It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• After Collar Comes Off

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
    leslie lou
    (female)

leslie lou HB User
    After Collar Comes Off

I Am Almost 3 Weeks Post Op On The 18th It Will Be Three Weeks. I Am Wondering After The Collar Comes Off Do You Still Have To Be Careful. I Will Be Seeing My Dr At Six Weeks And Hopefully Getting Out Of The Collar. How Do They Tell If The Fusion Is Is Takeing? Thanks Leslie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
    painfulneck
    (female)

painfulneck HB User
    Cool Re: After Collar Comes Off

Hi everyone

I am 5 weeks post-op and my doctor told me to stop using the hard collar and to use soft collar. She also said to ween my self off of it. Apparently muscles get atrophied and you need to slowly(safely) build them stronger. As far as knowing if the fusion worked I had x-rays taken and brought to the surg for my 4 week post-op visit. She said everything looks great. I have to have x-rays taken again in 8 weeks before my next appt. Good Luck P

Old 09-16-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
    jcjwillis
    (female)

jcjwillis HB User
    Re: After Collar Comes Off

I agree with painfulneck that you should switch collars so that you do not get to stiff from wearing a rigid collar. As far as being careful after the collar comes off I would be untill your doctor tells you different or when you are completely fused.
    Doctors take x-rays on regular intervals and the x-rays tells them wheather you are fusing or if you have any problems.
    Hope you fuse very quickly and can return to normal activities!
    Hope this helps!

Old 09-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
    NYD
    (male)

NYD HB User

I too am 5 weeks post op (own bone) I feel amazing. I still use my hard collar during the day and use soft at night and sometimes during the day. :

Doctors have different methods when it comes to collars. My NS is 100% hard collar for 8 weeks-12 weeks (soft for sleeping) His belief is give the bone the best chance at a perfect fusion, and then deal with the muscles after the bone issue and fusion is well on it's way. He is the President of our provinces NS society and very well respected as the leader of ACDF in Canada. That being said he is Old school, he uses own bone when ever possible. I had very little pain in my hip and feel great at this current time.

If you guys could keep posting to advise how you are doing, and what tecniques your doctor used ie: own bone or donor/plate or no plate/ hard collar or no collar ect.... It will be interesting to follow each of our success, and rehab time. We are all very close to post op time. Could be very interesting.

Happy Healing. Good luck @ 6 weeks leslie lou.

Cameron

Old 09-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
    painfulneck
    (female)

painfulneck HB User

Good Idea NYD

I am 5 weeks postop acdf 5/6 donor bone(allograft). So far so good. P

Old 09-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
    leslie lou
    (female)

leslie lou HB User

as i said i am almost three weeks acdf 5-6 and 6-7 donor bone.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
    NYD
    (male)

NYD HB User

Do you guys have plate and screws?

painfulneck and I are almost on the same day.

I am C5/C6 as well.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
    leslie lou
    (female)

leslie lou HB User

i have plate and screws, i find my self wanting to do more, and more every day.................................

Old 09-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
    painfulneck
    (female)

painfulneck HB User

I have no hardware, I guess I was lucky, didn't need them. P

Old 09-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
    NYD
    (male)

NYD HB User

leslie lou, you need to chill! you have the whole rest of you life to do more.

I own a company, and it is hard not to do more as the pain is going away. I won't get sucked in as I know that the fusion is just starting. I will not be in a car unless it is absolutley required. The worst thing would be to get into a MVA and have the bone move! yikes. My wife has really stepped up and taken this responsability away from me. I have the whole rest of my life to pay my family back for helping out during this time.

side notes; I have no hardware and used my own bone...I had very little hip pain at all. It was a little difficult walking the first week, but I have no residual pain left from the donor site. I had staples in my neck and hip instead of stiches. Very amazed at how great the neck scar is turning out. It's hard to see already....mind you I may need to shave! I go see the NS again on Oct 18th. my surgery was on the 14th of August. I will wear the hard collar until then! yikes again!

TTYL... happy healing kids!

Last edited by NYD; 09-17-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
    bdh7
    (female)

bdh7 HB User

Hi all...I'm 6 weeks post op today. I got my collar off on Thursday, although the NS wants me to continue to wear it in the car or if sidewalks get icy for a few weeks. He said by early Oct. I should be done with it. That means no driving still, as my collar is too restrictive. My husband has taken over driving, and I've actually enjoyed being a bit of a homebody for a while! I was surprised that my neck muscles weren't more weak, but they were VERY stiff. He had me move my head around in the office, and then he moved my head (farther than I did on my own...ouch!). It seemed to flare the nerves up in my shoulder/shoulder blade, and was in a lot of pain for a couple of days, but things are calming down now. He wants me to do ROM 25x a day until things loosen up, then start PT next week, 2-3x a week for a month. I think the side-to-side movement (ear to shoulder) is going to be the hardest to get back, but I do have other shoulder/scalene problems on the left, which is really limiting my movement to the right. Hopefully PT will help; my therapist has seen me off and on for four years, and she knows what will and won't flare up my shoulder problems, so I'm really thankful for that! One interesting thing I noticed, and I would be curious if anyone else had this happen: when I started to move my head more, my throat started getting more constricted again. I had just gotten to where I could swallow pretty well...even ate some pickles!...but I'm pretty much back to pudding and soup again.

I know every surgeon's protocol is different, but thought I'd share my experience! I like his conservative approach, while it doesn't seem as though he's overly conservative.

Take care all...these are exciting days, aren't they? It's nice to start to feel somewhat "normal"!

Donna
    ACDF w/hardware and donor bone, C5-7, Aug. 8 2006

Last edited by bdh7; 09-18-2006 at 10:56 AM.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
    NYD
    (male)

NYD HB User

That's great Donna. I forgot you were right in the same time frame. I had no trouble with swallowing except the first day or so. I think I have been very lucky in both area's (no hip pain and very little throat pain) There is no doubt I have a stiff neck with some spasms, but all in all I feel so much better than I ever dreamed I'd feel, Post Op.

It took me over a year from being diagnosed and advised I needed surgery, to the time I said "OK let's do it" I was so scared. The thought of someone cutting around my spinal cord just freaked me out. It appears that I didn't damage the cord from the buldge. Again, I was lucky. I will wait and see the end result, but I am cautiously aptomistic.

I wish you all the best of luck. Keep posting your thoughts on all this.

Happy Healing

Cameron-

Closed Thread