It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Chest Pains Right Arm Pains :cant Bend Forward

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
    mthu2189
    (female)

mthu2189 HB User
    Unhappy Chest Pains Right Arm Pains :cant Bend Forward

Hi there anyone & everyone,
    To cut a long story short, l had a ACDF in March 06 for a c5/c6 disc prolapse, apparently it actually sheared off in 2 sections!! so the neuro says, all the associated symptoms have resolved in the left arm thats the good news.

Now in my right arm, l have streaking pain, top muscle in my right arm, my chest pains are definately getting worse (not my heart had a ECG) and my neck is killing me all the time. The pain radiates down my neck, between my shoulder blades, under the shoulder blades sticks into the chest right in the middle, and streaks pain into my right arm. All this happens on my flextion or extention of my neck, and l mean even moving it forward like 2cms!! let alone putting shoes etc...why is it everything you do involves looking down or bending forwards in life

I also still get the lump in the throat from the fusion, and that has been some time ago now, the neuro says no no!! shouldn't have that anymore! well l gotta tell ya, everytime without fail, l bend forwards, pick something up, sit down or even read the paper ( not that easy with a sore neck) all of the above symptoms happen. I have had ct scans l had a myelogram ( note to self: don't ever do that again) and now becasue of the heart pains i have had had a thoracic ct scan and still nothing shows!!

My question is this, with the ACDF i had my neurosurgeon in Australia here, removed the disk, drilled a hole into the c5/c6 vertabrae screwed in some metal bolt with holes in it, that were filled with the shavings of the vertabrae, but did not put the plate and screws in to stabilize the 2, so could all of this be due to that? That it is not stable? Because l don't believe that l could feel so much pain and discomfort for no apparent reason!!

Does anyone out there have any info that you can share with me? I really am at my witts end, this pain is stemming form february this year and its not welcome!!
    Thank you all in advance
    Monica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User
    Re: Chest Pains Right Arm Pains :cant Bend Forward

Hi,
    I'm so sorry your in such pain, It does not make much sense when the tests show everyting is ok but your in such pain. I have lumbar fusion from L4-S1 so I'm not experienced in the cervical area, but I do know I had my first fusion fail and it was unstable with the rods, screws & cages in place. Because the fusion never grew solid bone there was enough play in the hardware to cause 2 of the screws to be so loose they could be wiggled. Every time I moved they moved while still in the bone, OUCH!!! . nothing showed up on any test, he had to go in to to see it.

Have you been told that the surgery has failed?, your not really that far post op to be pain free, at least not from what I have learned so far. But your doc should have evidence of a fusion starting by now. Oh by the way, I totally agree with you on that mylogram, I had mine 3 days after my first fusion was done told my doc he could another one after I stop breathing and not before, lol.

I do hope you find answers soon, sorry I couldn't help much but I hope I helped a lil.

God Bless & Good Luck

Carol

Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
    mthu2189
    (female)

mthu2189 HB User

hi carol
    thanks so much for spending time to answer my whyning! Well the last time l saw my neuro he said that l should be out WATER SKIING by now!!! he had a look at the xrays re: the fusion and said there was bone growth there, but was really non commital other than that, saying maybe there is instability?. He did say tht maybe he needed to go back in and have a look to see, but l don't know whether giving him a 2nd go is the right thing to do???.. Hmmm something to ponder on l suppose :} whilst l can't do anything !lol Hey, Carol did you have sucess after they went in again with you? did the fusion take the second time?what pains did you have to notify them that the fusion wans't sucessfull? how long ago would that have been for you? How are you feeling now?
    monica

Last edited by mthu2189; 08-28-2006 at 02:43 AM.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Monica:

If the symptoms continue perhaps you can get a referral to a doctor who can more completely evaluate your esophagus (maybe even with a scope down the throat) to see if there's any damage, scar tissue, or even acid reflux damage (which is common and may be coincidental). Just a few thoughts.

Karin
    C5-C7 ACDF 5/18/06

Old 08-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hello - if doc isn't clear with you I always say get a 2nd opinion. get a copy of your current xrays - they can see the fusion from that and if there is a problem. Even with careful planning and execution you can still have problems. I personally don't think it has anything to do with plate or no plate unless you have a failed fusion - that should be visible from an xray. Get a flexion xray that shows movement.

I have had 2 acdfs with plates and my fusions are fine, and i still have all the symptoms you describe (arm, radiating pain, top muscle in my right arm, blades and chest pains) -thank my stars no long term swallowing or lump in throat stuff.

