It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

  • Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 04-15-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
    acdfouch
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 218
    acdfouch HB User
    Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Question for the vets.

    Thought I would do this outside of the almighty thread so to attract more opinions.

    When you started getting better and not in surgery pain.... Did you notice the nerve "waking up"?

    I have noticed a lot of tingling (never had that pre surgery - just numb and general pain) and I now have CRAZY nerve specific pain (C6 stuff like forearm etc) where it feels like someone is hammering my forearm.... And I never felt the forearm / wrist stuff... But WOW do I now! It doesn't seem to last too long but it has been coming and going over the past couple of days..

    I suspect that I have ignored this problem for a very long time and this is the proccess of the nerve waking up...

    Anyone else out there with a similar experience during the recovery? In other words, I have been doing pretty good but it feels as if the nerve is "waking up" and its ******

    Last edited by acdfouch; 04-15-2006 at 05:37 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 04-16-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
    mb100
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: island lake, il
    Posts: 225
    mb100 HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Hey Ouch,

    I had so many different aches and pains it's not funny. Must be careful what you attribute them to, our age group has lots of aches and pains anyway...
    Since you havent been too active in awhile that could be part of it. I know you probably dont want to hear that but it is certainly a possibility. Ask your physical therapist about it, or your doc. They've heard all this stuff.

    One thing I havent seen on here is I had a heck of alot of pain in my collar bones. My doc laughed and said that was normal, That was immediatly after surgery and lasted a couple weeks and hurt like the dickens!!!

    If these things persist, definitly get it checked out.

    Remember, they call it therapy because it's therapy. If it was fun they would call it fun.

    Take it slow....Mike

     
    Old 04-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Posts: 552
    zoey1 HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    It is very common to experaince it at that stage of your recovery. I won't go into details about mine, but for those that don't have a sucucessful outcome that is the worst part of the healing.
    For some it can affect everything from hot cold, to still numbness tingeling to causing continual muscle spams that are blow me over type of pain.
    If your pain isn't being treated make noise to your doc for pain relief and get help. If they will not give you the help you need to recover go to someone else that will

     
    Old 04-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
    acdfouch
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 218
    acdfouch HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mb100
    Hey Ouch,

    I had so many different aches and pains it's not funny. Must be careful what you attribute them to, our age group has lots of aches and pains anyway...
    Since you havent been too active in awhile that could be part of it. I know you probably dont want to hear that but it is certainly a possibility. Ask your physical therapist about it, or your doc. They've heard all this stuff.

    One thing I havent seen on here is I had a heck of alot of pain in my collar bones. My doc laughed and said that was normal, That was immediatly after surgery and lasted a couple weeks and hurt like the dickens!!!

    If these things persist, definitly get it checked out.

    Remember, they call it therapy because it's therapy. If it was fun they would call it fun.

    Take it slow....Mike
    I'm certain the therapy is adding to the mix...

    But the pain I have been having is VERY nerve related.

    It's all in the right spots for C6 nerve - like DEAD on ... And it comes and goes for no real rhyme or reason.

    I'm going to give it another day or two but I'm currently attributing to the nerves waking up..

     
    Old 04-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
    acdfouch
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 218
    acdfouch HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoey1
    It is very common to experaince it at that stage of your recovery. I won't go into details about mine, but for those that don't have a sucucessful outcome that is the worst part of the healing.
    For some it can affect everything from hot cold, to still numbness tingeling to causing continual muscle spams that are blow me over type of pain.
    If your pain isn't being treated make noise to your doc for pain relief and get help. If they will not give you the help you need to recover go to someone else that will
    This is comforting to hear to say the least!

    What happened to you at a similar time?

    And I'm not quite sure I understand what you meant...

    ..."for those that don't have a sucucessful outcome that is the worst part of the healing".

    Do you mean you had the surgery, had the rough time recovering only to find that you never fully did recover?

    I'm not quite sure what you mean.... I went through some of your old posts trying to get a better understanding and that was what I came up with. Or that you had other problems creep up at the same time?

    Thanks.

     
    Old 04-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Posts: 409
    sunshine221 HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    I had something similar at about 5 weeks postop - I couldn't use my right arm at all, lasted about a week. I think your theory has some merit.

     
    Old 04-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Posts: 552
    zoey1 HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Nerve pain was typical about 2 to 3 month mark the beginings of the incesion area started to heal as far as the tissues. The nerves take much longer to heal.
    I did have other comes up during that year which was very unprepared for i truely think the constant nerve pain was a contriubuting factor
    One of the things we see continualy on the boards and have for a few years is folks not taking there meds are or surprised they need it for long time afterwards ( that is normal to )

     
    Old 04-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #8
    acdfouch
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 218
    acdfouch HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshine221
    I had something similar at about 5 weeks postop - I couldn't use my right arm at all, lasted about a week. I think your theory has some merit.
    And how are you doing these days?

    How long ago was your surgery?

    Thanks!

     
    Old 04-17-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
    acdfouch
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 218
    acdfouch HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoey1
    Nerve pain was typical about 2 to 3 month mark the beginings of the incesion area started to heal as far as the tissues. The nerves take much longer to heal.
    I did have other comes up during that year which was very unprepared for i truely think the constant nerve pain was a contriubuting factor
    One of the things we see continualy on the boards and have for a few years is folks not taking there meds are or surprised they need it for long time afterwards ( that is normal to )
    Gotcha.

