It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

stolen cadaver bones implanted in neck!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
smilikat
(female)

smilikat HB User
stolen cadaver bones implanted in neck!

Hi. I had surgery in 2005 - ACDF with 3 cadaver bones implanted in neck. Nightmare come true...I feared using donor bones, doc told me "No sweat, just as safe, and easier than using your own." His Dec. 05 gift to me: a certified letter informing me that the bones came from very questionable sources. A living nightmare. I am in PAIN 24/7...as if someone with a work boot is standing on the back of my neck.

And, ready for this....the doc who performed the surgery, LOL, he won't even see me! I saw another doctor's notes from Nov. 05 that stated that a donor bone is FRAGMENTED (I just found this out). That's before we knew they were stolen.

Am I a basket case? YES. I have NO health insurance, and I don't know what to do now. There are more details...but I won't bore you. I read the articles and how other victims have doctors that actually give a damn....

Last edited by smilikat; 08-30-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
texascritter
(male)

texascritter HB User
Re: stolen cadaver bones implanted in neck!

I think my gift back to him would be my attorney talikg to his attorney and i think they would be paying for all my medical bills the rest of my life. Just my opinion!!!!! TEXASCRITTER

Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
smilikat
(female)

smilikat HB User

Thanks for your opinion Texascritter.....I really thought the doctor would be caring, concerned.....I am really shocked by ALL OF THIS. I think I will pursue your opinion and see what happens....

Afterall, what do I have to loose?

Old 08-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
wimpette
(female)

wimpette HB User

There has been a lot of publicity recently about poor donor bone. Most of the surgeons get the bone from a company that advertises or claims 'quality assurance'. Unless there is a problem with the company providing the bone most docs have no idea that the bone may be less than what he/she has been assured. The company to question is the one providing the bone, find out who they were and how they represented their product.

Have also had a problem with poor donor bone with a very dramatic post op xray. Unfortunately because the bone company managed to shelter itself in some legal way they can't be sued. It's a shame because what my surgeon did was not a problem. I think that now there is better control as to what can be used for donor bone and a better accounting from the companies providing it.

Good luck, a failed fusion is miserable - hope you can get things taken care of.

W

Last edited by wimpette; 08-31-2006 at 06:36 PM.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
ember919
(female)

ember919 HB User

I read a bit about this both before and after my surgery. I can't believe the really, truly cr*ppy things some people will do to make a buck.

Anyway, after my surgery, someone at the hospital gave me a 'Graft Implant Tracking Report' form. I don't know if they were supposed to do that or not, and I haven't asked anyone about it yet. It has labels showing the 'graft ID' of each implant used in my surgery. The form also notes the name and phone number of the company that provided the grafts.

If you don't have that kind of detail about your grafts, I'd try to get it. It may not be your surgeon's fault, as many people were apparently deceived by the unethical suppliers, but refusing to see you about it is just not right. I would think, but am not sure, that the information has to, by law, be provided to you if you ask.

You - or a lawyer - might want to get more information as to exactly what "a questionable source" means. Have the source and condition of the graft been discovered, or are there still unresolved questions about it? Are you at risk and, if yes, what kind of risk and what, if anything, can be done about it?

It's also possible that your pain has nothing to do with the graft. But again, that's something your surgeon or another surgeon or maybe someone representing the supplier should be able to tell you.

Does anyone know if there are any class-action suits already in process?

Closed Thread