It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 3 weeks post ACDF: symptoms persist + new lower back tightness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
    humantunigfork
    (male)

humantunigfork HB User
    3 weeks post ACDF: symptoms persist + new lower back tightness

Having proclaimed the need to be a patient patient I am now tested 3 weeks out of surgery by new back stiffness/tightness in addition to my old sypmtoms pre-surgery which pretty much remain constant (numb left hand, numb finger tips in right hand, numb bottom of left foot, numbness in left chest cavity)...Its just one of those days wherein I want the mythical t-shirt someone on the board(?) conjured up...something to the effect of: "Had ACDF surgery and all I got was this stinkin' 3 inch scare"...I know...I know...be patient...but now I worry I have developed some back problem that will require yet another surgery...worry my fusion is going to fail...worry I will always be the HUMANTUNINGFORK...Ohhh it makes you just want to drink hard liqour straight from the bottle!!!...I continue to experience "pulsing" in my left arm and hand...occassional heat sensation & "magnetic pull" between my left pinky and ring finger...I would like to think these are positive signs...but I can never be sure...I am never sure how much is 5-20 pounds...I am driving...not required to wear a collar...paranoid...and wearing my wife out with this stuff....should I get an MRI for my back?...should I just quit whining and count myself lucky that I can get around as good as I can? I just feel like I can't do anything and I am sooooo bored...sorry for the polemic...the mad rambling...HTF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User
    Re: 3 weeks post ACDF: symptoms persist + new lower back tightness

HANG IN THERE!!!

Having been through two procedures, back and then front, I found that at three weeks I hit a low both times, it's very common. Emotions yoyo after major surgery and at this point you expect to feel better and don't understand that the healing process can take many months. Also every sore muscle, ache or pain is a source of worry in case things aren't going smoothly.

Just be aware that most of us have been through this blip - when recouping it is easy to become very introverted. I found my 'escape' was to get into a regular exercise routine, namely walking which my surgeon encouraged me to do as soon as possible. I gradually built up to several miles a day and the activity helped take my mind of things and feel better. Also, my husband insisted on getting me out of the house, to the movies (usually a comedy) or to dinner, this also helped get through the early recuperation low.

Just remember, you're still very early in the healing process and your progress will only be measured in retrospect rather than dramatic day to day improvements.

Take care,
    W

Old 07-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I found that having to sleep in a slightly angled position after the ACDF due to the collar I was wearing, I had a lot of lower back pain. (ACDF C5-C7 5/18/06). As soon as I was able to sleep laying down fully that pain slowly went away. This is good considering I had an L4-S1 fusioin 13 years ago.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
    texascritter
    (male)

texascritter HB User

I feel for you. I hav'nt reached the surgery yet. It worries me that so many people don't get the results they wanted. Whine all you need to. Where here for you and someday It will be out turn. I hope it gets better for you and suddenly everything comes out roses. TEXASCRITTER

Old 07-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
    JeanneO
    (female)

JeanneO HB User

Something I always try to remember after any surgery is the fact that I begin to sort of over-compensate with other areas of my body.

I remember when I had my 1st foot surgery and was wearing the soft shoe cast...I wasn't wearing even shoes...so I was walking at an angle and my low back began to get really sore. It wasn't until I began to wear a little bit higher of a shoe on the other foot that my back felt better.

And when I had both my ACDF and then my shoulder surgery (I call myself the humanpincushion lol) I realized that I was hiking my shoulders up...kind of in a permanent shrug. I still have to remind myself all the time to relax my shoulders!!

Hang in there and try to really feel what you're doing posturally. Hope you're feeling better!!!

JeanneO

Closed Thread