It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• PT after one level fusion - two month postop - Questions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User
    PT after one level fusion - two month postop - Questions?

Thought I would pull this out of my thread for some more comments.

Dennis and mb100 have given me some great thoughts and ideas to take back to my PT and for me to maul over and I'm looking for some more.

Howdy all.

I've been progressing much better for those that have been following my thread.

I have just accepted that I am not one of those people that just wake up better and just trying to make the best of things.

Now, I have been doing PT for two weeks.

I had a ACDF(P) on Feb 27th. C5/6. Donor bone.

Now here's my PT (in order too) :

Moist heat 15 min

Rowing machine 5 min level 2

All strenghting exercises 2 sets 15 reps
    Chest press 12.5 pounds
    Pullback 12.5 pounds
    Pulldown 12.5 pounds

Shoulder shrug 2 pounds
    Bicep curl 3 pounds
    Hands out to side - palms up - bring to shoulder level - 2 pounds
    Arms down to side - bring them up to shoulder level while at side - 2 pounds
    Grab pole - up to shoulder level with elbows as high as possible

Stretches
    All stretches 15 sec hold 2 times

Look left
    Look right
    Head turned to shoulder right
    Head turned to shoulder left
    Same as above but hold wrist and turn to opposite side while pulling wrist
    ... And here the one I have not done since the first week
    Look up
    Look down

Overall...

Comments? Suggestions?

I would REALLY like to hear YES, I've done all that - no problem. Or - holy #@@#*#@)*$ why are they having you do that? I would do x/y/z etc etc..

Now - keep in mind my stats / surgery :

31 years
    175 pounds
    5'7
    (so i could lose a little but im doing "ok-ish")
    Eat very healthy but have a very sedentary life style (computer geek for living)
    1 level ACDF(P) Feb 27th

I would love to hear comments and suggestions!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
    whackedback
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
    Re: PT after one level fusion - two month postop - Questions?

Ouch -

How are you feeling after these PT sessions? I hope your therapist is evaluating you at regular intervals. If you don't feel you are being challeged enough tell them, but if they tell you that you should be conservative, do it. You can always start the heavy weights a few months later. It's not going to change much.

Also, have you looked into massage for deep tissue muscle release? If you can go through that, it will let you know how you are really doing.

wb

Old 04-27-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whackedback
    Ouch -

How are you feeling after these PT sessions? I hope your therapist is evaluating you at regular intervals. If you don't feel you are being challeged enough tell them, but if they tell you that you should be conservative, do it. You can always start the heavy weights a few months later. It's not going to change much.

Also, have you looked into massage for deep tissue muscle release? If you can go through that, it will let you know how you are really doing.

wb
    Generally speaking, I feel pretty beat up after the PT - its still new and I was doing nothing for about a month

And I'm in no rush at all to show off with the weights. I have no pride when I go there so its not a big deal at all!

And last, no, I haven't gotten any massage stuff yet.

I plan to do that in about a month or two .. or at least after my upcoming NS visit to see how the fusion is coming along.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Ouch -

In my non-professional opinion your regimine sounds about right.

Off topic - or perhaps not -- you say you are 31 - what caused your problem in the first place (I know I could go back to old threads, but I'm busy at work (as a computer geek myself)). My doctor says my spinal stenosis was "caused" by wear and tear - I'm 48 and have been in the computer industry for 24 years, I was an engineer before that -- I've now adjusted my desk, chair, etc and I watch my posture -- but if sitting at a desk 8+ hours a day can cause these problems .............

Old 04-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshine221
    Ouch -

In my non-professional opinion your regimine sounds about right.

Off topic - or perhaps not -- you say you are 31 - what caused your problem in the first place (I know I could go back to old threads, but I'm busy at work (as a computer geek myself)). My doctor says my spinal stenosis was "caused" by wear and tear - I'm 48 and have been in the computer industry for 24 years, I was an engineer before that -- I've now adjusted my desk, chair, etc and I watch my posture -- but if sitting at a desk 8+ hours a day can cause these problems .............
    Bang - you got it.

Sounds like we are two of the same!

I'm a 110% computer geek - in work and outside.

I've been doing computers since I was about 4 apparently I've seen the pictures.

I had the stereotypical days and nights - tons of soda, staying up all night... etc etc... the odd thing about me is that somehow I am a very personable person and can communicate in the "real world".

But I digress... I have ALWAYS had VERY VERY bad posture and never sat right / looked ahead at the screen. I had rounded shoulders and droopy head. 24x7!!

So... I too can not remember one particular instance that brought it all on for me... Just overuse.

I tell people that ask how that I am basically the equivalent of a super athlete when it comes to computers and my body now shows the wear and tear.

So - I, like you, are doing anything and EVERYTHING I can to change that. Getting up and walking around after long sessions (at least every hourish)... Walking 30 mins a day... Eating crazy healthy ... Posture... Everything and anything I can.

I'm going to do everything I can to stay as healthy as possible.

One little side note that I should include in my other thread but will make sense here too...

