It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Please help with MRI results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
    kitkatlvr
    (female)

kitkatlvr HB User
    Please help with MRI results

Can anyone help me decipher these MRI results?

Im having neck, arm and hand problems.

It says:

Cervical alignemnet is anatomic. There is fatty marrow replacement anteriorly at C2 and C3. The marrow signal is otherwise normal.

Diffuse disc desiccation changes are seen.

C5-6 demonstrates irregular diffuse posterior disc bulge, gratest in a left paracentral location. There is left ventral dural dispalcement and minimal leftsided cord flattening with mild central canal stenosis. There is moderate left foraminal stenosis and mild right foraminal stenosis.

C6-7 demonstrates a small central disc protrusion . There is ventral dural displacement but no significant central canal or foraminal stenosis. No cord deformity is seen.

Impression: C5-6 diffuse posterior disc bulge, greatest in a left paracentral location, with minimal leftsided cord flattening and left foraminal narrowing.

Small central disc protrusion at C6-7 resulting in ventral dural displacement byt no significant central canal or foraminal stenosis.

What does this all mean?

Also, is a MRI or a Mylogram better ?

Can any of this get worse over time? (My symptoms seem to have gotten worse)

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
    zeroman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

zeroman HB User
    Re: Please help with MRI results

Im not sure what "fatty marrow replacement" means.

"Diffuse disc desiccation changes" mean the discs are slightly dried out (dehydrated). this can happen due to aging.

"Cervical alignemnet is anatomic" that means the spines shape (normally a "S" shape when veiwed from the side) is OK.

C5-6 the disc is bulging on the rear left side and is lighly pressing on the spinal chord on the left. there is boney growth in the canal where the spinal chord lies plus some bone growth on both sides where the nerves exit the spine. the growth is a bit worse on the left side. what that means is there is less space than normal for the spinal chord and nerves. this is likely the main cause of any pain youre having.

C6-7 also has a bulging disc that is pressing on the sheath that the spinal chord lies in but its not pressing on the chord itself. there is no exess bone growth at this level.

things can get worse, due to both aging and spine abuse (heavy lifting etc). however things can get better too. many times bulges will heal on their own given time. however the boney growths (stenosis) dont at least as far as I know.

Im not sure if a MRI or a is Mylogram better.. both will show things the other doesnt. it depends more on what theyre looking for.

any other questions be sure to ask.. we arent doctors but we can share what we know from personal experience.

Last edited by zeroman; 08-23-2006 at 03:59 PM.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
    kitkatlvr
    (female)

kitkatlvr HB User

Thanks so much, Zeroman. Can your mri get worse over time. This MRI was taken in January, but my smptoms have gotten worse. Can they get worse in this amount of time?

Old 08-25-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Kitkatlvr:

My MRI in 2004 showed minor disc protrusions between C5-6 and C6-7. My MRI two years later showed bone spurring which was what led to my surgery. In theory I think MRI results can change in a very short period of time.

Think of it this way. Discs are a gel like substance. If they are herniated, it could get worse with the wrong lift, move, stress on the disc, etc. If your symptoms have gotten significantly worse than I'd hope your doctor would consider a follow up MRI.

Karin
    C5-C7 ACDF 5/2006

Closed Thread