It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neck Brace

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
    leslie lou
    (female)

leslie lou HB User
    Neck Brace

I WILL BE FOUR WEEKS POST OP ON MONDAY, I THINK THINGS ARE GOING VERY WELL, BUT ALL OF A SUDDEN MY NECK BRACE HAS STARTED TO REALLY BOTHER ME!!! I FEEL LIKE I WHAT TO RIP IT OFF AND START DOING JUMPING JACKS!!! WHAT IS UP WITH THAT!!!! LOL

Last edited by leslie lou; 09-21-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
    jcjwillis
    (female)

jcjwillis HB User
    Re: Neck Brace

Neck braces can be very annoying! Please continue to wear yours untill your doctor says it is ok to remove. Maybe the doctor can give you some advice to make it more comfortable. Maybe you can get a softer neck brace!
    Hope this helps!

Old 09-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

I remember laying in the hospital bed after surgery, and the air conditioning was not working in the hospital and it was July 1st and very, very hot, both inside and out. I was sweating like a pig under the collar, and it itched and was so freakin' annoying! I thought to myself, I have to wear this for how long?!!!

Lot's of times it just felt so restraining. It was like some kind of torture device was put on you. I hated the thing. It didn't fit very well, and was just a pain. Every time I went back to my surgeon he said "a couple more weeks". I wore the thing for 16 weeks. Oh, man, when I finally took it off...I burned it. I had a bonfire specially for my collar. I didn't care if I ever had another surgery, or if I felt like I should wear it cause' I was weak in the neck...I hated that thing so much that the only way I could feel free of it was to burn the thing.

So, what your feeling is very normal...at least for us poor people that have/had to wear that thing.

PS. It made my chin really fat too! It took about a month for my chin to look normal after wearing that stupid collar.

Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 09-22-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
    painfulneck
    (female)

painfulneck HB User
    Cool Re: Neck Brace

The last week or so that I was wearing mine I would get a horrible headache at the base of my head. The only thing that would relieve it was to take my hard collar off. I would take off for a few minutes just to relieve the pressure. I never got the headache with the soft collar. Maybe it's our bodies way of telling us we 're getting better! P

Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I found the same thing....the collar was driving me crazy and I felt like I had "neck claustrophobia". For the brief times the collar was off I felt SO MUCH better. Then I'd put it back on and feel so awful!

Closed Thread