It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Tethered Cord

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
kylesal
(male)

kylesal HB User
Tethered Cord

Last week I got an MRI done and the neurosurgeon said that I do in fact have a tethered cord and surgery is a must if there is any chance at all to relieve some of the symptoms. He told me that he has only seen 1 other tethered cord in his whole medical career(31 years), and he referred me to go see a good friend of his at the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia. I am currently enlisted in the amry national guard and I am looking forward to doing that but I dont know now with the tethered cord, I know if I cant go to the army I will be very depressed and ruined. My question is, how guaranteed is this surgery, like will the surgery be able to help cure the side effects and symptoms or are they permanent. I am currently experiencing incontience, frequent urinary tract infections and an enlarged bladder. No pain or discomfort as of yet. Hell I would trade the pain for all the symptoms I am experiencing. If anyone has any advice of what to expect please let me know becuase I am rather nervous about the whole outcome out this surgery. I' not nervous about getting the surgery, just what to expect afterwards...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
a1crews
(male)

a1crews HB User
Lightbulb Re: Tethered Cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesal
Last week I got an MRI done and the neurosurgeon said that I do in fact have a tethered cord and surgery is a must if there is any chance at all to relieve some of the symptoms. He told me that he has only seen 1 other tethered cord in his whole medical career(31 years), and he referred me to go see a good friend of his at the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia. I am currently enlisted in the amry national guard and I am looking forward to doing that but I dont know now with the tethered cord, I know if I cant go to the army I will be very depressed and ruined. My question is, how guaranteed is this surgery, like will the surgery be able to help cure the side effects and symptoms or are they permanent. I am currently experiencing incontience, frequent urinary tract infections and an enlarged bladder. No pain or discomfort as of yet. Hell I would trade the pain for all the symptoms I am experiencing. If anyone has any advice of what to expect please let me know becuase I am rather nervous about the whole outcome out this surgery. I' not nervous about getting the surgery, just what to expect afterwards...

The surgery is really only a temorary fix. I am 15 years old and I have had three unteatherings. after the surgery it is not that bad i will warn you tho for the first day it is extrmley painfull depending on were the surgry is done. if the surgery is done on your lumbar spine it is not as painfull and you will be up walking within two day. If it is done at the thorasic spine it will be extrmley painfull and you will most likley be up and walking in 2-4 days.
i hope i was able to help.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
kylesal
(male)

kylesal HB User
Re: Tethered Cord

Hey thanks for the reply bud, I dont have any pain associated with my tehtered cord yet, but I do have incontience, frequent urinary tract infections, and an enlarged bladder. Do you think the surgery I will be receiving will be able to fix the problems or do you think it will only make it better for a little while than have it reoccur again?

Old 08-14-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
liliane soenens
(female)

liliane soenens HB User
Thumbs up Re: Tethered Cord

Hi there ,

Just to let you know that you're not alone!!I'm 49 yrs and only now did they (read doctors) tell me about my problem.
Been seeing chiropractors etc. for 20 years and because my backpain increased and wouldn't go away, have they noticed my REAL problem after MRI).
Unfortunately I cant tell you about results after an operation,'cause I'm trying to hold out without one.I'm also very worried about the outcome of such an op.
I do believe that it's difficult to compare operations from different people 'cause every"case" is different.So Kyl please try not to worry and believe that ,after talking enough withthe doc,thingswill work out and get better!
I think that the more you read about our special situation the more worried you get........if you trust your doc ,go for it,and believe!!!

Closed Thread