It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User
    Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

Question for the vets.

Thought I would do this outside of the almighty thread so to attract more opinions.

When you started getting better and not in surgery pain.... Did you notice the nerve "waking up"?

I have noticed a lot of tingling (never had that pre surgery - just numb and general pain) and I now have CRAZY nerve specific pain (C6 stuff like forearm etc) where it feels like someone is hammering my forearm.... And I never felt the forearm / wrist stuff... But WOW do I now! It doesn't seem to last too long but it has been coming and going over the past couple of days..

I suspect that I have ignored this problem for a very long time and this is the proccess of the nerve waking up...

Anyone else out there with a similar experience during the recovery? In other words, I have been doing pretty good but it feels as if the nerve is "waking up" and its ******

Last edited by acdfouch; 04-15-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
    mb100
    (male)

mb100 HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

Hey Ouch,

I had so many different aches and pains it's not funny. Must be careful what you attribute them to, our age group has lots of aches and pains anyway...
    Since you havent been too active in awhile that could be part of it. I know you probably dont want to hear that but it is certainly a possibility. Ask your physical therapist about it, or your doc. They've heard all this stuff.

One thing I havent seen on here is I had a heck of alot of pain in my collar bones. My doc laughed and said that was normal, That was immediatly after surgery and lasted a couple weeks and hurt like the dickens!!!

If these things persist, definitly get it checked out.

Remember, they call it therapy because it's therapy. If it was fun they would call it fun.

Take it slow....Mike

Old 04-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

It is very common to experaince it at that stage of your recovery. I won't go into details about mine, but for those that don't have a sucucessful outcome that is the worst part of the healing.
    For some it can affect everything from hot cold, to still numbness tingeling to causing continual muscle spams that are blow me over type of pain.
    If your pain isn't being treated make noise to your doc for pain relief and get help. If they will not give you the help you need to recover go to someone else that will

Old 04-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mb100
    Hey Ouch,

I had so many different aches and pains it's not funny. Must be careful what you attribute them to, our age group has lots of aches and pains anyway...
    Since you havent been too active in awhile that could be part of it. I know you probably dont want to hear that but it is certainly a possibility. Ask your physical therapist about it, or your doc. They've heard all this stuff.

One thing I havent seen on here is I had a heck of alot of pain in my collar bones. My doc laughed and said that was normal, That was immediatly after surgery and lasted a couple weeks and hurt like the dickens!!!

If these things persist, definitly get it checked out.

Remember, they call it therapy because it's therapy. If it was fun they would call it fun.

Take it slow....Mike
    I'm certain the therapy is adding to the mix...

But the pain I have been having is VERY nerve related.

It's all in the right spots for C6 nerve - like DEAD on ... And it comes and goes for no real rhyme or reason.

I'm going to give it another day or two but I'm currently attributing to the nerves waking up..

Old 04-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoey1
    It is very common to experaince it at that stage of your recovery. I won't go into details about mine, but for those that don't have a sucucessful outcome that is the worst part of the healing.
    For some it can affect everything from hot cold, to still numbness tingeling to causing continual muscle spams that are blow me over type of pain.
    If your pain isn't being treated make noise to your doc for pain relief and get help. If they will not give you the help you need to recover go to someone else that will
    This is comforting to hear to say the least!

What happened to you at a similar time?

And I'm not quite sure I understand what you meant...

..."for those that don't have a sucucessful outcome that is the worst part of the healing".

Do you mean you had the surgery, had the rough time recovering only to find that you never fully did recover?

I'm not quite sure what you mean.... I went through some of your old posts trying to get a better understanding and that was what I came up with. Or that you had other problems creep up at the same time?

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

I had something similar at about 5 weeks postop - I couldn't use my right arm at all, lasted about a week. I think your theory has some merit.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

Nerve pain was typical about 2 to 3 month mark the beginings of the incesion area started to heal as far as the tissues. The nerves take much longer to heal.
    I did have other comes up during that year which was very unprepared for i truely think the constant nerve pain was a contriubuting factor
    One of the things we see continualy on the boards and have for a few years is folks not taking there meds are or surprised they need it for long time afterwards ( that is normal to )

Old 04-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #8
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshine221
    I had something similar at about 5 weeks postop - I couldn't use my right arm at all, lasted about a week. I think your theory has some merit.
    And how are you doing these days?

How long ago was your surgery?

