It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 5 months post acdf lots of pain. please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2006, 07:15 AM   #1
    mitchie1
    (female)

mitchie1 HB User
    Unhappy 5 months post acdf lots of pain. please help!

i returned to work once again 2 wks. ago & am in extreme pain. my shoulder on my left side feels odd and tonite when i just barely turned my neck, i felt something really intense. not sure how to explain it, just know it felt wrong. i am being referred to a different n/s. i am hoping this one will be able to tell me more. i only know i am unable to function in this capacity at work or home. it is very discouraging as i had thought by now i would be more healed. any suggestions, advice, etc?
    thanks all and God Bless.
    michelle*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: 5 months post acdf lots of pain. please help!

Michelle,

What you describe does not sound normal. You need to get it checked out.

Dennis

Old 09-02-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
    jayep99
    (female)

jayep99 HB User

My acdf was June 13 and I still have really bad left shoulder pain. My doc said it was bursitis because it got a lot better after he injected it with marcaine and kenalog (local anesthetic and steroid). He said that bursitis goes along with people who have neck issues. The injection lasted for about 2 weeks but the pain is increasing again. Its annoying but tolerable.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
    jjmaxx
    (male)

jjmaxx HB User

I can relate. Had two level ACDF (c5-7) in March. Pain in left shoulder and numbness in left hand/arm after surgery was about 4x greater than before surgery. In May it levelled off to be about 2x worse than before surgery, where it stands now. As of about one month ago, I started getting pain in my right shoulder and numbness in my right hand--never had any problems with the right side before surgery.

Did an EMG two weeks ago and all looked fine. Did another MRI last week with and without contrast, and it shows that I now have a small central protusion in c4-c5--this was not there prior to surgery. NS says that it is too small to be causing any pain or numbness. He basically referred me to a physiatrist and said he can't diagnose why I still have pain, numbness, and now the same problems on the right side as I have on my left. Washed his hands and said nothing he can do for me because he can't see or diagnose anything. I am wondering if I now have permanent nerve problems--I asked him that and he said it is possible.

Buyer beware with this surgery.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
    jayep99
    (female)

jayep99 HB User

I was still having numb 4th and 5th fingers post op and getting worse. I had an emg last week and it found moderater ulnar neuropathy so I'm now having an ulnar nerve transposistion next month (more surgery)

Old 09-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
    ember919
    (female)

ember919 HB User

jjmaxx - have you seen the physiatrist yet? this has been recommended for me, as well, and i'm wondering what he will do that will be different.

jayep99 - i had trouble with bursitis in the shoulder several times before surgery, and have had it once since. other than the swelling, it is sometimes hard to distinguish from pain being caused by cervical pressure.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

I've only had one appointment with the physiatrist so far, I see her again later this month. I think this is an important type of doctor for many of us. This doctor's skills/knowledge seems to be a good mix of a PhD level physical therapist and neurologist.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
    jjmaxx
    (male)

jjmaxx HB User

I was referred to a phsyiatirs but have not gone yet--my NS said he can do some trigger point things--anyone know what the phsyiatrist can do for us exactly? Is it like physical therapy?
    Thanks

Old 09-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
    edskym
    (male)

edskym HB User

Hi Michelle
    You need to know there are many options to try . Sometimes the surgeon just refers you to a pain clinc if they are not 100% successful. Try steriods ,PT, acupucture and all the other ideas you will get from the great people on these boards. I do understand your frustation but there is a answer out there and do not let the doc keep passing you around just because they do not have a quick fix.

Good luck
    Ed

Closed Thread