It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• sleeping with collar!!! help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
    leslie lou
    (female)

leslie lou HB User
    sleeping with collar!!! help

any advice or help would be appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: sleeping with collar!!! help

I had a bed wedge that put me at about 45 degrees. This helped a bit, but usually I had to contnually adjust pillows every few hours to get the right placement. I would begin to slump as I slept and a pillow would catch on the collar etc. I did find the more pliable the pillow the better able I was to mold it into the shape I needed to get reasonably comfortable. To be honest I had the collar on for 6 weeks and really never slept more than 2-3 hours before needing to readjust.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
    NYD
    (male)

NYD HB User

I had same issues. I have a hospital bed that is raise just a tad at the head. I sleep on my side and form a pillow in the hole that is naturaly forms between your head and shoulders. I fill that area, then put a pillow right behind my head and fall asleep. I'm in my third week, and get about 3-5 hrs a night. I get really bad spasms from sleeping with the philly collar. The NS has allowed me to sleep with the soft collar. I'm very concerned about doing so as I have no hardware just own bone. I find that the right side of my neck is more swollen that the left.

If you are allowed to sleep on your side try this.

My only issues are movement in the collar. My Philly collar has stretched and I get alot of play. I finaly get to see the NS on tues for the 1rst time since the OP. I hope all is ok.

Good luck!

Cam---

Old 09-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I slept in a recliner chair for 8 weeks while in the collar. no matter what i did to the bed I couldn't sleep in the miami j . You might ask for a light muscle relaxer for bed time. i ended up needing naps during the day because night sleeping was so poor.

don't worry the time passes faster than you think, take care of yourself.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
    bdh7
    (female)

bdh7 HB User

I found using my son's old feather pillow has worked the best for me for forming it around the collar (I have a Miami J also). My doc wanted me to take flexeril at bedtime, so that's been helping a lot with sleeping; plus I also have an adjustable bed and raise it about 30-45 degrees. Once I'm asleep I stay asleep, but I usually wake up sore from moving into some awkward positions during the night.
    Donna

Old 09-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
    Lilacs&Lillies
    (female)

Lilacs&Lillies HB User

I slept in the recliner for a while too. When I did use my bed, I also slept on my side. I had to work out the pillow situation. One was too flat and my head would tip down, the other too full and my head would bend up - ugh. Finally found that one or two of my throw pillows were better at filling in the needed gap than a bed pillow. I had a Philadelphia collar for day and soft for night. I bought an additional soft collar to have one clean at all times. The soft one from the hospital was much more comfortable than the other. (Not only was it a softer fabric, but it was taller - which allowed less movement, giving me more support.) My doc gave Valium for muscle relaxant and sleep, which did help me a lot.

I know it's really miserable for a while. Hope you feel better and get some good rest soon.

Best wishes - Lilacs

Last edited by Lilacs&Lillies; 09-07-2006 at 07:52 PM.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
    SAA
    (female)

SAA HB User

I've had neck surgery twice and had a neck collar both times. I found the recliner to be much easier to sleep in verses a bed. Best wishes! Feel better soon!

Last edited by SAA; 09-07-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Closed Thread