It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Bad Experience! MRI with NO CONTRAST! Useless???!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2006, 06:19 AM   #1
    Sahuja12
    Veteran
    (female)

Sahuja12 HB User
    Bad Experience! MRI with NO CONTRAST! Useless???!

Hi,

So I went to have the MRI done on Sat. Terrible experience. THey wanted to inject that dye into my veins, but couldnt find my vein cause they are too small! So they poked both of my arms and hands like 10 times, and injected Saline to test which did NOT go into my veins, cause it burned like HELL! So they didnt want to try anymore cause it hurt me, and there were no contrast images produced, only pre-contrast. Are the images useless?? Can the docs see anything in them?? I am scared he will just blow it off like "Um . Its fine. Thos eimages dont show anything so dont need to do anything else" since he spends like a minute with me anyways! I mean, my fingers are STILL completely numb and its been over a month. The steroids he gave me havent done anything meaning its not from a minor imflammation... And he said "It must have been some virus." Yes, but shouldnt it GO AWAY?? I am so annoyed right now...Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
    whackedback
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
    Re: Bad Experience! MRI with NO CONTRAST! Useless???!

Contrast is usually used for people who have had metal hardware installed. It helps things show up better. Did not know you have had previous surgery of this nature.

wb

Old 09-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
    Sahuja12
    Veteran
    (female)

Sahuja12 HB User

No I havent had any surgery like that before

Old 09-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

Without contrast will show herniations, stenosis and the like, and even lesions, abnormalities, etc... on the brain and cspine. (I don't know where you had your scan). I"ve had them with and without. LIke someone else said, the contrast is for hardware - and in special cases, sometimes, when your doc is looking for things like tumors along spinal canal, cysts, and other abnormalities, like malignancy. And no, I am not trying to scare you and no you probably don't have cancer. I've asked this question before and this is the answer that I've gotten from my doc.

In fact, whenver I get an MRI, the MRI folks are usually surprised that my doc orders with and without MRI (makes for an extra long test) because she is super, duper thorough. Most folks just get w/o unless you've had a previous surgery, have hardware or have had problems that your doc thinks may be something not related to herniations. Of course, your doc may be extra thorough, like mine, for ordering it in the first place.

I think they'll be able to see what they need to see on your MRI and if your doc feels you need the contrast, you'll have to go for another.

Hopefully this makes you feel better ---

Cheryl

Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
    Sahuja12
    Veteran
    (female)

Sahuja12 HB User

Thanks. My arm is just bothering me. I mean when I type and write the numbness is so strong you know?? An dI am afraid it will just get worse by waiting too long. I mean, its my right hand and I am right handed...I really want to know what's going on. And my doc doesnt even come to my hospital until Thursday so he wont call me until then I dont think

Old 09-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

If you have any type of herniations waiting one week or so for a proper diagnosis shouldn't cause permanent damage or make things worse. It might feel worse though.

It took about 2 months time from the time I had my MRI to the time I was actually operated on. I saw the doctor about two weeks after the MRI but they couldn't schedule surgery for another 4 or 6 weeks due to his schedule. Ironically my pains subsided just prior to the surgery and I did not suffer any permanent damage as a result of having to wait.

Closed Thread