It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neck pain changing sides???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
    lulu222
    (female)

lulu222 HB User
    Neck pain changing sides???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My diagnosis was DDD (disc bulge) with bone spurs at the C4-C7 area. Also a possible herniation. The pain originally was on the right side of my neck, down to the middle of the right shoulder blade where it felt like a pinched nerve. The diagnosis was about 2 months ago and I'm currently in PT.

Sunday I had horrible pain in my left shoulder and today the horrible pain has moved to the left side of my neck. Right now the right side just feels weak, no pain. Any ideas? Is it unusual for the pain to move like this? If not, why? Is it something I'm doing?

My next appointment with the Neurosurgeon is not for two weeks and I know they won't move it up.

Thank you for any feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: Neck pain changing sides???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lulu222
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My diagnosis was DDD (disc bulge) with bone spurs at the C4-C7 area. Also a possible herniation. The pain originally was on the right side of my neck, down to the middle of the right shoulder blade where it felt like a pinched nerve. The diagnosis was about 2 months ago and I'm currently in PT.

Sunday I had horrible pain in my left shoulder and today the horrible pain has moved to the left side of my neck. Right now the right side just feels weak, no pain. Any ideas? Is it unusual for the pain to move like this? If not, why? Is it something I'm doing?

My next appointment with the Neurosurgeon is not for two weeks and I know they won't move it up.

Thank you for any feedback.
    Lulu,

It's very common with cervical spine problems to have muscle spasms in the shoulders, back and neck that can be on the side of the spurs, and also on the opposite side. It can move from one side to the other.

What's happening is, you have a pain from the nerves that are being irritated from the spurs or herniation. Your body's defense is to use the muscles to "protect" the area in a sense. This is not a normal thing for them to do, so they spasm. Also, you may be holding your head or neck differently, or sleeping in a funny position to eliviate the pain. This results in spasms to.

The spasms can be treated with alternating heat and cold. try to pinpoint the area by massaging or have someone massage your neck and shoulders, and then apply heat for 15 minutes, then cold for another 15. That will give you some relief.

Have your doctors given you any ideas for treatment?

Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 04-19-2006 at 07:57 AM.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
    myjas2001
    (female)

myjas2001 HB User

I had a herniation at c6-7 on the left side. After a few weeks therapy it went to the right side. MRI verified this. I eventually had to have an ACDF. Hopefully you won't have to go that route.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
    lulu222
    (female)

lulu222 HB User

The neurosurgeon told my doctor I may be a surgery candidate but wanted me to have at least 6 weeks of physical therapy first. The doctor talked to me about an epidural. He said one of his patients had permanant nerve damage from one which didn't give me much confidence. The P/T has been good with the massage and I'm doing the heat and ice. Any relief has been temporary.

Thank you all for responding. Not understanding what is going on with your body when you're in pain just adds to all of the stress.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Lulu,

Your pretty much on the normal course with this.

I had the epidurals in the neck, and they worked for about a month. It's really critical they get the stuff in the right place. The problem is, if there are bone spurs (which) I had, you won't get permanent relief, because they are still there. If you just have a herniation, or if that is causing most of your pain they might work. It's not fun though...having a big needle stuck in your neck...yikes!

Dennis

Old 04-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I have experienced side changes. i mostly have right side osteophytes, but certains days it moves to hurt on left as well. especially on weather day changes, like rainy, humid cloudy. In my reading i kind of assumed it has to do with swelling/inflammation that goes on in there, puts pressure on the whole area. i like the selective nerve root blocks - they worked for a short period of time, they wear off, but when they did, i was a little better than prior for a while, until it builds back up. i am having my 2nd acdf on 5/1. i had C4-6 done 12/04. good luck.

Closed Thread