Oh and thanks, I may need a myleogram and now you guys have scared the *(&@ out of me. Have you had an EMG and is it worse than that?

Old 08-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
    mthu2189
    (female)

mthu2189 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Chest Pains Right Arm Pains :cant Bend Forward

Hi neckpatient,
    I am so sorry to scare ya about the myelogram, its not the end of the world though, just really uncomfortable,you have to stay still alot.. you'll be fine, l couldn't have a MRI cause of the bolty thinginy in the neck, so that was my only option to find out what the hell is going on in there.... NOT THAT IT SHOWED ANYTHING, GOT HOME AND CRYED FOR AN HOUR IN THE SHOWER!!

Do you know what the go is with the chest pains? Because they were not always present with me! , and now are becomming more so.. l did not have any of these symptoms before the ACDF , all the symptoms were on my left side They have cleared up though

Are you having a myelogram for those symptoms? were they your original symptoms? What levels did you have fused? I am a c5/6 girl.

My Physiotherapist or (physcial therapist) says it is definately something mechanical, as it all happens when l flex forward or back everytime guaranteed!!!, is that the same for you?
    Thanks for your time

monica

Old 08-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hi - i was hoping you would update again.

The first time they did C4-6 with plate, 17 months later took out my plating and added C6-7 and a new smaller plate, thus fusing the 3rd level with the other two.

To make it short as possible, originally I started with center/right CHEST PAIN, about three weeks of testing (heart, gall bladder, shoulder) and clean bill of health, I woke up one night in unbearable pain and had to go to emergency room. Right sided, horrible - radicular pain from nerve root compression from osteophytes (bone spurs), a herniated disc at C4-5 and a congenitally narrow canal being compromised by the bone spurs at those levels. The pain was at these sites (back blade, shoulder, top of arm, outside of arm down to the elbow, burning forearm, painful wrist, and middle of hand, with a little numbness at tip of middle finger. I had pretty constant stabbing and burning pain. I did all the routine, drugs, rest, injections for 7 months, finally had to do surgery. I couldn't continue with my career like that.

I actually got better after surgery , felt like a new person and was terrific at 3 months post-op and that lasted for 6 months. Then I started up with symptoms again. Same symptoms on right, but then it started on the left side, in addition adding a little cramping/freezing up in the arm and hands and that led me to surgery #2.

I don't have movement in my neck, my fusions are solid, even the most recent one is almost filled in. I do have remaining stenosis to worry about and general degenerative discs. I guess I am lucky (LOL), I am growing bone like wild. BUT that's my problem, I am growing new bone spurs and ridges as well.

In general , my blade, shoulder, arm, hand, pain is more controlled than prior to surgeries, but it can be set off very badly by normal life activities, much less adding work. My chest is hurting again, and under my armpit. Stabbing pain in right, about breast high, deep in the chest and sometimes in center. Under my armpit, closet to the side of my chest and down the side to below bra line, a strong muscle ache. I am interested to hear you describe your chest pain - and locations.

I am facing a 3rd surgery, this time to open up more space with a posterior laminectomy(sp), but surgeons and I agree no more surgery until we exhaust more PT, all more tests that are available to help decide (hence the myleogram, etc.) and time.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:10 AM   #8
    mthu2189
    (female)

mthu2189 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Chest Pains Right Arm Pains :cant Bend Forward

Hi neckpatient

Well let me see, where should l start:
    When ever l flex forward or back l get a huge neck pain, radiates down between my shoulder blades, and seems to come out the front into my chest, about 3 ribs below my clavical, right in the middle and it is a sharp stab pain, straight in like a needle. This happens on cue , just from bending forward, or just pushing my head out forward like when your are peeking at something, only about 2cms tops. My Top right arm muscle always gets the same streaking pain and a tight feeling as well, again, everytime l move forward I had a bout of the pinky finger going pins and needles on me for a while, but l think that just happens when l do too much, and you mention about your arm pit, l did get pain under there one day and it did continue down the underside of my arm, through the elbow and then down the under side of my forearm! that only happenend once and has not returned (touch wood) Why is it that most of the things you do in life , involve a forward flextion ..... I am so sorry to hear of all your pain, and sympathize with you. You have gone through alot more than myself, and l wish you all best. Sounds like we have the same nerve yelling at us both, life just sets my pain off as well.
    Would love to hear from you again

Monica

Closed Thread