It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Thoracic prolapse at T7

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
Katie46
(female)

Katie46 HB User
Thoracic prolapse at T7

I have recently been diagnosed with a Thoracic disc prolapse at T7. My Neurosurgeon is very excited as he only sees one of these every 2-3 years. His solution to this is to do surgery which is something I'm not very happy about. I wanted to know if there was anybody out there who has had this problem and what they have done about it. I've been to see my Acupuncturist and my next step is to see a Chiropractor which I'm not looking forward to. I suppose my main concern is that this is such a rare prolapse and I don't have anybody to talk to who has been through the experience before and would like information that others may have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
lucidmaster
Inactive
(male)

lucidmaster HB User
Re: Thoracic prolapse at T7

I have a herniated disc at T7-T8 as well. See my responses on another thread detailing my exploration so far (click on my username). I am going in for surgery in a couple of months. My only comment to you is to consider finding another surgeon. If he is conducting this type of procedure every 2-3 years, he can't possibly have enough experience. I suggest you find a surgeon who has done more like 50+ of these things. The surgeon I found in Boston does 7-8 of them in a year. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
PearlDoves
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

Be careful! I would ask your neurosurgeon if he thinks its okay to go to a chiropratctor, this could make your situation worse depending on what exactly is going on in your spine. Your chriopractor may not even want to touch you with your diagnosis in mind, but I could be wrong. Ask your neurosurg what alternatives there might be to surgery and see if those work, if they make your situation worse then you may have to start to accept the fact of facing surgery... which really can be a good thing, its just hard to think about and recovery can be rough depending on what is done. But once you accept it in your mind, it may not be as hard as you think to face. It really depends on you. Good luck to you and God bless, I hope all turns out well with you and that your outcome is excellent.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
PNo
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Hi, I have read that it is very rare for problems in the T's they are more often seen in C's and L's. I wouldn't let a chiro work on this problem if it were me. I would also find a surgeon that has done lots of people with T problems or an extremely experienced Thoracic surgeon with years of surgical experience. You might try over on the back board, there are more people here with cervical problems.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
MKA290
(male)

MKA290 HB User

Welcome to the thoracic herniation club! You'll find erudite, altruistic and sympathetic posters. I have a T8-T9 herniation and am seeing a neurosurgeon at 8:00 a.m. monday. My neuro told me that is is extremely rare. My entire spine hurts. From what I've read I would only go to someone with plenty of experience and interview your doctor. Thats what I am going to do. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
juneroy
(male)

juneroy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidmaster
I have a herniated disc at T7-T8 as well. See my responses on another thread detailing my exploration so far (click on my username). I am going in for surgery in a couple of months. My only comment to you is to consider finding another surgeon. If he is conducting this type of procedure every 2-3 years, he can't possibly have enough experience. I suggest you find a surgeon who has done more like 50+ of these things. The surgeon I found in Boston does 7-8 of them in a year. Good luck.
Hi,
I also have disc herniation at T5-6. can you let us know who is your doctor?
I wanted to get a surgery but the surgery is so complex and dangrous. There are couple of techniques for thoracic disc surgery, which one are you planning to have?
I have 3-4 mm disc herniation. how bad is your disc?
Have you ever had any Epedoral shots?

Thank You

Old 12-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
lucidmaster
Inactive
(male)

lucidmaster HB User

Mine is at T7-T8 and is about 2-3 mm. Apart from the size of the herniation, what matters is the width of your spinal canal at that joint--meaning how much space there is between the anterior side of the spinal cord and the bone. If there is no space and your cord is pinned against the bone, you are much more likely to experience functional/motor defecit (I have none so far).

See my other post for some comments on what I learned about all this at:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=447588&page=5&highlight =thoracic+disc[/url]

The approach depends on the exact orientation of the herniation and the preference of the surgeon. If your herniation is exactly in the middle, an anterior approach would most likely be best.

I haven't tried any injections. They attempt to treat the symptoms rather than the problem (even then with variable success), so I don't really have any interest in them at this point. The problem, by definition, is mechanical--the disc rubbing against/putting pressure on the spinal cord. Injections cannot cure that although they might temporarily reduce inflamation. The only hope is for your own body to attack and resorb the portion of the disc that is herniated, but that usually does not happen in the thoracic spine (it is fairly common in the cervical and lumbar spine though and that's why the injections make more sense in those cases since they can earn your body some time to deal with the issue). They are not sure why thoracic herniations are different, but it might be related to the limited mobility of the joints, the limited blood supply to the thoracic area, and the different makeup of the thoracic discs.

Last edited by lucidmaster; 12-26-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 AM   #8
juneroy
(male)

juneroy HB User

Thank you so much for all the information that you have provided for the people who are suffering from thoracic disc problems.
Since you have done alot of research, have you came a cross ( consider ) laser treatment to shrink the disc?????
I have came a cross of two doctors
Dr.Daniel S. J. Choy in New York

I was seen by Dr. Regan. He seems nice and listened to my whole story. He wanted me to have a surgery after his 1st visit and his secretery kept calling to schedule for surgery which I wasn't ready for it. I thought he is only into surgery and making money, not fix up people so i look into other doctors.
My thoracic disc is at T5-6 posterior 3-4 mm disc protusion to the left according to the MRI back in 2005.
To some neurosurgeon this is not significant to have it removed or operate on.
Never got any epidural shot but had cortozon shots while ago when they couln't find out what was wrong with me.
I wish you the best on your up coming surgery and hope the best and sucessful operation. I hope with the God's help and youself, you will have a happy ending surgery.
Please let up posted how the surgery go right away. there are whole alot of people looking up to you for advise and information.