How many people that have cervical issues find that the rest of their posture sucks? I have found that as I have been improving it, my back is cracking ALL the time... It's just simply not used to it. Perhaps I'm not moving enough... Dunno. Gonna ask mr PT about that today as well. I've found a couple of recent back cracks (not out of choice but just happens.. I don't try to make it happen) I've had a few muscle pulls midback... Ouch!

Old 04-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #6
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

..... and my update.

Got isometrics before my stretches today.

5 sec hold 15x each (!)

front of head
    side of head
    back of head

... Guess my guy (for whatever reason) believes it was more important to stretch the muscles out first then move to the isometrics (?)

Old 04-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acdfouch
    How many people that have cervical issues find that the rest of their posture sucks? I have found that as I have been improving it, my back is cracking ALL the time... It's just simply not used to it. Perhaps I'm not moving enough... Dunno. Gonna ask mr PT about that today as well. I've found a couple of recent back cracks (not out of choice but just happens.. I don't try to make it happen) I've had a few muscle pulls midback... Ouch!
    Cracks and pops are a good thing. That means you are loosening up...a very good sign. If you don't here them, then you are tightening up...muscle spasms

I try to get my body to make those noises. You should try laying on the floor on your back with the weights on your chest and held in each hand. Try to push your shoulders flat to the floor with the weights resting there. I get a bunch of pops and cracks when I do this. I feel great all day when it happens. Lately I been doing this every night before I go to bed too...you'd be surprised how you tighten up after a day of work.

That's basically what chiropractors do, get the stress out of your bones...I think the nerves are involved too.

Anyway, this is good to hear. Your making progress.

Oh, BTW my posture used to suck.

Dennis

Old 04-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennisgb
    Cracks and pops are a good thing. That means you are loosening up...a very good sign. If you don't here them, then you are tightening up...muscle spasms

I try to get my body to make those noises. You should try laying on the floor on your back with the weights on your chest and held in each hand. Try to push your shoulders flat to the floor with the weights resting there. I get a bunch of pops and cracks when I do this. I feel great all day when it happens. Lately I been doing this every night before I go to bed too...you'd be surprised how you tighten up after a day of work.

That's basically what chiropractors do, get the stress out of your bones...I think the nerves are involved too.

Anyway, this is good to hear. Your making progress.

Oh, BTW my posture used to suck.

Dennis
    Welp, dennis my friend if that is progress, I must be making a LOT of it

And I am realllllllllllllllllllly making headway on the posture.

It's almost NOT feeling strange to have good posture

Old 04-28-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acdfouch
    Welp, dennis my friend if that is progress, I must be making a LOT of it

And I am realllllllllllllllllllly making headway on the posture.

It's almost NOT feeling strange to have good posture
    Ouch,

My neck was a mess before my surgery. The two disks were pretty much gone. The weight of my head would push the vertabrae to the side, they would slide out of position. This would press on the nerves.

For about eight years before my surgery, I went to a chiropractor once a week. He would move the vertabrae back into position. He would try to get a "crack". This would relieve the stress and I always felt great afterwards. This worked for a long time, and allowed me to avoid surgery. Every couple of months he would "zipper" my spine, all the way down. You lay on your stomach and they put pressure on your spine and run their hands all the way down. It would pop and crack at each joint. I would feel like a million bucks after that.

He taught me how to manipulate my neck, and if I was having severe pain, I could move the vertabrae myself off the nerve(s). That's how I lasted for so long before I had the surgery. I am alergic to aspirin and ibropropen, so this was one of my only sources of pain relief.

I know there are many that don't "believe" in chiropractic. My experience was very good. I never had any pain from the treatments. My chiropractor once found a medical problem and sent me to my GP doctor. What they found could have killed me had it not been discovered.

Anyway, those pops and cracks are a good thing...as long as they don't hurt. I find that when it happens I feel much less pain. I still get a lot of stress in my shoulders, and those pops are my friend. I know, if I miss a session with my weights, that those stresses are much harder to release, that's why it's important to be religious in your excercise.

Dennis

Old 04-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #10
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennisgb
    Ouch,

My neck was a mess before my surgery. The two disks were pretty much gone. The weight of my head would push the vertabrae to the side, they would slide out of position. This would press on the nerves.

For about eight years before my surgery, I went to a chiropractor once a week. He would move the vertabrae back into position. He would try to get a "crack". This would relieve the stress and I always felt great afterwards. This worked for a long time, and allowed me to avoid surgery. Every couple of months he would "zipper" my spine, all the way down. You lay on your stomach and they put pressure on your spine and run their hands all the way down. It would pop and crack at each joint. I would feel like a million bucks after that.

He taught me how to manipulate my neck, and if I was having severe pain, I could move the vertabrae myself off the nerve(s). That's how I lasted for so long before I had the surgery. I am alergic to aspirin and ibropropen, so this was one of my only sources of pain relief.

I know there are many that don't "believe" in chiropractic. My experience was very good. I never had any pain from the treatments. My chiropractor once found a medical problem and sent me to my GP doctor. What they found could have killed me had it not been discovered.

