It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 3wks post adcf surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
    mitchie1
    (female)

mitchie1 HB User
    3wks post adcf surgery

i didn't know whether to continue on my last thread or not. i am feeling much better. my neck & back do get stiff occassionally, & my hip is so sore. it still hurts to lay on that side. i am no longer taking the darvocet, or the hydrocodone (which i found i can take), i am taking 800mg ibuprofen & a few neurontin here & there. sometimes standing for awhile or even moving around really hurts. what kind of exercises can any of you suggest?
    i would be lost w/o this board. it has been a godsend for me. i am grateful to all of you who take the time to post a reply.
    thanks again to you all. take care & God bless.
    i think of those of you who are in such pain & you are in my prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User
    Re: 3wks post adcf surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchie1
    i didn't know whether to continue on my last thread or not. i am feeling much better. my neck & back do get stiff occassionally, & my hip is so sore. it still hurts to lay on that side. i am no longer taking the darvocet, or the hydrocodone (which i found i can take), i am taking 800mg ibuprofen & a few neurontin here & there. sometimes standing for awhile or even moving around really hurts. what kind of exercises can any of you suggest?
    i would be lost w/o this board. it has been a godsend for me. i am grateful to all of you who take the time to post a reply.
    thanks again to you all. take care & God bless.
    i think of those of you who are in such pain & you are in my prayers.
    The first thing that jumps out at me personally is this :

800mg ibuprofen

I would REALLLLLLLLLY suggest that you consider not taking that.

There are no definitive studies to say 110% that yes, ibuprofren (NSAIDs) will inhibit fusions.... There are some that say that under x, y, z AND ibuprofren less people fused... And there are some that say under x and iburprofren... You get the point.

BUT - why risk it if you can avoid it, right?

Could you get away with just tylenol instead?

Old 04-20-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
    mitchie1
    (female)

mitchie1 HB User
    Question Re: 3wks post adcf surgery

i could take just the tylenol. i don't understand why my n/s would prescribe that ibuprofen then?

Old 04-20-2006, 01:41 AM   #4
    JackieH
    (female)

JackieH HB User

Mitchie,

I don't want to add another to your med's situation. But I was concerned about the comment you made reg. taking neurontin here & there. This is an anti epileptic drug found to help w/nerve pain. The pharmacist & my doc told me you have to slooooowly build to a high enough dose to help (as high as 3600mgs or more,) over a period of days & weeks. Then when you come off, you have to slooowly lower the dose. This is because it can actually cause seizures..even a gran-mal (sp?) seizure.
    Please ask your doc about this, K? (You can read about it on the net also.)

For your hip....I understand fully!!! I was able to sleep on it after the 1st month & the last few weeks it hardly bothers me at all. (Still have a large numb patch on my upper thigh that is coming back a tiny bit every day, but feels weird like after the dentist.)
    My NS prescribed Ketorolac anti-inflamitory & it helped quite a bit for a while.

Hang in there, baby. Every week gets better.

You have my prayers as well.
    Jackie

Old 04-20-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
    mitchie1
    (female)

mitchie1 HB User
    Talking Re: 3wks post adcf surgery

i will ask about the nuerontin doing that. does the keterolac help you w/ pain or just for inflammation? just curious.
    i drove tonite. (not sposed' to til next wk., but hubby wouldn't get up & i needed smokes.)
    thanks for your reply. i always look forward to suggestions. are there any exersises i can be doing for my leg/ hip pain? that you know are safe?
    thanks, michelle*

Old 04-20-2006, 06:39 AM   #6
    ember919
    (female)

ember919 HB User

um, i hate to jump on the train, but are you smoking post-surgery? that, in addition to not taking NSAIDs, is a big no-no for the first three months. popular medical opinion these days is that it will inhibit your fusion.

i also agree w/ jackie about the neurontin not being an "as needed" med. neurontin has a very short half-life and taking is "now and then" is not doing you any good. most people need at least a week, maybe more, before starting to benefit from it.

wishing you the best. take care!

Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    i could take just the tylenol. i don't understand why my n/s would prescribe that ibuprofen then?
    Some (mine included) dont think the NSAID theory holds any water.

Lots do - its kind of like the hip vs the cadaver idea.

