It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Nerve firings affecting my sleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #16
    michellev1970
    (female)

michellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB User
    Re: Nerve firings affecting my sleep

Mona, I do understand what your describing, I feel like I have electrical shocks running up and down my spine... they are not constant, but I do feel them during the day most often at night when I am going to sleep it feels like a bolt of lightning runs up my spine then into my head. The doctor has not tested me for anything and just seems to think it's "nerve pain" the Lyrica does seem to help them they are certainly a lot worse when I let myself run out of the meds. I sure hope that they can find out what yours is soon. I know living with this everyday makes life a lot different. Thanks for the reply.
    Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 AM   #17
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i don't know mona,but all i can tell you is that i now am extremely hyper reflexic which was most definitely NOT there pre op.my NS told me it IS all part of my nerve damage.your nerves are kind of running amuck now.i have constant non stop nerve signals going to my legs,when he hits my knee with that tiny hammer,he KNOWS to make sure he is off to the side as the left leg will just fly up in the freakin air when he even taps it lightly.it does sound like you have a damaged motor nerve somewhere.my R leg,because of different types of nerve and tract damage,barely moves when hit,but man that L one is alive and kickin.I DO however have confirmed vasomotor malfunction to my legs,or at least the L one anyway.

i think your doc doesn't actually know whats going on so he is telling you that its pretty normal.well it isn't and there are NOT alot of people who just 'naturally' would have hyper reflexes unless they had some sort of nerve issue going on somewhere.i would do a bit of research on hyper reflexes and see what connections you can come up with and show them to your neuro.this will help you understand things much better too.i know the research that i have done really really helped me to understand why all of the freaky neuro crap i am having(very similar to yours as you already know)was happening.some days i feel like a traveling freak show.everything just keeps shifting and changing and evolving into something even more ***arre than the day before.just plain freaky.there are some really great neuroanatomy sites on the net that have some super info on all kinds of neuro wierdness.i kinda feel at home there,lol.just do your homework and bring it in for a bit O discussion with mr neuro expert.good luck,marcia

Old 10-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #18
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Hi Marcia,

I really appreciate your input and knowledge. I have done some reading on hyperreflexia and will do some more. I am sorry that you are dealing with so many nerve/health issues. Are they giving you any hope of relief? I am trying to remain hopeful, but it's hard sometimes. The only thing is all of this hit me really hard last Spring...I was a really, really sick cookie. I have certainly improved since then, but some days/hours are still pretty bad. I just keep hoping I will continually improve, it's just really slow so far. I can totally relate to things changing up all the time and morphing into some other pain, numbness, whatever. That just sounds so much like what I'm dealing with, it's been one crazy ride. I will be seeing a new NS the middle of next month to get his take on things. The thing that is so weird for me is this all started with a c6/c7 large protrusion, no apparent cord involvement, though quite a bit of canal narrowing at the protrusion site...mind you the MRI did indicate "mass effect" on the c7 nerve root. What is so weird to me and my NS is that it has gone so far reaching....not just the neck/arm stuff. He does admit that there's alot they don't know...and since my extensive testing comes up clean for a myriad of disease stuff....he says I'm the "odd case" where he does believe my neck has been the trigger for everything else. I want another NS to review my films to make sure something isn't being missed. Thanks again Marcia. Mona

Old 10-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #19
    HopefulTiredMom
    (female)

HopefulTiredMom HB User

I have had everything from mild tingling and mild twitching to jolts, electric shocks, and "explosions" in my brain. It does seem to be worse at night, but I cannot tell if it is really worse or just seems worse because everything is quiet and still at night. I am experiencing almost everything Michelle, Mona, and Marcia are experiencing except sciatica (God knows I don't need any more problems!) The "plugged in" feeling that Mona mentions is right on the money. I feel like I'm always on caffeine with all the nerve firings I have day and night. Not a good way to get restorative sleep.

Skippy the neurosurgeon told me he has never seen my symptoms in the "millions" of patients he had seen in his 5-year career, and declined to operate. Because of his response, I am now focusing on finding a decent orthopedic surgeon who gets it.

