It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Blood Clots after surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
    bride527
    Veteran
    (female)

bride527 HB User
    Blood Clots after surgery

I wrote a few weeks ago about my husband's upcoming operation. The dr. said he had lot of arthritis in his spine. The dr. did fusions and put in "hardware". He will give me more details when we see him at the Post op visit. anyway the surgey went well and everything seemed fine. The operation was last Monday. Today he had a CAT scan and they found a few small blood clots in his lungs. Of course he is a wreck now. The are putting him on Coumadin and they gave him a shot today. He will have to continue it when he goes home. Is this common after surgery of this type?? Has anyone had blood clots after surgery like this? His operation lasted 10 hours!!!!.......any comments.. thanks bride527

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
    ThoreauFan
    (male)

ThoreauFan HB User
    Re: Blood Clots after surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bride527
    I wrote a few weeks ago about my husband's upcoming operation. The dr. said he had lot of arthritis in his spine. The dr. did fusions and put in "hardware". He will give me more details when we see him at the Post op visit. anyway the surgey went well and everything seemed fine. The operation was last Monday. Today he had a CAT scan and they found a few small blood clots in his lungs. Of course he is a wreck now. The are putting him on Coumadin and they gave him a shot today. He will have to continue it when he goes home. Is this common after surgery of this type?? Has anyone had blood clots after surgery like this? His operation lasted 10 hours!!!!.......any comments.. thanks bride527
    I don't know if "common" is the right word but it's definitely near the top of the complication list for any surgery, especially those of long duration. Blood tends to pool in the lower legs, clots form, then travel to the lungs. Although, the health care professionals did the scan, caught it, and he's receiving treatment. And that's very, very, very good news.

Hopefully, the worst is behind you. It's being treated.

Now it's time to start healing.

Last edited by ThoreauFan; 09-30-2006 at 07:53 PM.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Blood Clots after surgery

was he wearing the "standard' TEDS stockings and were they using that pressure machine?they place the legs into these little coverings that compress the legs like every 30 seconds or so just to keep the blood moving?blood clots are always a big risk with any surgery,and like the above poster mentioned,the longer the surgery,the higher the risk.but it sounds like they are doing the right things for him with the coumadin.there are other blood thinning meds he can try if the coumadin is causing side effects or isn't doing the job for him,plavix is a good one.i was on the for a while after my aneurysm coiling was done.no side effects with that at all.he will need to have periodic blood work done now like once a month just to see how well the med is working,but it helps reduce the risk of more clots and all those wonderful complications that can arise from them so what do ya do.i hope these clear soon for him.it really does sound like they are doing all the right things for him,so that alone should ease your mind a bit anyway.good luck,Marcia

Closed Thread