It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Another question Re: C1/2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
    Another question Re: C1/2

I was told by my second PT that my C1/2 rotated and didn't rotate back leaving me with the wonderful cervical headache. That was the end of 2004. I have had on and off headaches and neck ache right below the base of the skull as well as jaw pain (no TMJ). The PT I see now post ACDF C4/5 told me the same thing. So what does one do about this? Why does it happen? Is there anything I can do to to strenghten the area?

Also she told me my first rib was out of place and she put it back into place.

I am so confused at how just a few short years ago I didn't have any of the above issues. Not to mention the others stated in other threads. How in the heck does all this happen? It seems that once you have one neck surgery you are going to have another and another and another problem. And once the C-spine is all fused it works its way to the Thoratic area. Humph

I'm only 42 and do worry about what happens when I am 60...........Anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
    shorty82
    (female)

shorty82 HB User
    Re: Another question Re: C1/2

I don't have any information to help you but I am only 24 and going through the same issues. Year ago, no problems, now I seem to slowly be breaking down. Mine isn't rotation but apparently compression of the atlas. I've also been told the same thing about the rib and he supposedly put it back in place but said it is a pretty chronic problem. I've also been dealing with numbness and weakness of the arms when I wake up. I have good night where I can sleep, and nights like last night where I swear I don't sleep a minute. Good luck to you, hope we both get things taken care of.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

I'm 48, my problems started "out of the blue" when I was 46. Best I can figure out its from years of sitting at a desk, looking at a screen or its just what "life's thrown my way."

Old 06-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Thanks Sunshine. My job was sitting in an out of a car and a lot of out. I think after 16 years of being a city cop has caused me most of the issues. I also rode horses for 40 years and ran 20 years and worked out 20 years. But it amazes me how I was not hurting at all until I was injured at work. I even had xrays done on my neck years ago due to a horse injury and there was no mention of compression of the disks or anything. I guess sometimes it just takes the right movement to cause the blocks to fall and they keep falling.

Shorty, I have nothing wrong with the atlas according to the MRI's, CT scans and mylegrams I have had so I wonder why it keeps doing it. I would remember these headaches if I had them before. I stated having them about a month after my last injury. Strange did you get any idea about why it is compressed or what to do about it? Since there is no disk at C1/2 there doesn't seem like there is anything to fix. I figure that since my head is heavy and my neck is weak that is why I am having the problems. My PT told me that the first rib is a common problem it can be caused by the way one sleeps or moves. Again nothing I remember from before.

K

Old 06-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
    shorty82
    (female)

shorty82 HB User

Hi. Well I'm not sure what exactly the cause is. I have TMJ due to a very open bite and I also had a pretty severe fall on my face about 10 years ago which I did not do proper recovery from so I'm sure it left the ligaments weakened. Apparently this has been building for some time but it's just gotten to the point where I'm experiencing pain and symptoms from it. My TMJ doctor believes I can greatly help the problem just by doing major stretching. I finally convinced my regular doctor to take new x-rays (my TMJ ones were 2 years old, and I couldn't seem to convince my doctor that there was a problem). He took one look at them and was like oh we have a problem, I actually enjoyed seeing his ego be brought down a bit. So i'm finally going to get the MRI that I've been wanting for the last month. One thing I've learned from being shuffled around from doctor to doctor the last month and everyone of them giving me a different opinion and most just telling me it's stress is that no one truly knows what they're talking about and you have to be the one to make the decisions. I would love for someone to be like this is what is wrong and this is exactly what you need to do to make it better, but that's not going to happen. Good luck to you

Closed Thread