It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Cervical Question...Input, Please!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
monarog
(female)

monarog HB User
Cervical Question...Input, Please!

I posted earlier with no response. So, I'm trying again. One year ago I had a very large herniation at c6-7 with major symptoms (typical neck, arm). 4 months of improvement then pain began to worsen again. 6 months after my original rupture I am in the ER, dizziness, numbness in feet, gait disturbance, MAJOR neck pain etc. I've been through all the tests for MS, EMG/NVC, MRI's, you name it. They say my original rupture is slowly absorbing, mild narrowing of spinal column at the rupture site, apprx 10mm. Spinal tap, EMG etc. all came up clean. IT'S MY NECK, I KNOW IT!!!
Last 6 months since ER visit, I deal with off and on gait disturbance, dizziness, crazy amounts of twitching, numbness/tingling feet, legs, sometimes arms - it changes up daily. I get numbness in my face, recurring glossitis (tongue issue) - which I read can happen if there is an issue in your cervical spine, hyper reflexes...I'm not kidding the list goes on.
Where do I go from here?? I am miserable, not only from the pain, but all my crazy neuro problems. I either have muscles contracting so bad they're effecting cranial nerves, some weird bone alignment issue, whatever is happening is wreaking havoc on my nervous system. I've gone through the "I have a disease" scare. I KNOW IT'S MY NECK!!! Please, please, advice!!???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Dutchgirl
(female)

Dutchgirl HB User
Re: Cervical Question...Input, Please!

I am sorry that you did not get a response earlier, but what kind of doctor ordered the MRI? How many MRI's have you had, and who read the MRI's? I'm not sure how many doctor's you have seen, but if it was me, then I would get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th (or however many you need to figure this out) opinions. I went through that too, where I was pretty sure that I knew what it was, but no one would listen. Don't give up! Keep searching, and listen to your body.

C5/C6 ACDF 08-22-06
C6/C7 ACDF 05-22-07

Old 09-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Jenny R.
Inactive
(female)

Jenny R. HB User

Monorag, see my post under facial tingling from neck problems, our symptoms are very, very similar. The pain is bad, but the neuro crap drives me insane. Facial tingling, muscle twitches, migraines, you name it, I've had it.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
loveshinesthru
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny R.
Monorag, see my post under facial tingling from neck problems, our symptoms are very, very similar. The pain is bad, but the neuro crap drives me insane. Facial tingling, muscle twitches, migraines, you name it, I've had it.
can you please give link, im new to the board.. this sounds like me too! i was just diagnosed with cervical disk disease.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
loveshinesthru
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User

i found it. thanks.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
puparoo
(female)

puparoo HB User

I have twitching in my hands, arms, upper arms, some cramping in forearms, arms, numbness and buzzing in my left foot (bottom of foot). But I think the numbness has more to do with my bulging disc at L5 sitting on S1. Because when the back gets back, the legs get bad and the foot goes 'to town'.

Twitching is daily, seems worst at night or after typing or when I am stressed out My pain isn't too bad, but I go heavy to the meds. Tingling in my hands and sometimes arm. Sometimes seems worse in certain places. Headaches, misdiagnosed as migraines for years before the doc found that I had herniations at C3,4,5,6, and now they think 7 and at T1 and stenosis and compression pretty much at all levles. I'm only 30. Can't think of an accident or any reason for being here - maybe congenital.

My pain levels low, so they won't consider surgery. Arms hurt a bit at times, but not major. Although I could definitely remember having a better quality of life w/o the pain in my arms, hands, shoulders, neck and head.

EMG came up clean... yep, no problems, they even did a 72 hour EEG on me because of the tingling, and crazy twitching and a couple seizure like episodes. I'm now trying Epidural injections which haven't been doing so much for me at this point. They've alleviated the head pain a little, I think.

Have you been to a neurologist and/or neurosurgeon? Maybe time to see a neurosurgeon to validate that this is your neck and not something else going on.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
monarog
(female)

monarog HB User

Thanks for input and support. I have seen both, 2 Neurologists and a NS...I've had 2 cervical MRI's (in addition to thoracic, lumbar, and brain- did I mention I have two bulging lumbar discs as well?), following original rupture 1 year ago and then 6 months thereafter. My pain after one year has gotten WORSE. Now, as described, all of these neuro symptoms, numbness (feet, face, arms - changes around), sporadic gait disturbance, dizziness, twitching...the neuro symptoms are horrible, and the pain is AWFUL!!! I KNOW something is being missed big time. Per my MRI 6 months into this, the disc is slowly reabsorbing. Something else is happening in there, I'M SURE OF IT. I'll keep you posted. Again, any advice is SO appreciated. I was at first scared with all these weird symptoms, but it's been going on for so long I am now mad and frustrated and sick of feeling sick...it's when my walking gets weird - hard to walk on uneven ground, dizzy etc. that really disturbs me. I am going to push for another MRI, talk to an Osteopathic Doc, get more opinions from another NS. As I said, EMG/NVC is clear (even though my feet are numb!), Brain MRI and Lumbar Puncture clean. I just don't think it's normal (is it?) to be in debilitating pain from a large herniation that occured almost 13 months ago, something is wrong with my neck that is not apparent, I'm sure! By the way...last couple of days, now have intermittent white spots (not floaters) in my vision and sometimes more sensitive to light (anybody else with this?), both neuro exams were normal with vision...only thing noted in neuor exams were slightly hyper reflexes. Thanks for the support. Mona

Last edited by monarog; 09-30-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Closed Thread