It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• epidural vs. nerve block?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
    dnorton356
    (male)

dnorton356 HB User
    epidural vs. nerve block?

I have had sets of epidural shots twice for lower back pain and burning all down my left side due to worsening DDD over a 3 1/2 year period. I am in the midst of another bad period and have started another set of epidural shots because last time they did seem to offer some minor releaf. The first shot this time out only made my symptoms worse after a week. My neurologist has decided that in lieu of the epidural with flouroscope we will now try a "nerve block" instead for the second shot. Can anyone tell me what the difference is here, and do they have any positive feedback on this?
    Thanks.
    Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: epidural vs. nerve block?

Hi Dave,
    Selective Nerve Root block is what i had. I have also had Epidurals (which didn't help). The Nerve block did help me, although it didn't take the pain away for long, it did significantly reduce it for a long time.

The procedures are very similar - they also did my nerve block with a fluroscope. The difference is instead of inserting that cathetar tube in the space, they directly inject with a needle. It did not hurt until they got to the point where they injected the die and the medicine, but that was only for a minute and it was over. Everything else goes the same, the prep, the after, etc. Of the two I really like the nerve root block better.

Closed Thread