There is some studies that suggest that it might be a better choice for the hip.. But the choice / difference is very minimal (for single level fusions)... Even so, some people choose the hip to stack the odds just that little more.

I would say same goes for NSAIDs.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
    ThoreauFan
    (male)

ThoreauFan HB User

Keep in mind, the NS may also have prescribed the NSAI for a reason. Some people's need for anti-inflammatory medications can outweigh any purported possibility of an anti-inflammatory medication inhibiting fusion.

I've read a gazillion studies on fusions and much - if not most - of the data is pure corollary, not cause/effect. There is a big, big difference. I have even read a study in which the fusion rate was higher in the smoking group. There are studies correlating level of education and income to fusion rates. Yes. Really. Same types of thing for self-reporting of symptoms.

I'm not suggesting that anyone begin taking NSAIs or start smoking, BTW.

But don't throw yourself off a cliff because you read something on the internet, either.

Worry and anxiety has physical effects on the body, too. Remain positive.

Standard disclaimer: Each individual and his/her physicians will be in the best position to fully explain the risks, etc., involved in his/her course of treatment. Most importantly, the procedure has an extremely high rate of success.

Last edited by funny4mony; 04-20-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
    JackieH
    (female)

JackieH HB User

Hi Mitchie,

Ketorolac helped me w/pain enough to make it worth the sleepiness.

For your hip....driving for cigs is not a good exercise.
    I like to do aqua leg exercises in my spa at 92' as it doesn't hurt too much & it must be good for ya. But you should ask your doc 1st.

Bye for now,
    Jackie

Old 04-24-2006, 01:07 AM   #10
    ThoreauFan
    (male)

ThoreauFan HB User

Mitchie,

We didn't scare you off, did we?

How are you feeling these days?

We're waiting...

Old 04-26-2006, 03:32 AM   #11
    mitchie1
    (female)

mitchie1 HB User
    Wink Re: 3wks post adcf surgery

i have been doing really well lately. my brother & i have been taking my dogs out for a walk, which helps me a great deal. my leg still gets stiff & sore, but nothing like it was before.
    when i see my n/s next wk. i am hoping he will release me for work. i miss my social life & friends there. i don't know if he will start me at 1/2 days or just go for the whole day. i know i will be exhausted considering how long it has been for me. i will probably fall asleep in the fitting room. ha ha.
    i'll keep posting. thanks for everything.
    peace & love to you all.
    michelle*

Old 05-05-2006, 03:11 AM   #12
    mitchie1
    (female)

mitchie1 HB User
    Talking Re: 3wks post adcf surgery

i started back to work wed 3rd half days. i was so exhausted by the time i got home. my hip & leg were hurting so very badly. i imagine i just need to keep moving.
    mitchie*

Old 05-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #13
    mitchie1
    (female)

mitchie1 HB User
    Unhappy Re: 3wks post adcf surgery

i have really been hurting alot the past couple days. i was wondering if the hip & leg pain like this is normal. my neck started hurting again. i don't want to take any pain killers while i am at work. i have been sitting down off & on just to take some of the edge off. can any of you tell me if this is ok & what i can do in the meantime? i want to be back at my normal speed & just feel so cruddy.
    thanks all.
    michelle*

Old 05-08-2006, 05:09 AM   #14
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    i have really been hurting alot the past couple days. i was wondering if the hip & leg pain like this is normal. my neck started hurting again. i don't want to take any pain killers while i am at work. i have been sitting down off & on just to take some of the edge off. can any of you tell me if this is ok & what i can do in the meantime? i want to be back at my normal speed & just feel so cruddy.
    thanks all.
    michelle*
    I can't comment on the hip and leg pain but are you doing too much too soon at work? Perhaps on a weekend (if possible) relax as much as you can and see if things improve? That would probably be a pretty easy way to say that yes you are doing too much.

Also- I forget if you had a collar. Even without, I'm sure your muscles are a little sore / underused at the moment and need to be retrained. Perhaps PT if you are allowed would be helpful?

Old 05-11-2006, 11:40 PM   #15
    mitchie1
    (female)

mitchie1 HB User
    Smile Re: 3wks post adcf surgery

i had a couple of days off & i am feeling better. i am still tiring too easily. ( i know it will take time; i am just impatient.)
    thanks for your reply.
    michelle*

Closed Thread