It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Can somebody explain increased nerve pain post ACDF?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
    bdh7
    (female)

bdh7 HB User
    Can somebody explain increased nerve pain post ACDF?

Hi...I've done some browsing but am only five days post op and can't spend a lot of time on the computer. Had ACDF C5-7 w/ plates & donor bone on Monday Aug 7; woke up with the first three fingers on my right arm (the previously good one!) totally numb. Doc said he thought it was from pulling on my wrist during surgery. So...my right arm is very painful now (numbness in fingers is pretty much gone), with pain following a very obvious c6 path. My left arm was previously the worse one, and do still have some c6 problems on that side too. I know I'm very fresh post op, but had the same reassurances from NS that the post op pain wouldn't be as bad as pre op. Not so...just wondered if someone could explain positioning or amount of traction they typically have to put on nerves. I suspect inflammation/irritation of the nerve; my body has a tendency to get easily inflamed. Muscle relaxants and heat don't help, but ice does help temporarily and I get a short term relief from oxycontin IR. How long before this nerve irritation calms down? I am not overdoing it, am trying to keep shoulders relaxed. watching positioning, etc... Surgery was 4+ hours long, ns says he was able to relieve pressure on pinched nerve, although original injury was four years ago and he said beforehand he couldn't guarantee pain relief. Immediately post op the left thumb/index finger pain/numbness felt better, and left hand numbness seemed slightly better, but over the next few hours thumb pain came back. I'm not discouraged, still feeling hopeful that it's temporary and things will calm down. Just wondered what if any of you experienced this and how long it took. Any advice on how to manage the pain best? THanks Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
    bdh7
    (female)

bdh7 HB User
    Re: Can somebody explain increased nerve pain post ACDF?

Hey, well, I guess I'll answer my own post! I should've waited till later to write...today has been a much better day! The nerve pain in the right arm/shoulder definitely seems to be calming down, although I still feel it when the meds wear off. But I am feeling a lot more hopeful tonight than I did this morning! I still cannot swallow much...water is too "slippery", but diet coke in small sips seems okay, small bites of pudding (with a pill in it!), and tried a little potato soup broth tonight. BTW, I found that very small portions of ice chips have been easiest to swallow on the worst days, and we had the idea to put some raspberry coffee syrup in it for some flavor...made a wonderful icee! Haven't had a meal since Sunday night; but I did need to lose some weight, so maybe have a jump start here??? Not even hungry, yet, either! I get to take the bandage off tomorrow and have a REAL shower...Yeah!!! Thanks to all of you for your good advice pre-op...adjustable bed and multiple pillows are working out well; friends are bringing in food and family's keeping up with the house pretty well. I managed to sit in the living room all day today in a recliner!

I think if we go into this knowing not everyone feels immediately better, our expectations will be more realistic. Small steps for me today have meant a lot, and I know recovery will be a long process. I am not anxious to go too fast and mess anything up; I'm also looking forward to any improvement, at this point!

Take care, all, and thanks again for sharing your wisdom!
    Donna

Old 08-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Do you have a cervical collar? From what I've seen here those of us with cervical collars sometimes feel a bit better post-op as we aren't moving the neck as much.

Karin
    C5-C7 ACDF 5/18/06

Old 08-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

The first few weeks you will probably have all sorts of misc pains as the body settles/recovers. Good luck. I tried some exercises too soon and was miserable for days after.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
    ThoreauFan
    (male)

ThoreauFan HB User

bdh--

Remember, the surgery itself is a form of controlled trauma. I'm guessing your surgeon cleaned out a foraminal area (or two or three). Those are the canals where your nerve roots vent from your spine. I wasn't able to lay on my back for 4-6 weeks.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
    bdh7
    (female)

bdh7 HB User

Hi...yes I'm in a Miami J, with a Philadelphia for showering. Nerve pain's worse again today, just a lot across top of shoulder (esp right) and down arm (shoulder's worst). It'll be okay, though, I'm sure there was a lot of controlled trauma! Thanks for the encouraging words.
    Donna

Old 08-13-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
    more
    (female)

more HB User

I was in a Miami J and found I felt more pain in the morning after getting up. I know there was one morning I said to my mother that I had the worst toothache I had ever had in my life. I finally figured out it was from when I was sleeping I was resting my head to that side - pressing the brace against a nerve. After adjusting my pillows I did not have that problem again.

Also, I would have muscle spasms quite a bit in the morning and again I found it was from the way I slept. I propped a couple of pillows up on each side of my body when I went to bed which forced me to stay in one position and not lean to one side.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery and hopefully you will be back to normal in no time.

Closed Thread