It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

possible whiplash??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
deebishop
(female)

deebishop HB User
Angry possible whiplash??

My mother and I were in a auto acc. 1 yr. and 3 months ago. Was hit in the rear, and knocked into another auto in front. We were sitting in traffic waiting on traffic to move at a stop light. Was hit hard enough that I had an instant headache. The person that hit us had NO insurance so I declined treatment at that time. As this time has past, and for the last month I have had and still having severe shoulder and arm pain. I also have tingling that radiates down my arm and into my hand. Could this be from a whiplash in the auto accident? The pain is so severe that when it hits I just have to hollow OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!! I know I need and MRI to know for sure what is going on, But I have NO health insurance. I lost my job 4 years ago due to a back injury that I had on the job. So at this point I am just suffering daily. Thanks for any input on this situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
PNo
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: possible whiplash??

Yes your problem could be from the accident, but after the fact its really hard to say that is what is causing these symptoms. You need to see a doctor. We can't tell you whats wrong you'll need a checkup, from your symptoms it sounds like you have something going on in your neck.

A person does themselves no favor when they don't report an accident or seek a check up to record an accident happened. Not sure where you live, but here are the questions i would ask.

1. Was there an accident report written by police?
2. Did the driver of the car you were riding in have insurance and did they report it to their agency? Lots of states require drivers to have insurance for this exact purpose - uninsured motor hits you.
- If they did, you might be able to get help with medical bills from the insurance covering the car you were in. THey may give you a little pushback, but it is worth a try.

Otherwise, all I can say is rest, use heat/ice, take anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen and see if you improve. Don't lift anything heavy. Take care

Old 09-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Kissa
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Generally speaking whiplash does not cause shoulder, arm or hand pain or numbness. Whiplash generally does not last a year unless the muscles are severely damaged and in that case it's generally called muscle damage, not whiplash.

It sounds more like a problem with a disk and a nerve being pinched. You really need to see a doctor and have the appropriate tests.

If your friend did have insurance you can make a claim on theirs as long as a police report was filed. As mentioned they may give you grief but you need to keep trying. Worse case scenario talk to a lawyer, most consultations are free. You have to do whatever you have to do in order to get the help you need. In most states theres a 2 year window of opportunity. I would definately look into it because you really need to be seen by a doctor. Left untreated your symptoms could get worse.

I was in a similiar accident almost two years ago, I was hit so hard it broke a screw in my neck and permanently damaged my muscles and nerves. In my case the damage is permanent, hopefully yours is not and is a treatable condition.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #4
deebishop
(female)

deebishop HB User

First thing, thanks for the replies. Yes a police report was filed, and also was reported to my moms insurance comp. I didnt file a claim on her ins. because she cannot afford for her rates to increase. I for sure do not want her to struggle anymore than she already does. She is on a very fixed income. If I knew that it wouldnt effect her ins. rate I would file a claim. Maybe I will get my SSD soon since it has been 3 yrs. since I filed for it. I also, am exspecting a w/c settlement soon, from my work related back injury. I really do appreciate your alls replies. By the way I didnt mention it, but I live in Kentucky. I dont think KY has very good laws when it comes to people driving without ins. My opinion on that is, I think if you are cited for not having auto ins. that you should have to spend 30 days in jail. I would not want to hit someone without ins. Thanks Again

Closed Thread