It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• new here just diagnosed with cervical disk disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User
    new here just diagnosed with cervical disk disease

i am not sure what to expect. my mri in 2003 showed a bulge in the c5-c6 area, but it has gotten worse. there is cord compression. back in 2003 i had ms like symptoms and have ms like symptoms now. im having a hard time moving my legs, get electrical shocks, incontinent, cramping, pain, muscle twitches/jerks, my lower back hurts really bad and i didnt get a mri on that. my arms feel weaker and i have suffered from migraines since i can remember. im a 37 year old female. i have one lesion on my brain. ive also been having a hard time remembering things and words and have even stuttered a few times.

i see the neuro surgeon monday. i guess to see what he wants to do about my neck. my eye dr has seen some abnormalities which im sure are not connected to this but possibly ms or some other degenerative disease. she says she sees old scarring or degenaration? she says the right eye may be acting up again and thinks the nerve is getting fuller. my right eye also doesnt respond to light as quickly as the left, and was borderline on the peripheal vision test.

i dont know what to expect or what to do. im a truck driver and am debating whether to go back out on the road since the truck is very bumpy riding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User
    Re: new here just diagnosed with cervical disk disease

I think that the cord compression can cause the cramping, muscle jerks, twitches, it has for me and people on the board will tellyou the same. I have compression and I have twitching, cramping, etc. My EMG/NCV came back clean, which made me nervous, because I thought that it had to be positive to tie the cervical nerves to these issues...

But, what do I know?? I hope it's my neck and not something else. The cervical issues are my least concern. I too worry about something worse like MS, although there are a lot of great treatments for that now and people can live great lives! I'm sure your problems are from your cord compression. I'm glad you're seeing a Neurosurgeon, do let us know what he says/how that goes.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Old 09-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

cheryl do your symptoms come and go? this time that my symptoms have come on they are strong! sometimes i almost feel like i need a wheelchair.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

My symptoms are not very strong, and they do come and go. They are consistent from day to day, though. I usually have twitching, etc. more so at night and early morning or after a day that I have been either 1. Very stressed out or 2. Very active with my hands and arms at the keyboard

I've had days here and there w/o any symptoms. They are not very strong, but they do stress me out to the point of major anxiety sometimes. I'm sorry you feel like you need a wheelchair.

Are your cramping and twtiching in your legs?? If so, have you had a lumbar MRI? You might have some issues going on with your lower back, like sciatica. Do you have weakness? What is your treatment plan? Do you see a surgeon?

When you say 'wheelchair', gosh, it seems like you need to tell your doc this...

Let me know!

Cheryl

Old 10-01-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by puparoo
    My symptoms are not very strong, and they do come and go. They are consistent from day to day, though. I usually have twitching, etc. more so at night and early morning or after a day that I have been either 1. Very stressed out or 2. Very active with my hands and arms at the keyboard

I've had days here and there w/o any symptoms. They are not very strong, but they do stress me out to the point of major anxiety sometimes. I'm sorry you feel like you need a wheelchair.

Are your cramping and twtiching in your legs?? If so, have you had a lumbar MRI? You might have some issues going on with your lower back, like sciatica. Do you have weakness? What is your treatment plan? Do you see a surgeon?

When you say 'wheelchair', gosh, it seems like you need to tell your doc this...

Let me know!

Cheryl
    yes my cramping and twitching are in my legs. they are now moving to my arms. i have not had a lumbar mri, altho i do want one and wish they wouldve done one when i had one done weds. but i will ask for one since i have so much pain there and i feel the bones move sometimes. sometimes it hurts down my right leg. i have weakness, heaviness, etc. my symptoms get worse later in the day. i hadnt had many symptoms for 3 years when they first discovered i had a compression. and now all the sudden the symptoms are back and with a vengence. i see a neuro surgeon tomorrow.

my primary dr just blamed it all on my weight, luckily my chiropractor is on the ball and referred me to a neuro.

