It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Please translate - Dr is on vacation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
    reynfem
    (female)

reynfem HB User
    Please translate - Dr is on vacation

My regular Dr.s office sent me for these tests. I had seen my Dr.s partner. The partner got the results but wants my regular physician to see them. He (ny reg. Dr) is going out of the country for 3 wks. Should I insist on seeing the NS I have seen before for lower back (they didn't find anything significant enough to treat at that time and didn't check the neck)
    My arm is asleep about have of the day right now - on and off.
    Please let me know if you know what this means or even some of it:
    MRI RESULTS
    C2-3, unremarkable

C3-4, moderate narrowing of the left neural foramina

C4-5 there is evidence of prominent left-sided endplate spurring resulting in moderate to severe narrowing of the left neural faramen. The right neural foramen is moderately narrowed secondary to underlying disc osteophyte complex. The AP diameter of the central canal is at its lower limits.

C5-6, there is evidence of degenerative disc desiccation with mild loss of disc height. There is evidence of prominent right-side uncinate hypertrophy, which results in moderate to severe right neural foraminal narrowing. The left neural foramen is moderately narrowed secondary to underlying endplate spurring also. The AP diameter of the central canal is at it the lower limits of normal.

C6-7, minimal circumferential disc buldge is noted. The bilateral eural foramina are mildly narrowed with the left somewhat worse than the right due to underlying endplate spurring changes.

C7-T1, unremarkable

Last edited by reynfem; 06-07-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: Please translate - Dr is on vacation

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reynfem
    My regular Dr.s office sent me for these tests. I had seen my Dr.s partner. The partner got the results but wants my regular physician to see them. He (ny reg. Dr) is going out of the country for 3 wks. Should I insist on seeing the NS I have seen before for lower back (they didn't find anything significant enough to treat at that time and didn't check the neck)
    My arm is asleep about have of the day right now - on and off.
    Please let me know if you know what this means or even some of it:
    MRI RESULTS
    C2-3, unremarkable

C3-4, moderate narrowing of the left neural foramina

C4-5 there is evidence of prominent left-sided endplate spurring resulting in moderate to severe narrowing of the left neural faramen. The right neural foramen is moderately narrowed secondary to underlying disc osteophyte complex. The AP diameter of the central canal is at its lower limits.

C5-6, there is evidence of degenerative disc desiccation with mild loss of disc height. There is evidence of prominent right-side uncinate hypertrophy, which results in moderate to severe right neural foraminal narrowing. The left neural foramen is moderately narrowed secondary to underlying endplate spurring also. The AP diameter of the central canal is at it the lower limits of normal.

C6-7, minimal circumferential disc buldge is noted. The bilateral eural foramina are mildly narrowed with the left somewhat worse than the right due to underlying endplate spurring changes.

C7-T1, unremarkable
    The neural faramen and foramina are the holes or passages in the spine that the nerves go through to get to the body from the spinal cord. You have narrowing and spurring (bone growths) that are reducing the passage size at C4-5, C5-6 and C6-7. The worst looks to be at C4-5 and C5-6. This most likely will cause pain, tingling and numbness for you in the shoulders, arms and fingers, maybe other areas.

This is pretty much the place to be if you want to learn about this. I had basically the same at C5-6 and C6-7. It was corrected with ACDF surgery.

I would wait for your DR to get back. This is not a life threatening thing. You can go for some time with this, although the pain is not fun. Try massage and alternate hot and cold (10-15 minutes each) on your neck on the side that causes you the most pain. It's a bit hard to understand how your neck can cause arm pain, but that's the place to massage and treat. Also the shoulders, if they feel tight (spasms).

That won't solve the problem, but might give you some relief from the pain.

BTW, if you feel around on your neck when you massage, you may get a charge (shock) down your arm...that's the spot to put the heat/cold.

Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 06-07-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
    reynfem
    (female)

reynfem HB User

Thank you Dennis. You have been very helpful. Do you feel a lot better since your surgery?

Old 06-08-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reynfem
    Thank you Dennis. You have been very helpful. Do you feel a lot better since your surgery?
    I am one of the few success stories still posting. Most people recover and go on with there lives, and have no need to post anymore. I found this site so helpful prior to, during recovery and even after, that I felt I owed it to others to do the same.

I am two years out from surgery, am pain free and feel 20 years younger. I'm 54 years old, and am in the best shape I've been in since my 20's. It was the hardest and best thing I've done.

Your MRI is very similar to what mine was, except my C4-5 was not too bad. I had terrible shoulder and arm pain, numbness in my arm and fingers on the left side. I was diagnosed with DDD in 1985, and went through every treatment immaginable, until the pain was so bad that I couldn't do much anymore.

Depending on how bad your pain is, there are things you can try before you opt for surgery. Listen to your docs, as they know better than us guys and gals.

Dennis

Old 06-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
    reynfem
    (female)

reynfem HB User

Dennis I am glad you stayed around you have been most informative!

Old 06-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
    rools2
    (female)

rools2 HB User
    new here with lots of questions

I am new to MRI's, cortosone shots. I hurt my back at work and the only insurance I have is workmans comp. Was told to see a chiropractor who has listened to my back and many times refused to touch it. So he recommended an MRI, which I did very painfully I might add. It showed that my 4 and 5 lumbar discs were herniated and have small tears. My chiro Doc is recommending the shots to see if they will work.
    I have heard that cortosone shots have steriods, are bad for the liver, and break down cartledge(sp), let alone drastic mood changes, and are very painful to get in the first place.
    He also told me that if they did not work another MRI will be ordered and possible surgery.
    Is all the above true?
    What are my other options with-in the workmans comp regulations?, as I have to call them for approval to see another doc.

Closed Thread