Anyway, those pops and cracks are a good thing...as long as they don't hurt. I find that when it happens I feel much less pain. I still get a lot of stress in my shoulders, and those pops are my friend. I know, if I miss a session with my weights, that those stresses are much harder to release, that's why it's important to be religious in your excercise.

Dennis
    Oh yea.

My new religion is exercise.

110%

Old 04-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
    ember919
    (female)

ember919 HB User

You touched on something I've wondered about. I'm in my early 40s and several docs commented on how 'young' I was to be having this type of surgery. And it seemed that much of the ACDF information I found on the internet referenced 'elderly' patients as though that were the norm. But in reading posts here, I found that most people seemed to be right around my age, not much more than mabye +/- 10 years difference.

Just out of curiousity, how many ended up with surgery because of an accident or injury and how many had it just due to, um, natural causes? And how old were you at the time of surgery?

Funny, too, the references to computer use. Most of my work history has involved being at a computer most of the day, and I spent a good amount of time piddling around on it at home, as well. My posture is awful, classic slumped shoulders and head forward position. I would sometimes use a posture brace, the kind that pulled my shoulders back, but I'd still end up sticking my head forward. Trying to be more aware of it now, but old habits are awfully hard to break.

Perhaps connection between computer usage and the neck problems is one of those unanticipated medical issues that only shows up over time. I hear lots of stuff about hand and wrist and eye problems, maybe shoulder and back fatigue, but really nothing about the neck.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I'll be 40 in August and mine is pretty much due to 'natural causes'. My C5-C7 ACDF is 05/18 (in 18 days - yikes!)

Old 04-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ember919
    You touched on something I've wondered about. I'm in my early 40s and several docs commented on how 'young' I was to be having this type of surgery. And it seemed that much of the ACDF information I found on the internet referenced 'elderly' patients as though that were the norm. But in reading posts here, I found that most people seemed to be right around my age, not much more than mabye +/- 10 years difference.

Just out of curiousity, how many ended up with surgery because of an accident or injury and how many had it just due to, um, natural causes? And how old were you at the time of surgery?

Funny, too, the references to computer use. Most of my work history has involved being at a computer most of the day, and I spent a good amount of time piddling around on it at home, as well. My posture is awful, classic slumped shoulders and head forward position. I would sometimes use a posture brace, the kind that pulled my shoulders back, but I'd still end up sticking my head forward. Trying to be more aware of it now, but old habits are awfully hard to break.

Perhaps connection between computer usage and the neck problems is one of those unanticipated medical issues that only shows up over time. I hear lots of stuff about hand and wrist and eye problems, maybe shoulder and back fatigue, but really nothing about the neck.
    There was a little link on slashdot recently that was an article about "geek injuries" of the future / present ...

Neck / fusions / etc were one of them believe it or not - not just the usual "carpal tunnel" junk.

Yup.

Looks like it is a trend for sure.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #14
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Hey Ouch how did you feel after PT? I am hoping to start soon and I know I will be sore. I tried a few times to lift like 3lbs and ache like heck a hour later. To think I was pretty strong and a weight lifter a year ago. So sad....I was thinking while walking with the baby yesterday that just a mere few years ago I competed in running races, barrell racing and lifted weights 3-4 times a week. I have lost it all now and can't wait to get back to riding, and working out. I may never run like I did before but at least I can get some muscle tone back on my body before I loose it all and am just old.

How long were you out of work? I think I am going to post that question out of curiousity.............

K

Old 05-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #15
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Backinthesaddle
    Hey Ouch how did you feel after PT? I am hoping to start soon and I know I will be sore. I tried a few times to lift like 3lbs and ache like heck a hour later. To think I was pretty strong and a weight lifter a year ago. So sad....I was thinking while walking with the baby yesterday that just a mere few years ago I competed in running races, barrell racing and lifted weights 3-4 times a week. I have lost it all now and can't wait to get back to riding, and working out. I may never run like I did before but at least I can get some muscle tone back on my body before I loose it all and am just old.

How long were you out of work? I think I am going to post that question out of curiousity.............

K
    I *believe* at this point I am at this level :

3 weeks back to work
    4 weeks into PT
    8 weeks I was out of work

And yea - expect to be sore. Matter of fact, I had my share of "scary" soreness from time to time... So much so that it made me post this post and look for an alternative PT "just in case".

Fast forward to today and I think I'm doing pretty well overall. My strength is nowhere near back full yet but ... It's getting there.

And I think PT played a big role in this.

As dennis and mike say.. If it hurts - don't do it.

But I think you will find initially that the distinction between discomfort (ok) and pain (not ok) is pretty difficult to distignuish. That alone was the reason I seeked out my new PT. Hope he is as good as I believe he is!

Getting that one on one I think is very important... My current place just can't provide it.. It's not a puppy mill of PT per say, but they are a very here's-your-stuff-to-do-go-do-it type of place... Good for "normal" injuries but not very good approach for something like a fusion in my opinon. But - if I get a simiar regiment from the new guy... We'll see.

I certainlly will let everyone know the case this evening.

Closed Thread