    I think I understand what you were getting at...

    In terms of the fusion, how is that doing these days?

     
    Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 AM   #10
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Posts: 552
    zoey1 HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    My surgon retired will try and bug my rhumy next week for an updated mri
    Still lots of issues, it is possible it either failed didn't take or re hernaited above and or below inital spot
    One of the other happenings was pain issues while i was aware it may or may not take care of it, at least before the fusion there were relief times , ( that it would flare up then ease back down)
    Now it feels like a rubber band all wound up all the time with intense pain, and no warning of when it flares up or not
    The scary times is when muscle spams occur on or near the surgery site.
    That is partly why i still feel there is nerve damage there
    You didn't metion it but are you getting better sleep now? How are you sleeping in a chair or pillows way proped up?

     
    Old 04-17-2006, 05:58 AM   #11
    acdfouch
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 218
    acdfouch HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoey1
    My surgon retired will try and bug my rhumy next week for an updated mri
    Still lots of issues, it is possible it either failed didn't take or re hernaited above and or below inital spot
    One of the other happenings was pain issues while i was aware it may or may not take care of it, at least before the fusion there were relief times , ( that it would flare up then ease back down)
    Now it feels like a rubber band all wound up all the time with intense pain, and no warning of when it flares up or not
    The scary times is when muscle spams occur on or near the surgery site.
    That is partly why i still feel there is nerve damage there
    You didn't metion it but are you getting better sleep now? How are you sleeping in a chair or pillows way proped up?
    I'm getting much better sleep these days... I am sleeping in my own bed actually. Which is a nice change... I was in the recliner for about the first three weeks or so of the surgery.

    Jeez!

    I hope you all the best in the near future. Can you find another NS and start investigating MRIs etc to be sure that it hasn't failed / nothing else herniated / etc?

    Last edited by acdfouch; 04-17-2006 at 06:00 AM.

     
    Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #12
    mb100
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: island lake, il
    Posts: 225
    mb100 HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Hey Ouch,

    I'm not sure my last posting came out right. Any pain that is very intense or persists I would talk to the Dr. about. I guess what I was saying was I had alot of things come then go. I wouldnt discount any pain you feel.

    Mike

     
    Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #13
    acdfouch
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 218
    acdfouch HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mb100
    Hey Ouch,

    I'm not sure my last posting came out right. Any pain that is very intense or persists I would talk to the Dr. about. I guess what I was saying was I had alot of things come then go. I wouldnt discount any pain you feel.

    Mike
    Never thought for a moment you were

    And part of my .... problem (?) at the moment is I am so (too?) committed to keep this diary up that I do report any little downfall and any victory.

    So....

    I agree with you 110%. If this is something that persisits - at the level it was at before (it has since settled down but not left me), something might be up.

    All is good

     
    Old 04-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
    dennisgb
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Posts: 555
    dennisgb HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mb100
    Hey Ouch,

    I'm not sure my last posting came out right. Any pain that is very intense or persists I would talk to the Dr. about. I guess what I was saying was I had alot of things come then go. I wouldnt discount any pain you feel.

    Mike
    Ouch,

    I agree with Mike, as I posted in your other thread...keep an eye on this.

    It may seem like your being a pest, but the truth is, you should see continuos improvement with few set backs. It's important to maintain the positive outlook, and not let every little thing bother you as you go along, like we talked before, but if something is wrong, you will/should be able to tell the difference, and you don't want to let it go, as it might need attention.

    I had little of the "nerve awakening" phenom by your time period. Any that I did feel was pretty minor compared to before surgery. If you are feeling "intense" 7-8 level nerve pain, I would be somewhat concerned if it persists.

    Dennis

     
    Old 04-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
    acdfouch
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Posts: 218
    acdfouch HB User
    Re: Intense Nerve Pain - 7 Weeks PostOp ACDF C5/6

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennisgb
    Ouch,

    I agree with Mike, as I posted in your other thread...keep an eye on this.

    It may seem like your being a pest, but the truth is, you should see continuos improvement with few set backs. It's important to maintain the positive outlook, and not let every little thing bother you as you go along, like we talked before, but if something is wrong, you will/should be able to tell the difference, and you don't want to let it go, as it might need attention.

    I had little of the "nerve awakening" phenom by your time period. Any that I did feel was pretty minor compared to before surgery. If you are feeling "intense" 7-8 level nerve pain, I would be somewhat concerned if it persists.

    Dennis
    Agreed....

    My wife talked to the nurse a short bit ago.

    She agreed - it should not have just come out of nowhere.

    At the same time, I am doing PT. She siad that perhaps that is what is bringing it on and to discuss it with them.

    So - That's what I will be doing in a short while.

    See what they have to say.

    More to come!

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Intense Pain in front tooth - Nerve issues? I'm at a loss! jeremiabullfrog Dental Health 4 11-06-2007 08:21 AM
    Intense Pain without wearing brace babs17 Back Problems 2 11-19-2006 12:00 PM
    C5/C6 AND C6/7 With Inter scapular Pain Mary.T Spinal Cord Disorders 3 07-24-2004 01:00 PM
    Re: acdf outpatient, No surgery, nerve damage? j_f_2003 Spinal Cord Disorders 13 09-07-2003 04:38 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 AM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!