It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Which pain meds to use?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
    Suzq222
    (female)

Suzq222 HB User
    Which pain meds to use?

What does everyone use for pain meds? I've had prescriptions for percoset, vicadin and tramadol but they all make me sick to my stomach and totally "out of it" so I can't function. I took tramadol this morning hoping that would keep the pain away because I have a meeting tonight but I'm useless right now. I've tried to cut them in half but it doesn't help with the pain. I've also tried doing increased doses of Advil but that sometimes doesn't help either. I just have a low tolerance to pain meds but how can I get some relief when the pain gets bad? I have a facet block scheduled for tomorrow and hope that will help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
    NYD
    (male)

NYD HB User
    Re: Which pain meds to use?

I'm on Oxycontin. I was unable to function with the neck pain from compression and nerve root issues. 7 years later, I'm addicted and pain free after surgery (8 weeks post op) fact is without these meds I would not have been able to work and build my carreer. Unfortunatley I'll pay in the coming months or years trying to get off of them. If at all possible don't take anything narcotic. Don't take anything for all long time. IMO, Meds do not kill pain, rather they alter your head space to accept pain and carry on. If it is only at night try a valium or somthing that helps you relax.

Be carefull.

Cameron

Old 10-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

Suzyq - I take Darvocet, because I get slightly ill from the vicodins, percocets and others.

Darvocet is not as effective as the meds I just mentioned, but does help. And its easier on my stomach and doesn't make me as dizzy, etc. I also take neurontin and naprosyn. The three together seem to help me a lot. Often I don't think that they are helping until I miss a dose!

Maybe try Darvocet to see if that helps. I also eat with my meds.. it helps my stomach.
    Some Cord Compression

Old 10-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Tramadol is a non-narcotic tylenol based medication. Since I could only take the oxycontin or percocet when I was at home and resting, the tramadol has worked well during the day.

Keep in mind percocet and vicodin are virtually the same so they should not be taken together unless specifically prescribed by your doctor. Also, all 3 (tramadol, vicodin and percocet) are tylenol based and if you are taking all 3 at once you are at risk of adverse side effects (i.e. liver problems, acetominophin toxicity, etc).

I am post ACDF and since I can't take anti-inflamatories (advil, aleve, asprin)for 6 months, per my surgeon, I rely soley on Tramadol.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 10-03-2006 at 07:02 PM.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
    Suzq222
    (female)

Suzq222 HB User

Thanks for all the input. I don't take any of those meds together, they've been prescribed to me over time, as each one didn't work or made me sick the doctor would try another. I wasn't sure what the tramadol was, maybe I'll stick to cutting them in half during the day, that seemed to help a little. Hopefully after the facet block this afternoon I can cut down on everything.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

celebrex and flexeril dont work for me... waiting to hear back on what else i can take besides vicodin.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
    jayep99
    (female)

jayep99 HB User

what about taking some phenergan with the pain meds?

Old 10-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

well they gave me darvacet and restoril. i dont know if darvacet will even work on me and im not familiar with restoril.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
    jayep99
    (female)

jayep99 HB User

restoril is a sleeping pill that was popular about 25 years ago and has some side effects. It's not used very often in the hospital.

Closed Thread