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Nerve pain was typical about 2 to 3 month mark the beginings of the incesion area started to heal as far as the tissues. The nerves take much longer to heal.
    I did have other comes up during that year which was very unprepared for i truely think the constant nerve pain was a contriubuting factor
    One of the things we see continualy on the boards and have for a few years is folks not taking there meds are or surprised they need it for long time afterwards ( that is normal to )
    Gotcha.

I think I understand what you were getting at...

In terms of the fusion, how is that doing these days?

Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 AM   #10
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

My surgon retired will try and bug my rhumy next week for an updated mri
    Still lots of issues, it is possible it either failed didn't take or re hernaited above and or below inital spot
    One of the other happenings was pain issues while i was aware it may or may not take care of it, at least before the fusion there were relief times , ( that it would flare up then ease back down)
    Now it feels like a rubber band all wound up all the time with intense pain, and no warning of when it flares up or not
    The scary times is when muscle spams occur on or near the surgery site.
    That is partly why i still feel there is nerve damage there
    You didn't metion it but are you getting better sleep now? How are you sleeping in a chair or pillows way proped up?

Old 04-17-2006, 05:58 AM   #11
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    My surgon retired will try and bug my rhumy next week for an updated mri
    Still lots of issues, it is possible it either failed didn't take or re hernaited above and or below inital spot
    One of the other happenings was pain issues while i was aware it may or may not take care of it, at least before the fusion there were relief times , ( that it would flare up then ease back down)
    Now it feels like a rubber band all wound up all the time with intense pain, and no warning of when it flares up or not
    The scary times is when muscle spams occur on or near the surgery site.
    That is partly why i still feel there is nerve damage there
    You didn't metion it but are you getting better sleep now? How are you sleeping in a chair or pillows way proped up?
    I'm getting much better sleep these days... I am sleeping in my own bed actually. Which is a nice change... I was in the recliner for about the first three weeks or so of the surgery.

Jeez!

I hope you all the best in the near future. Can you find another NS and start investigating MRIs etc to be sure that it hasn't failed / nothing else herniated / etc?

Last edited by acdfouch; 04-17-2006 at 06:00 AM.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #12
    mb100
    (male)

mb100 HB User

Hey Ouch,

I'm not sure my last posting came out right. Any pain that is very intense or persists I would talk to the Dr. about. I guess what I was saying was I had alot of things come then go. I wouldnt discount any pain you feel.

Mike

Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #13
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Hey Ouch,

I'm not sure my last posting came out right. Any pain that is very intense or persists I would talk to the Dr. about. I guess what I was saying was I had alot of things come then go. I wouldnt discount any pain you feel.

Mike
    Never thought for a moment you were

And part of my .... problem (?) at the moment is I am so (too?) committed to keep this diary up that I do report any little downfall and any victory.

So....

I agree with you 110%. If this is something that persisits - at the level it was at before (it has since settled down but not left me), something might be up.

All is good

Old 04-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Quote:
    Hey Ouch,

Mike
    Ouch,

I agree with Mike, as I posted in your other thread...keep an eye on this.

It may seem like your being a pest, but the truth is, you should see continuos improvement with few set backs. It's important to maintain the positive outlook, and not let every little thing bother you as you go along, like we talked before, but if something is wrong, you will/should be able to tell the difference, and you don't want to let it go, as it might need attention.

I had little of the "nerve awakening" phenom by your time period. Any that I did feel was pretty minor compared to before surgery. If you are feeling "intense" 7-8 level nerve pain, I would be somewhat concerned if it persists.

Dennis

Old 04-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennisgb
    Ouch,

I agree with Mike, as I posted in your other thread...keep an eye on this.

It may seem like your being a pest, but the truth is, you should see continuos improvement with few set backs. It's important to maintain the positive outlook, and not let every little thing bother you as you go along, like we talked before, but if something is wrong, you will/should be able to tell the difference, and you don't want to let it go, as it might need attention.

I had little of the "nerve awakening" phenom by your time period. Any that I did feel was pretty minor compared to before surgery. If you are feeling "intense" 7-8 level nerve pain, I would be somewhat concerned if it persists.

Dennis
    Agreed....

My wife talked to the nurse a short bit ago.

She agreed - it should not have just come out of nowhere.

At the same time, I am doing PT. She siad that perhaps that is what is bringing it on and to discuss it with them.

So - That's what I will be doing in a short while.

See what they have to say.

More to come!

Closed Thread