It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

  • no idea where to begin-- what kind of doctor to see?? NJ

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 09-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
    Junior Member
    alberta24's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 12
    alberta24 HB User
    Question no idea where to begin-- what kind of doctor to see?? NJ

    My fiance is in terrible pain and nothing has seemed to help. He has been to Orthopedic and pain management specialist. Orthopedic recommended physical therapy, while pain management has been giving trigger point injections. Nothing has worked.

    When asked how to explain the pain he would say more of a neck problem, but it causes himto have pain in upper back as well, I think it is a by product.

    So far they have diagnosed him with Mild degeneration, I can’t remember what disc numbers. They may be between C2-3 and C6-7.

    I am scheduling an appointment with a neuro guy who specializes in “Disc Herniation & Spinal Stenosis; Spinal Microsurgery; Spinal Reconstruction & Fusion” ---- is this a good path? Any ideas? Anyone have a NJ/NY/CT person to reccommend?
    He can not go on like this. Please provide any advice you can. Thank you.

    Sponsors Lightbulb
    Old 09-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
    Senior Veteran
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 10,122
    feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: no idea where to begin-- what kind of doctor to see?? NJ

    sorry about your fiances suffering.was this diagnosis made by MRI,CT or a plain old x ray?i am only asking as each will only show certain things in a certain way.have you actually seen the report that was created by the radiologist who actually read the films?i am just wondering why what is called "mild degeneration" would be causing that much pain,really.while some pain would be expected,what you appear to be describing,well it would appear that something else would also be causing/adding to his pain?

    was there any stenosis or any other actual findings listed in the rad report/s?it does sound like you have been seeing some good specialists but for some reason,they do not appear to be helping a whole lot.Has he seen an actual neurosurgeon for a full eval?this really would be the best type of specialist to see for a c spine issue,they are just much more knowledgable with the overall workings and effects of the c spine when compared to even some of the best orthos.the c spine is the most heavily innervated area of the whole entire spine and some of the cranial nerves actually run down into the c spine and loop back up into the head again.this is just a very delicate area and honestly,i wouldn't trust it to anyone but a neurosurgeon.from the type of things this new doc you mentioned actually does,i am thinking this may be a neurosurgeon,so yea,this would be a good doc for him to see.

    if you do not actually have a copy of the radiology reports or any other testing that has been done on him,you really do need to obtain them.and also all of the other medical records from all of the docs he has seen up til now,and keeping these records for your own files.obtaining all of this then going thru the docs notes and the test results will give your fiance a much clearer picture of just what the docs feel is going on and what his most important issues do not ever get the full picture just by talking to any doc,that i know for sure.also,most docs will never seem to tell you the full findings of any rad testing,just what 'they' feel is pertinent.its rather suprising to go back and look at my many MRIs i have had done just seeing all the info that was actually in my reports that i was never actually told by my very first neurosurgeon.

    You most definitely need as much info as you can gather up to really see what the deal is,trust me,you will know much more after seeing all of his records than you do now.i can guarentee you.

    what types of meds is he currently on and what does his pain feel like exactly?i have a ton of c spine issues as well and they do also effect the entire upper back with muscle issues.alot of tight wadded up muscle develops from just the inflammation that is going on within the c spine alone.this is what i get trigger point injections for too.sometimes they help alot,and other times they do all depends.

    i do think you may be on the right track here tho as far as seeing this new doc.hopefully he IS a neurosurgeon.if not,at some point your fiance really needs to see one for the best type of eval.getting that medical info is also very very important.having your own set of medical records really really helps alot with keeping on top of whats going on and gives you the best insight as far as what any doc is really feeling about a patients condition.then just keep updating them like every six months or so(depending on the amount of actual doc visits and or testing being done)but you ALWAYS need to obtain any test results for yourself like right after the test so you have this should the need arise to have to go to the ER if pain should become a sudden issue or somthing similar happens.i keep all of the most updated info in a seperate file that goes with me to all doc appts and also contains my latest MRI/s.if you have to make a sudden trip to the ER,just grab that folder and go,ya know?

    but at any rate,get a look at that radiologic testing report that was done to see what also may be a big issue.i just don't think from the mild degeneration you mentioned,it would be causing as much pain as it appears he is having,there must be some other issues there that the docs have not mentioned to you.take a look at the very end of the report where it says "summary'?this is where the most pertinent findings are kind of talked about.this could reveal the additional problems.let me know what you find out,K?i hope he can get some help here with this new doc.he should not have to be suffering like this when he is actually under the care of an ortho and espescially a pain specialist.they can at the very least here,keep him comfortable as possible while they decide what needs to be done.i wish you guys lots of luck with this new doc,hopefully he can offer you something better than you are getting now.please keep me posted.Marcia
    3-22-01,herniated C-6-7
    11-20-01,placement of hardware for failed fusion
    9-22-03,removal of cavernous hemangioma that was inside spinal cord. Neuro damage to L hand L leg and R leg.

    Closed Thread

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 PM.

    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!