddle,
    Yes my issue was thru w/c what a pain in the butt they are.... it took about ten months to finally get it all straightened out, they agreed to pay for my sx and its yet to see what my comp. will be......

Old 04-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Question Re: ACDF C-5 C-6 C-7 Best thing ever!!!

It's so good to hear that you had a good outcome with the fusion. I just finished a second round of epidural injections and this round didn't work, so I think I'm on the way to a C6-7 or possibliy C5-7 ACDF.

How long were you in the cervical collar? I am trying to gauge how long that will be (as I anticipate hating the collar) and wondering when I can get back to work.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #15
    kaallis
    (female)

kaallis HB User
    Lightbulb Re: ACDF C-5 C-6 C-7 Best thing ever!!!

I am now 4 months past surgery for a C5-6 fusion and returning to work tomorrow. After reading some of the posts, I'm considering myself SO lucky that it went the way it did. The only problems I'm still having are tightness and aching across my shoulders and up my neck towards my head, but after PT with moist heat, ultrasound and DEEP tissue massage it feels a LOT better - hurts like crazy while it's being done, but two days later I'm feeling great! I'm doing PT two to three times a week. Soma for muscle spasms has been helping as well. My surgery was something a little new from what I understand. The plate and pins that I got are bio-degradable and will completly be gone in 18 - 24 months! My ortho-surgeon was incredible and I'll be forever grateful to him. So, just wanted to let you all know that there really IS light at the end of the tunnel.

Closed Thread