It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• arm numbness ?s

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #1
    nibroc
    (female)

nibroc HB User
    arm numbness ?s

Had ACDF surgery for herniated disk w/myleopathy and bone spurs Jan, 2006. Prior to surgery, EMG testing showed left sided cervical radiculopathy, however it is mainly my right arm that is numb below elbow into my thumb. My doctor now believes I may have carpal tunnel in the right arm even though the EMG is negative.

If this is related to my neck problems, have any of you had the feeling come back to your arm and if so, how long did it take?

Any advice or suggestions???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
    jenjen393
    (female)

jenjen393 HB User
    Re: arm numbness ?s

Hi,
    Sorry to hear of your returning symptoms. I had ACDF surgery for 2 discs and had donor bone and metal plate fusion on May 5th (11 days ago)...I have had my right side numbness (even leg and face) return intermittently almost every day...I've even had left sided deep muscle spasms in my left arm( something I'd only experienced on the right side before surgery)
    I just spoke w/the PA this AM and she said that it's not unusual, since "so much was disturbed" during the surgery that I'd experience some recurring and even new symptoms.
    However; it's only been a few days since my surgery...your's has been quite awhile ago...I would think your doc would want to do an MRI to see if another disk is involved..
    How long have you had the numbness?
    Curious to know what your recovery period was like...mine seems to be taking longer than I want!
    Thanks
    Jennifer

Old 05-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
    ember919
    (female)

ember919 HB User
    Re: arm numbness ?s

jennifer - always makes me feel better when i read something familiar. i don't see many people talk about having the face/leg numbness along with the arm and i often wondered if i was just imagining things. i, too, have had the pain-on-the-left stuff since surgery (six weeks ago), though all my previous symptoms were on the right. (although mri's did show left impingement)

nibroc - if you browse a bit, you will see that most of the post-acdf people talk about months of healing. and from what i understand, the nerve tingling/numbness is the last to go.

Closed Thread