It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Lyrica anyone?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Backinthesaddle
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
Lyrica anyone?

I have been reading up on the PM site but hoped some of my old friends would still be around here or new ones who may have a clue about Lyrica. I just started it a few days ago and it seems like maybe it helps but truthfully I haven't been doing very much physically to aggravate myself. I started to see a PM after continue pain post ACDF in February. I only had one visit and he determined I had nerve issues and muscular issues hence the Lyrica. I go back next week to see what the plan is for my treatment. Has anyone else been down the PM road before for cervical issues?

BITS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
PNo
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Lyrica anyone?

Do post your progress. I had previously used Neurontin very successfully, but over time I got some of the side affects and had to stop it. I was talking to my PT the other day and he said that some people tolerate Lyrica better with same results .

Old 09-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
puparoo
(female)

puparoo HB User

Hi,

I took Lyrica for four months. It is a godsend for any type of nerve pain and is much, much, much stronger than neurontin.
I stopped it because I feel that I am in a fog and right now my pain does not necessitate lyrica. Although I do know that when I am at those levels again, I will be back on it..

For one, it completely rid me of all nerve pain, cervical, thoracic and lumbar. It even helped my headaches. Those are the good things. And it kicked in within two days of using it (twice per day).

Bad:

Weight Gain - I gained quickly and alot. If you're a gainer, watch what you eat and if you can, exercise a little. This stuff is heavy duty on the metabolism.

Brain Fog - I felt slightly drunk and out of it most of the time on lyrica. Very tired. Neurontin does much better for me (I consider it Lyrica lite and I guess that essentially is what it is).

Not for our kind of Pain - this drug is for diabetic nerve pain. So docs are using it off label for us, and its new - so watch and record your symptoms. Tons of drugs are used for off label things, but still - keep an eye out for weird symptoms.

Wears off fast. I don't know its half shelf life, but this will wear off after 12 hours, so don't vacation without your dose. You'll forget how much pain is really 'there'.

Other side effects were some tremors, tiredness, slowness with words, memory issues. But once I stopped taking it, it all went away. I would definitely take it again.

Good luck to you!

Cheryl

Old 09-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Backinthesaddle
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Thanks Cheryl. Yikes I can be a gainer but have been on a restricted diet to rid my last 10 preg pounds and have. I guess I need to stay on it as long as I am on this. Do you know why the weight gain? Is it water weight? That really scares me because I do not want to gain weight.

Is the drug given for a term or is it for life? I am on 75mg 2x a day and like you said I felt results in 2 days. I still have some pain but that could be the shelf life as I don't really watch what time I take it. I am going tomorrow to start to exercise again if I keep feeling this way. I just do not want to be on anything forever. Did your nerve pain go away?

The only wierd things I have felt is a few times like I was drunk. I occasionally feel like I have something crawling on my arms. I do feel tired and sluggish in the mornings but that is getting better.

NP I will.....

Old 09-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #5
bdh7
(female)

bdh7 HB User

Hello...I tried Lyrica for a few weeks, but didn't seem to get a lot of pain relief from it. I did have the weight gain, though...and also a lot of dizziness. I'd suggest that if you're taking it 2x a day you try to space it 12 hours apart, like 8am and 8pm or something like that...it probably will really help with your pain coverage.
Take care!
Donna

Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
jayep99
(female)

jayep99 HB User

I tried it for a week then stopped because I was too drunk from it.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Backinthesaddle
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I have been spacing the pills 12 hours. I had had the drunk feeling the first few days but haven't lately. It seems not to make me tired either right now and it should since my 1yr old has had me up at 430a the past few nights.

I so far haven't had much issue with weight but it is early. I am scared of that. I am not really hungry so I am still eating but not much and I am drinking tons of water. If I gain to much I am stopping. I would rather the pain the the extra pounds. That is one reason I would not go on steroids.

It is surely a half life drug as I can tell it is wearing off after about 10 hours. I am feeling the icy hot feeling in my arm a few hours before I take my next dose.

What did you guys take to replace Lyrica?

Old 09-24-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
puparoo
(female)

puparoo HB User

Neurontin - didn't work as well but close.... and the side effects are not that bad but you still might gain weight.

But I know people who just limit what they are eating and try to get some exercise, even if it's just walking to the mailbox three times per day... You won't gain 100lbs, you might gain 5-7 lbs...

Try neurontin... see what your doc says. It's Lyrica Lite for me.. but my pain levels are not even close to yours.

Closed Thread