Good Luck with the surgery

Last edited by HBMod07; 12-28-2006 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Please do not post urls to doctors

Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 AM   #9
juneroy
(male)

juneroy HB User

Thank You so much for the information you have provided to the thoracic disc community.
Have you came a cross of laser treatment. I came a cross of two doctors.
Dr. daniel Choy in New York
Dr. Chui in California
Do you know anything about the laser where they shrink your disc??
I have given it a thought to have it done, but haven't seen any, yet.
My problem is at T5-6 3-4mm posterior disc protrursion.
Most doctors say that i shouldn't get any surgery but they don't understand that the pain has crippled me so badly and can't function.
I was seen by Dr. Regan. He seems nice and listened to my whole story. He wanted me to have a surgery and his secretary kept calling to schedule for surgery.
I hope the best and successful surgery. Please keep us inform how the surgery gone as soon as you got well.
Wish you the best surgery with out any complication and faster recovery.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #10
Monty44
(male)

Monty44 HB User

Here is an excellent article on Thoracic discectomy. Note what is said about a posterior Laminectomy. As I've said before, the only spine surgery I've had that I regret is the Thoracic. I gained nothing and I am worse than before the procedure! Be Careful!

[url]http://www.aans.org/education/journal/neurosurgical/sep01/11-3-6.pdf[/url]

Old 12-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #11
lucidmaster
Inactive
(male)

lucidmaster HB User

I have read some about the laser "shrinkage" treatments for herniated thoracic discs. I decided to stay away from them for the following reasons:

1. There are only a few surgeons who offer the procedure. It is not embraced by the medical community. Raises question marks in my mind.
2. To the best of my undestanding, this is a "blind" procedure. The surgeon cannot visualize what he/she is doing. If they insert the endescope a few milimeters in the wrong direction, you can be paralyzed.
3. It is only effective for lateral herniations since the endescope is inserted through the lateral opening in the spine. My herniation is centro-lateral, and it doesn't fit the bill.

One of Dr. Chui's patients set up webpage to document his experience. He had serious complications from a similar cervical laser procedure that he eventually recovered from. Complications can happen in any procudure, and they need to be managed carefully. What was disconcerting is that when he was not able to move his arm anymore after surgery and tried to see the doctor, he could not get past the receptionist, and had to find another doctor to discuss his rehab/resurgery options. I definetely would not want to be talking to the receptionist of I was having complications after spine surgery.

I thought about contacting Dr. Regan as he has an excellent reputation, and has been instrumental in developing the thorascopic procedure. The only thing that held me back was that he does not seem to be associated with a hospital or a university anymore. It seems like he is doing his own thing, which might be just fine. But I'd rather work with someone who is associated with an organization, which means there is some degree of oversight.

Last edited by lucidmaster; 12-12-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
Katie46
(female)

Katie46 HB User

I have to say I'm amazed by the amount of information that has come forward since posting my request back in September 06. I became disheartened after a while due to there being no replies to my request. I came back on Christmas Eve and was pleasantly surprised to see others had posted some replies. It's very interesting to see how others are dealing with their prolapses and it's all information that is very much appreciated.

My journey so far started earlier this year with numbness in my back, after sitting for many hours doing Charles Wysocki jigsaw puzzles. I thought nothing of it until June when I decided that I had better get somebody to have a look and see what was causing the numbness and tingling sensation. My G.P. and myself was very surprised when something did show up on the CT Scan. After seeing the Neurologist and having a MRI scan it was found that I had the prolapse at T7-8. It appears that I have a lot of room to spare in the Spinal Column and that's why the symptoms haven't caused more problems than they have. It's great that others have come forward with information about Doctor's names in the US but I live in Australia. I have been told by a lot of others in the Health field that my Neurosurgeon is the best in the state that I live in so that's re-assuring.

Until recently the treatment I have had with the Chiropractor had been useful in managing my prolapse and other spinal misalignmants but now I have come to a standstill. Due to Christmas and other commitments I haven't been for about 2 weeks and don't feel any different to what I noramlly do after I've been, so I think it'e time to review the situation and plan what I'm going to do next.

I'm very interested to see how others go after their surgery and to see what the long term effects are on the spine. I don't have to go back to see the Neurosurgeon for another couple of months unless of course anything happens in the meantime. Interestingly enough, I have been told by the chiropractor that I will still have to have surgery, and I'm thinking if I still have to do the operation then why bother spending all my time and money on seeing somebody that's not going to make my problem any better.

Good luck to those of you who are about to have surgery and I look forward to seeing the results. Thanks

Old 12-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #13
Katie46
(female)

Katie46 HB User

Thank you Lucidmaster. I have to say it's really good to be able to come onto this site and finally be able to read about how others are dealing with their Thoracic Prolapse. I was pretty upset when I first found out as very few people knew anything about it, which also means they really don't know how to treat the problem.
I have been reading all of the posts that MKA290 has made and I have to admit that It will take a while to work through all of the information provided and to understand exactly what it all means.

Last edited by Katie46; 12-26-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Closed Thread