It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• weird feeling in spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
    gifighter

gifighter HB User
    weird feeling in spine

I've been doing tae kwan do for about two weeks now and recently within the past few days i've been having some pain in my spine and a faint numbness that goes all the way down to my calves. Im thinking that its from all the stretching we've been doing in tae kwan do. we do one stretch called a chin tuck where you lie on on your back and lift your chin to your chest. When i put my chin down thats when i feel a lot more pain in my spine. i also got a meningitis vaccination which im kind of worried may have infected me but i know the chances of that are real slim. there are also countless other factors that could be contributing to it like a new bed since I just moved to college. im 90% sure its from Tae Kwan Do seeing as I have never stretched this intensely in my whole life.

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: weird feeling in spine

since the feeling appears to have come on while you had your chin tucked and your c spine really extended in the back,i would be willing to bet there is some sort of a connection between the two.at the very least,you should see your doc for a neuro eval and a possible MRI before continueing on with what you currently are.if there is something not right up in your c spine and you are not aware of exactly what it is,you could quite possibly be causing further injury of some sort.i would take this a sign from your body that it is telling you to have this evaluated.quite honestly,you have absolutely no clue as to what in the heck is actually going on inside any area of your body til you get that good look inside.this was how they actually found a glob of blood vessels that had been forming inside of my spinal cord like all my life.i just didn't know it til i had an MRI to try and determine for sure which disc i had herniated(i was having alot of definitive symptoms of one)this cavernoma just 'showed up' inside of my cord.

experiencing what you described with your chin tucked is NOT normal.you could have anything from bone spurs,stenosis or an actual herniation up there.it all just needs further exploration before doing anything overly strenuous.and i most definitely would not continue with those chin tucks.it would appear that when you do that specific type of movement,something is actually affecting a nerve somehow.getting this all checked out will at least give you peace of mind or tell you where the problem lies.but it does need to be looked into,i wouldn't just blow this off and hope it goes away at some point(my hubbys way of dealing with medical issues,or used to be til it bit him in the butt one day)just make the appt with your primary and he/she can take it from there.hope its nothing major.please let us know what you find out.marcia

Closed Thread