It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• c-4 c-5 cervical stenosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
    adl57
    (male)

adl57 HB User
    Question c-4 c-5 cervical stenosis

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with moderate stenosis at c-4,c-5. My symptoms are pain and discomfort on the bottom of my feet-I feel like I am walking on stones or balled up socks all the time-even when I am laying down. My smptoms have started to include numbness in my legs and fingertips-although this is sporadic and more of a nuisance. Although one ns suggested surgery,a 2nd opinion suggested I live with my symptoms as long a I can. I should note that a coworker had a posterior foraminatomy 2 years ago. Something went wrong and he became paralyzed and eventually passed away.My reasearch has discovered a doctor in Piitsburg, Dr. Jho ,who pioneered a minimally invasive procedure requiring no bone fusion and no discectomy. Has anyone had experience with him? Also does anyone have symptoms similar to mine? My doctors think my symptoms are odd.

Last edited by adl57; 06-06-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: c-4 c-5 cervical stenosis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adl57
    I was diagnosed 3 years ago with moderate stenosis at c-4,c-5. My symptoms are pain and discomfort on the bottom of my feet-I feel like I am walking on stones or balled up socks all the time-even when I am laying down. My smptoms have started to include numbness in my legs and fingertips-although this is sporadic and more of a nuisance. Although one ns suggested surgery,a 2nd opinion suggested I live with my symptoms as long a I can. I should note that a coworker had a posterior foraminatomy 2 years ago. Something went wrong and he became paralyzed and eventually passed away.My reasearch has discovered a doctor in Piitsburg, Dr. Jho ,who pioneered a minimally invasive procedure requiring no bone fusion and no discectomy. Has anyone had experience with him? Also does anyone have symptoms similar to mine? My doctors think my symptoms are odd.
    Do a search on Dr. Jho. There are posts here. He is tough to get set up with. Your insurance may not allow it either.

Your symptoms are a bit odd...the feet are not common with cervical spine. Finger and hand numbness and tingling is common. Legs and feet are usually lower back L5-S1.
    Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 06-07-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I agree, problems with the feet are generally an indication of a problem with your lumbar and not your neck. If you look Dermatone map you will see the cervical spine affects the arms only. L4 and L5 and S1 specifically affect the bottom of the feet. Chances are you have two problems going on, your cervical spine which would cause the finger numbness or tingeling and your lumbar spine which would cause the foot pain and leg numbness.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
    ThoreauFan
    (male)

ThoreauFan HB User

Quote:
    I was diagnosed 3 years ago with moderate stenosis at c-4,c-5. My symptoms are pain and discomfort on the bottom of my feet-I feel like I am walking on stones or balled up socks all the time-even when I am laying down. My smptoms have started to include numbness in my legs and fingertips-although this is sporadic and more of a nuisance. Although one ns suggested surgery,a 2nd opinion suggested I live with my symptoms as long a I can.
    I don't have a clear understanding of your present situation.

Does the past tense used above refer to the medical opinions of three years ago or are they more recent?

Last edited by ThoreauFan; 06-07-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
    adl57
    (male)

adl57 HB User

thank you for the information-I ran a search on Dr. Jho and got some opinions-not really sure if I will see him as I am in NJ.My doctor's opinions are 3 years old-I decided to try to live with this. It is not necessarily getting worse, but the relentless pain and discomfort are wearing me down. All my MRI's of my back were negative. The only abnormality they could find was stenosis in my neck. If anyone has suggestions for me or maybe a referral to a competent doctor in the North Jersey/New York area, it would be helpful. It is nice to know there are people willing to help.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
    ThoreauFan
    (male)

ThoreauFan HB User

Quote:
    thank you for the information-I ran a search on Dr. Jho and got some opinions-not really sure if I will see him as I am in NJ.My doctor's opinions are 3 years old-I decided to try to live with this. It is not necessarily getting worse, but the relentless pain and discomfort are wearing me down. All my MRI's of my back were negative. The only abnormality they could find was stenosis in my neck. If anyone has suggestions for me or maybe a referral to a competent doctor in the North Jersey/New York area, it would be helpful. It is nice to know there are people willing to help.
    I can't recommend a specific Dr., but I would certainly suggest expressing your current concerns to a Dr.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
    bobnorth
    (male)

bobnorth HB User

I have mild to moderate cervical stenosis in the same region and have significant leg and feet issues. Had the prednisone and anti-inflammatories not reduced the spinal cord inflammation (after car accident), I'd have needed surgey. Thank God it stabilized after the oral steroids, and I have continual leg weakness at about 25% of the original severity. Also my left arm, hand, and leg are weaker than the right. Lower leg stifness is significant, and I stretch them often. However, I have no real pain, and the onset of more stiffness in my neck has been to my benefit in that my neck is straight. Out of the weakness is additional fatigue, and in summer it is more involved. I eat Motrin daily to keep inflammation down. As long as my stenosis does not get worse, I will not have surgery. All this from a whiplash injury and a p.o.s. lawyer. There can be lower torso involvement with this condition.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
    humantunigfork
    (male)

humantunigfork HB User

Don't know much about the Doc in ? expect I've read mixed reviews with his patients and at the least he seems controversial...However...I can empathize with numbness in the foot area...I am having surgery in about 16 hours--ACDF w/hardware in the C5-C6 area with moderate to severe stenosis...although my main symptoms are acute numbness in the 3 fingers on my left hand...I also experience intermittent numbness in the same 3 fingers of my right hand and the ball and toes of my left foot...from what I understand the cord compression at any level can manifest itself in variable symptoms throughout the body, though they are more likely to occur in certain areas...I haven't had an MRI of my lower back...but I am hoping after tomorrow it will be a moot point...God willing!...Good luck to you with your symptoms...the main thing is to find someone who specializes in spine surgery whether they are an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon...human tuning fork

Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi all,
    I too have spinal stensois in my ceverical spine.I have spinal cord indentation on many areas.I have also had real bad pain in my left foot ,mostly under the bone in the area by my big toe.I didn't know that this could come from the spinal stensois . Someone stated that there is a map where you can tell what areas are affected by each level of stensois where can i find this map . Thanks kelsey

Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
    ember919
    (female)

ember919 HB User

htf - good luck tomorrow. don't forget to check back when you are up and around again.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:53 AM   #11
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

I have (had) C4-C7 stenosis and I was told that my gait (walking) problem was related to the C6-C7 area. Have also had some foot numbness/tremors which pretty much went away after surgery. To be safe, they did a MRI of the lower two spine regions before surgery and they were negative. I'm getting a new Cspine MRI on Monday - I'm very interested to compare before/after (I'm a scientist by training).

Closed Thread