It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Spine, Neuro Symptoms, Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User
    Cervical Spine, Neuro Symptoms, Help!

No one can seem to figure out my problems...
    One year ago, per MRI, "At c-6/c-7 there is a right paracentral to foraminal disc herniation with a small extruded component extending along the base of the right foramina with mass effect on the exiting right c-7 nerve root." Needless to say, tons of pain, arm numbness etc. No surgery, gradual improvement in symptoms for 4 months.
    Then...after 4 months, pain starts to intensifyagain...6 months from original herniation - I end up in the ER...symptoms are extreme neck pain, dizziness, difficulty walking, numbness in feet. Pain back into my arm again.
    All tests done, MRI of brain (w/ & w/o contrast): normal, Lumbar Puncture: normal, EMG/NVC: normal, Myriad of Blood work: normal. MRI of cervical spine 6 months after orig. herniation reads, "Posterior disc protrusion c-6/c-7 with mild ap narrowing of the spinal canal at this level, apprx. 10mm." Thoarcic spine MRI: normal, Lumbar MRI: "Posterior disc bulges L4/5 and L5/S1 w/ no apparent neural impingement."
    For the last 6 months, since my ER visit and testing, I continue to have dizziness, difficulty in walking which comes and goes, numbness in my face (cheeks and nose), crazy amounts of muscles twitching all over though more concentrated in feet and calves. My nervous system feels plugged in all the time, on overload, don't know how else to describe it. It's hard for me to believe this isn't all related to my neck, as one year later, I still am in so much pain followed by all these crazy neuro symptoms.
    I am resorting now to accupuncture and myofascial pain treatment. My neurosurgeon says the disc is slowly reabsorbing, so not operable. I'm getting desperate to figure this out. Any help, ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User
    Re: Cervical Spine, Neuro Symptoms, Help!

Mona,

I have twitching in my hands/arms and legs. Your L5/S1 bulge may be irritating your sciatic nerve and that could be causing the leg twitching. Just my 2 cents. (especially in the calf area). I've noticed when my lower back hurts in the L5/S1 area, my feet buzz like crazy too. What kind of difficulty in walking? Like Gait issues or leg pain? My sciatica contributes to my leg pain which makes me NOT want to walk, but I have no real problems walking per se.

I don't know much about the dizziness, I don't have any of that. Do you take any meds that may be contributing to that? alot of my pain meds cause me to be chronically dizzy. There are some recent discussions about facial tingling - although I really have none of that.

I'm no expert, and I'll have to defer to another opinion of someone else on this board, but if your canal is narrowing (at the cervical area) and the disc is resorbing - does this mean that the cord will be better? What does your doc say about your symptoms? (i.e, dizziness, facial tingling, etc) Do you take any meds to help you with the pain, etc?

Old 10-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Thanks for input. My difficult walking would be gait disturbance, like not great balance, trouble turning and pivoting quickly etc. It is usually accompanied by dizziness as well. The weird part of all of this...is it is very intermittent. I'll have trouble for a day or two, then it improves. Mind you, it's ALWAYS something, numbness somewhere, gait disturbance, twitching, major neck pain, but it's not consistent. Is this to be expected if it was a cord issue, I mean off and on, moving around...does anyone know? I am not on any meds that would contribute. Ibuprofen is my best friend for the neck pain, other than that, nothing. I am pursuing all kinds of things trying to get this figured out, I'm sick of being sick! Thanks for support! Mona

Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

I have transient issues too. (Come and go). Some days are much worse than others. Occasionally I'll have a perfect day (or what I call perfect these days). When I am stressed out, they get worse, so I just try to relax and take it day by day. I really don't know if cord issues could be 'transient', but I do know that my docs have told me, consistently, that I will have good days and bad days and very bad days. And some things will exacerbate the pain, sometimes days after (i.e, certain types of physical activity, stress, repetitive work, even sleeping funny or taking certain medicaitons) can affect numbness, etc.

I'm sick of being sick too, Mona. And not to sound cheesy, but I do try to look at the bright side - like there are folks in way worse shape than me, who cannot get around, who have worse diagnoses, etc. Try to look at bright side while you're getting treatment/getting to the bottom of things - if anything for your own sanity.
    Some Cord Compression

Old 10-03-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

I know you're right...thanks for the "pep talk." This forum is so great for that as I know so many understand the frustration, pain, fear etc. It's hard not to get down sometimes, but I know perspective is so important. Thanks for the encouragement! Mona

Closed Thread