It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

neck fusion

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
edskym
(male)

edskym HB User
Unhappy neck fusion

in 2002 I had a c6-c7 neck fusion due to pain down my right arm for many months. The operation was not successful as I still had pain. I went on steriods, pain went away but I had a bad reaction and had to go off the pain came back. Before the operation I was getting 1-2 headaches a week,after everyday. I lived with the pain until 2005 when I had a foramenotony on c3.
Still have the pain down my right arm and the headaches. Now I am told that I need a fussion c3-c4. I am just alittle skepttical as I have had 2 operations with no success. Maybe the third one the charm any thoughts would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
PNo
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: neck fusion

I am a two-timer that isn't well all the way either - so I undersand.

Have they run the other tests on you besides xray and MRI? Did you have an EMG or one of the other tests? It could be the doc went with the foraminectomy for a conservative approach and the osteophytes kept growing and now a year later there are some there pressing on nerve? Is there a little more info they gave you? Why exactly do they want to do the fusion now what is it fixing. Don't let them just say pain, make them explain it. Is there slippage, or bone spurs or what?

Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
edskym
(male)

edskym HB User

Thanks for the reply
Yes my surgeon was being conservative with the foraminotomy but felt it had a 90% chance of working. He also told me that if it did not work I would need a fusion. I have had a EMG after surgery which came out normal except for borderline ulnar motor conduction slowing across my elbow. I also had a MRI before and after the surgery. My neck is pretty much a mess with issue at c 3,4,5,6,. The surgeon who I do have confidence in feels the problem is at c3-4. There is a broadased disc bulge and osteophytic ridge here which together with osteophytic spurring in the right unconvertbral joint and vertebral body margin results inright sided foraminal narrowing. My skeptcism is there is no guaratee just a educated guess. If I knew it would be successful I be there tommorow as the operation and recovery are not bad. I know I said alot but maybe that will give a little more insight.

Thanks
Ed

Old 08-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
Ramsfan
(male)

Ramsfan HB User

I am a 3 timer. Each operation was somewhat successful in the sense that most of the symptoms were eliminated. However there are discomforts that I know I will have to live with the rest of my life, most of which are brought on by doing things I know I shouldn't do. My biggest problem is getting a comfortable nights sleep. I consistantly wake up with tingling in my arms or hands and a sore neck. I am a chronic stomach sleeper and can't get away from it no matter what I try. I haven't had an MRI or x-ray in a couple years. I'm afraid of what I may find. I am fused from C3 through C7 and don't want to go any further.

Frank

Old 08-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
edskym
(male)

edskym HB User

thanks for the reply

I was very active with bikeing ,weight lifting, sking,working out but that has all been put on hold as the pain is to great. I hope that I will be able to get back to those activities once I heal. Am I being to optimistic ,those activities are what keep me sane.They also help with the headaches-sure would be depressed if can't be active
Anybody able to get back to normal activities after having a second fusion, would like to hear from you.

Thanls
Ed

Closed Thread