It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Cervical Epidural Fear

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
debysu46
(female)

debysu46 HB User
Cervical Epidural Fear

I am scheduled to have a ESI on Monday. This whole thing really terrifies me.
I cannot keep my mind off it. I am scared of how painful it will be and that I may move during procedure. I will not be given any sedatives, they told me the dr does not use any and patients do very well. I cannot find any answers on this.
I have had acdf 4 yrs ago, now I have DDD, 2 herniated disc and spinal stenosis.
Can anyone tell me anything about this? I feel at this moment I would rather run out in front of a truck than go get this done.

Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
PNo
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Cervical Epidural Fear

Take a deep breath. It really isn't as bad as you imagine.

I had no sedatives and there was only about 10-15 seconds of bad within the entire procedure. Nurses were there and held my hand and the dr. explained everything step by step. There are lots of handouts on the internet about the procedure.

Rest after like they tell you.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
SpineAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I do find it interesting that the doctor uses no sedatives, but I can tell you my doctor used only very light sedatives and there is very little pain - and any pain there is was very brief. Think of it this way, if it was so painful that each patient screamed in agony - the doctor couldn't continue to do it in that way. So he must find success with his method.

The advantage of no sedative is that the rest of your day you won't be all loopy the way I was.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Dutchgirl
(female)

Dutchgirl HB User

I was also scared of the ESI, and my orthopedic doc. would not use anything either, so I wouldn't do it. My new doctor who works at a pain management clinic talked me into getting one, and also used a light sedative, and I was drowsy for a little while after, but it really helped me relax.

Either way.. just remember that it is an injection, and it will be over really fast.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
jitteryme
(female)

jitteryme HB User

Debbie,

I can relate to your fear. I had a cervical epidural injection 11 days ago. I was really scared that something bad would happen, but it didn't. I am one of the biggest worriers on the planet, and if there is something to worry about, I will worry. Even if there isn't anything to worry about, I will worry. My doctor did use a light sedation and from start to finish the entire process took 12 minutes. I felt no pain at all. I wasn't drowsy or loopy, just relaxed. The procedure was pretty simple for me. I don't know how I would do without the sedation though.

Unfortunately, I have had no result whatsoever from this injection. I did have some tenderness at the injection site for about a day and a half but other than that, it's back to the same old pain as usual. It looks like a second injection is in my future, and I am not looking forward to that. Let the worrying begin again.

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. Please let us know how you make out.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
debysu46
(female)

debysu46 HB User

Some encouraging words given to me, thanks. My biggest fear of the whole thing is how much pain I am going to be in during this injection?
I have a phobia of needles anyway. No matter how scared or nervous they will not be giving me anything because I am on w/c.
I think we would run a close race in who is the biggest worrier, I worry about every little thing too. My husband gets so upset with me.
The hours are counting down till I go in tomorrow and the closer it gets the more angrier I get and take it out on those around me, just because of my fear. My kids have tried to calm me, my husband but nothing works. I am already angry over the fact that after my surgery 4 yrs ago and bad experience that now here I am again. Your whole world gets turned upside down.
Everyone thanks, oh and I do ask that please please please if anyone did feel a great deal of pain do not tell me, I only want to hear the good responses as I will be terrified if I do hear bad. Just looking for good positive feed back during the procedure. I can handle any pain afterwards its just with that needle thing in me is the problem.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
wimpette
(female)

wimpette HB User

I am also a needle phobic and was as freaked out as you about the thought of a cervical epidural. DON'T WORRY - if I can go through it and survive, you will. I felt a bit of pressure, a few seconds of real discomfort but that was all. Try to put in perspective of the pain you've been experiencing, this was far less than that in my case. One suggestion, if you doc doesn't like sedation and you're still very nervous ask him/her if it's ok if you take some valium before the procedure. That works great on needle phobics like us.
I expect to hear back from you how easy it was...I found I wasted more time than I should have worrying.

Think positive, this should help your pain and many of us have had them and done well.

Good luck,
Wimpette

Old 08-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
debysu46
(female)

debysu46 HB User

I made it thru the epidural, still if I have to do it again I will still be in the same fear. The dr and staff were wonderful, talked me thru it. I felt the iniitial sting of the numbing. Not bad, then I did feel the pressure and that scared me as I kept waiting for something real painful to happen. My arms went all cold and tingling. My body would not stop shaking. Did not sleep at all last night, could not find a comfortable position. Today I am very sore and have a bad headache. Soreness at sight of injection and pain going between shoulder blades down my back. Very uncomfortable. They told me it may take 7 days to take effect if at all as they said my condition was bad.
Thank you all for your support.

Debbie

Closed Thread