It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Titanium Medronics plate question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
    DollyD6343
    (female)

DollyD6343 HB User
    Titanium Medronics plate question

Okay Folks...I went for my pre-op today and got a gander at the titanium plate they are using to fuse C3-4 and C5-6...It was huge and much thicker than I expected. I'm a little person. 5'2" and I weigh a mere 103 lbs soaking wet. I have a long, slender neck with not the thickest skin. I'm just wondering if any of you out there that have those plates can feel them after surgery. I can't imagine that you wouldn't. I mean...It's going to take up at least 2" on the front of my neck under my muscle fascia. I'm freaking out thinking that I will always know it's there. Can anybody share their experience with the plate? The nurse told me that I could probably be able to feel it by pushing on my own neck, that it would not be visible to others, but I'm wondering if the feeling of swallowing a large metal brick will ever go away?

EEEEEEEK!

DD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 AM   #2
    Coast Guard Dad
    (male)

Coast Guard Dad HB User
    Re: Titanium Medronics plate question

small, medium, large, The hardware is sometimes made in different sizes. The show room model you may have seen, might have been a large size, or even an outdated sample that has been in setting around the office for a dozen years, when they actualy use an up to date, improved slimer hardware. As I was being prepped for surgery, I was informed that I was getting the latest and greatest in the line of hardware for my fusion. So the model I saw in the office was outdated. The hardware was so new that the Doctor didnt have a sample for the office yet. I did not care about what color it was as long as it helped my pain go away. My hardware was made by Medtronics also.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
    DollyD6343
    (female)

DollyD6343 HB User

Thank you!
    I sure hope that the one used as show and tell at pre-op will also be a bit outdated. Or one that they use for a 200 lb 6' man. If not, I doubt that I will ever be able to turn my head again. I'm definitely not concerned with color, lol...though pink might suit me better, but definitely could use a bit thinner model as I haven't the thick skin to cover all that titanium. Thanks for clarifying or bringing to my attention that the models are not necessarily the exact one, shape or size that will be used. I think I'm actually going to try to find out prior to Tuesday surgery.

Bye,
    DD

Old 08-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
    technomom
    (female)

technomom HB User

I had a cervical fusion in 2002 and have NEVER felt the plate. Plates do come in various sizes and I am sure the doctor will use the one that is right for you. Did you ask him if it was a sample or the actual size of the one they will use?

Old 08-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
    DollyD6343
    (female)

DollyD6343 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by technomom
    I had a cervical fusion in 2002 and have NEVER felt the plate. Plates do come in various sizes and I am sure the doctor will use the one that is right for you. Did you ask him if it was a sample or the actual size of the one they will use?
    Thank You! Thank You, Technomom! One more thing I can relax about.

Diann

Old 08-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

The plate is behind your throat...not on it

There is no way you will see it or be able to feel it (with your hands).

You may feel it when you swallow...

You will see it on x-rays of your neck tho

Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
    NovRainDolly
    (female)

NovRainDolly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennisgb
    The plate is behind your throat...not on it

There is no way you will see it or be able to feel it (with your hands).

You may feel it when you swallow...

You will see it on x-rays of your neck tho
    You were right Dennis!
    I can't believe I was so silly. They used a small one on me, more tailored to my size. I can't see it, nor can I feel it! I have no problems swallowing and my lump is completely gone. Thanks for your assurance and for responding to my ridiculous fear!

Diann

Old 09-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Diann,

I kind of thought I was being a bit of a jerk when I posted that...but I put a lot of smiley faces on it

I couldn't believe that they didn't explain to you where the plate goes.

Now, all you have to worry about is the little scar. Once it heals good enough, I used lotion with vitamin E and "udder" cream. Also called Bag Balm. There are some special scar creams too, but they are kind of expensive. The Bag Balm works really good, and it isn't too spendy.

Can hardly see my scar now

Closed Thread