It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• EMG normal. Now what?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
    TheMamaLisa
    (female)

TheMamaLisa HB User
    EMG normal. Now what?

Ok so I am having neck pain and arm pain numbness and muscle spasms. I have had an MRI of my neck and I have spinal stenosis and herniated disks on 2 levels. I also experience daily headaches from my neck. I have been doing PT but hasnt made a difference. So what does this mean? Were they tring to determine if the pain is from nerve damage in my arm or stemming from my neck? I am confused and cant follow up with my spine Dr until next week. I thought for sure with my symptoms somthing would show up. Feels like I am on an uphill battle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: EMG normal. Now what?

just so you know,an emg will only pick up on actual damage or constant compression to any given nerve.it wont show all of what you actually have wrong in your case or any intermittant type of compression unless that particular nerve just happens to be compressed at the time of the test.

i really don't know why this test seems to be always done on on people by some docs almost routinely.while it does show definite compression and or damage,it really cannot show much more than that and tends to make alot of docs take your problems and symptoms much less seriously when they look at it and see that there isn't any "real" compression or damage going on at that time.this has no bearing on just how bad someones stenosis is or how that herniated disc currently is and the intermittant symptoms and some of the worst pain known to man.

has you doc discussed any sort of possble surgical intarventions with you at all yet?some of what you have going on in there can be fixed with surgery.and that stenosis should really be taken care of before it starts actually causing any actual real damage to the nerves.

do you actually have confirmed nerve damage in your arm or is this what the test was trying to determine?the thing is,from what you have described here it really does sound like the arm,neck and muscle spasms are all actually stemming from your neck issues.this is exactly how my c spine problems showed themselves.the pain is being caused by the actualc spine issues and the muscles are reacting to the inflammed nerves.kind of a domino affect.i think if you can get at least some of the c spine problems corrected surgeically,most if not all of the arm and neck issues would at least lessen if not go away all together.just my opinon.

just what type of doc is your 'spine' doc?is this an actual spinal doc with that type of title or is it a neurosurgeon or ortho doc?marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 06-19-2006 at 07:45 AM. Reason: something bizarre is going on with the words i cannot fix

Old 06-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
    TheMamaLisa
    (female)

TheMamaLisa HB User
    Re: EMG normal. Now what?

Thanks so much for your response! I have an appt to see my Dr next week for f/u on the emg and I have been worried ever since. I have been having alot of neck and arm pain and now I am having a burning sensation on my arms but no rash or irritatation to speak of so i assume it has to do with my neck as well. I am worried that he will see my normal emg and say the pain is all in my head! Which I am not real sure why the emg was ordered in the first place since it is obvious I am suffering from spinal stenosis, DDD, and OA from my MRI. He did mention at my appt 4 weeks ago that I may need surgery but he wanted to wait until he saw the results from my emg? Maybe its because I am only 26 and just had an L5-S1 laminectomy/diskectomy a little over a year ago? Not real sure why we are taking a watch and see attitude but I guess hes the Dr and thats why he is paid the big bucks. I have even been doing PT which of course isnt helping. My Dr is board certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation specializing in interventional spine procedures. Last year when I had my back surgery I was reffered to this same Dr and a neurosurgeon. This time was just to the spine Dr. My pcp also told me when this all started that she didnt see anything on the MRI that would explain my pain. Lol! It was only obvious even to me with an untrained eye! I really wonder about some of these Dr's.

Closed Thread