It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• My Foot won't work!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
    Goldenbear76
    (male)

Goldenbear76 HB User
    My Foot won't work!

Ok So I'm kinda wondering whats goin on with my back here. About 7-8 years ago I had a bulged disc in my back. I had surgery in the L4/L5 region. It was explained to me the doctors would pop the disc or the something and stick it back into place. Anyway, recently, while i was coaching (High School Football Coach), I injured my back again. It simply felt like a muscle pull. But as time went by, my leg started getting numb, then my foot, and now my foot isn't working right. I can squeeze my toes, but I can't move my foot upward or my toes upward. I visited the doctor last week and he gave me Prednizone and Vicodin (for the pain). I'm on the 4th day of taking the Prednizone (which is suppose to ease swelling or something to relieve pressure on the nerve), but its not doing a thing. My foot movement hasn't changed. I'm suppose to take the pills for 9 days, but I was kind of hoping to see some signs of releif early on. Anyway, anyone know whats going on? What I might have to get done to fix it? Its higly annoying having a dead left foot. Thanks for your time.

Marc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
    acdfouch
    (male)

acdfouch HB User
    Re: My Foot won't work!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenbear76
    Ok So I'm kinda wondering whats goin on with my back here. About 7-8 years ago I had a bulged disc in my back. I had surgery in the L4/L5 region. It was explained to me the doctors would pop the disc or the something and stick it back into place. Anyway, recently, while i was coaching (High School Football Coach), I injured my back again. It simply felt like a muscle pull. But as time went by, my leg started getting numb, then my foot, and now my foot isn't working right. I can squeeze my toes, but I can't move my foot upward or my toes upward. I visited the doctor last week and he gave me Prednizone and Vicodin (for the pain). I'm on the 4th day of taking the Prednizone (which is suppose to ease swelling or something to relieve pressure on the nerve), but its not doing a thing. My foot movement hasn't changed. I'm suppose to take the pills for 9 days, but I was kind of hoping to see some signs of releif early on. Anyway, anyone know whats going on? What I might have to get done to fix it? Its higly annoying having a dead left foot. Thanks for your time.

Marc.
    I would imagine an MRI would be a worthy start if you have not had one yet to see if that disc has reherniated / bulged and is putting pressure on the nerve again.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I agree, an MRI is in order. The problem is known as "dropped foot" and is often a sign of impingement or with the disks themselves and certainly needs looked at right away.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
    Goldenbear76
    (male)

Goldenbear76 HB User

Thanks for the info. I will go visit a doctor this week and probably have an MRI. After you mentioned the "dropped foot" thing. I went online to check it out. The symptoms are almost word for word of what happens with my foot. If indeed it is a dropped foot is there any hope? Is this something I need to get used to or does it have a high recovery rate? Thanks for your time guys. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:02 AM   #5
    mb100
    (male)

mb100 HB User

Hey Marc,

I've had drop foot too. They will usually try the conservative methods first like steroids or therapy. I broke my back in 79 and came out of surgery with a bad case of drop foot that got better over time. I would ask about an MRI. You might want to go on the back problems board to get mo' better answers. They fitted me with a plastic brace that strapped on my calf and went down the back of my leg and under my foot that worked well, but like I said, it cleared up in a short period of time so in some cases it can be reversed. It's good you caught it early.

Best of luck and take it slow....Mike

Closed Thread