Last edited by loveshinesthru; 10-01-2006 at 12:33 PM.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

Good thing you're going to NS! Not to say that the cervical issues can't cause your leg problems, they most defniitely can. And lots of people on this board can testify to that.

I have shakiness in my legs. But my pain and cramping is attributed to a bulge in L5/S1. And sciatica pain. I understand from my docs that those of us w/ DDD in the cervical areas are just as likely to have it anywhere else along the spine. So you might have some lumbar issues too. Especially since you say 'pain down the leg'. And when that big old nerve gets irritated it will do crazy things like twitch, spasm, shake, etc. I spent the entire summer dealing with my lower back, which was quite nasty.

It got better with PT and time, luckily. But I still have my days and overdoing it doesn't help. Neither does extra weight, as I most definitely have. My docs say to lose 50lbs it will help the lower back. Although they said that this won't do anyting for the neck.

Good luck and let us know what the NS says.

Cheryl
    Some Cord Compression

Old 10-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

thanks cheryl.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

i just got back from the NS. he said i have a herniated disc. he recommends surgery asap. it will prob be in a couple weeks. he wasnt sure if it was causing my lower symptoms.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #9
    BigMac
    (female)

BigMac HB User

That was a quick answer from the NS.
    Which cervical level is the herniated disc?
    All the symptoms you talked about sound like a cevical problem except for the blurred vision and changes in the optic nerve. The Docs told you they thought you had MS? An anterior cervical disc surgery might even help with your legs if the disc ruptured posteriorly it could be compressing the spinal cord which would explain the leg symptoms.........
    I wish you well. Let us know how you do.
    R

Last edited by BigMac; 10-02-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

the drs have not ruled in nor out ms. they wont say that they think i have it but they wont rule it out either. CDD does mimic ms, but the eye problems, memory problems and stuttering are not associated with cervical problems.

im herniated at the c5-6 level. there is a bulge and cord compression. im debating whether to return to work for 2 weeks and then get this done. i have 1 week left of training to complete. im also waiting to hear back if my insurance will pay for this.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
    BigMac
    (female)

BigMac HB User

Only you know if you feel capable of returning to work. It would be great if you are able to get those two weeks in before surgery. I suppose you could try........go in and if it gets bad then leave.........That's the only way you'll know........I'm 'assuming' the NS would have given you a 'Get out of work pass' if he felt it was unsafe so since he didn't you'll have to play it by ear and see how you feel.
    Good luck

Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

yeah he said it was ok to go back to work, surprisingly since i am a truck driver. and i am having a hard time getting in the truck. but he feels i need the surgery before it gets worse and damages my cord. he also told me not to go to the chiropractor or crack my neck as it could make it alot worse.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #13
    BigMac
    (female)

BigMac HB User
    Lightbulb Re: new here just diagnosed with cervical disk disease

oh well...........does your truck have some REAL good air shocks?!
    My Dad was a trucker and I know how we used to get bounced around!
    If it was your lower back he might have said don't be sitting ----but with your neck you can maybe sort of use good posture and make it.for most of the two weeks..............did you get a soft collar to wear when the pain and stiffness gets bad? That might help some, even though it is better not to wear for long periods. ..........

Old 10-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

no he did not give me a collar. not sure i could stand it anyways... lol. yeah the seats kinda slam me into the bottom of the seat when we hit a bump. he said it shouldnt hurt my neck but if i have lower back degeneration then it prob wouldnt be good. but we dont know til we get an mri and that wont be til later.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #15
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

loveshinethru:

yes I believe C5-6 can effect the legs. My stenosis was C4-C7 and I had leg tremors (pretty much gone) and a gait (walking) problem (still exists a year later after surgery)

The NS recommended a soft collar for me from diagnosis until surgery - it really was a comfort. My surgery (laminectomy) did not require a collar after surgery.

Good luck

Closed Thread