It really helps to know others are experiencing these symptoms. I spent years fighting the feeling that I was crazy or worthless, because my family (except hubby and kids) looked at me like I was nuts when I described my symptoms.
    Ann (aka HTM)

Old 10-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #20
    michellev1970
    (female)

michellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB Usermichellev1970 HB User

Ann good luck with your quest for an answer for this.... The first time I had a "shock" I had no idea what was going on and if freaked me out! I explained it to my pain management doc and he says it's nerve pain and put me on Lyrica, it does help them a lot when I run out of it the shocks get so much worse, when I have it I can deal with them because they are not as intense. I thought there was something major wrong with me because they feel like someone is hitting me in the head with a lightning bolt. I am really glad that there are people to talk to about it, because as you have said others just do not understand what we feel. I think that unless you feel this you just don't get it! I do wish you all the best of luck.
    Michelle

Last edited by michellev1970; 10-25-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #21
    HopefulTiredMom
    (female)

HopefulTiredMom HB User

Well, I went to the orthopedic surgeon this week -- he says the firings are coming from the C5-C6 stenosis and he can fix it. No guarantees it'll solve 100%, but it should help. I'll have surgery next week. Hope its worth it.

How do you know if you've got a good surgeon? I checked healthgrades.com, and he's clean.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #22
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

HTM - THAT IS GREAT! I'm so happy for you finding the root of your problems. It's also good that he explained that it all might not be fixed permanently, although would be good to get some of it down, right? Or hopefully all of it. Thank goodness.

In terms of finding a good surgeon, you can check health grades. You can also check around local hospitals or do some research to find out who the best neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon in your area is. We can't post links, etc to this board. But you can try searching around. Try your insurance provider's site to see if it has anything. Also, there should be articles, etc. on the best surgeons in your area.

Do a bit of research and ask him how many cervical surgeries he/she has done like this? If he/she has done a significant amount w/o complications, etc. you should be okay. I think that is a fairly common surgery these days.

Others on the board might have some other ideas for you. But keep us posted on your progress!

Pup
    Some Cord Compression

Old 10-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #23
    jelovem
    (female)

jelovem HB User

RE: Hopeful

I know how you feel. I had an injury about 14 mos ago and started having the interrupted sleep coming from numbness and tingling from my arm & fingers. It wakes me up all hours of the night and even some nights no sleep at all. It controls my life..... I am angry most of the time because of no sleep and when I'm not angry I'm crying. I originally injured the shoulder but after 4 wks of treatment the WC doctor said I have severe cervical spinal stenosis which could not have been aggravated by my injury. I didn't have these problems before the injury. My family suffers as much as I do. I can't work and when I do try to even clean my house or cook dinner I'm in chronic pain. I have suffered so much in the past 14 mos that I've even said I don't want to live anymore. That my living was making the ones I love the most and love me the most miserable. It's almost like the doctors think you are making this stuff up. They are treating the insurance company and not the person. I'm not a doctor but I do have a lot of medical knowledge and I'm not crazy. This pain I feel is real and I can only pray that I will find a doctor that will treat me and not workmans comp.. Good luck I hope they find whats going on with you and you get control of your life back.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Judy

Old 10-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #24
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

HTM...that is SO great! Many of us with our nervous systems gone haywire are just needing relief. I will pray that your surgery provides you some relief...hopefully, alot! I too am seeing a orthopedic surgeon the middle of next month, if I could get someone to give me a little hope, surgery or not, I would be so happy. The buzzing, twitching, dizziness and all that goes with it is exhausting. PLEASE let us know your progress and how things are going for you. I will pray that it is successful and you feel better in the recovery room. I really do pray...so give me the exact date of your surgery next week would you?...so I can send up some positive thoughts. Bless you. Mona

Old 10-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #25
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You can usually check the state board records. I was able to look up the official state license records of my OSS (and any other doctor). I also found out that my doctor's practice (a father and son back/neck OSS practice) was written up in journals, reviews, etc so that helped.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #26
    HopefulTiredMom
    (female)

HopefulTiredMom HB User

I had the surgery last week. I saw the surgeon today for a follow-up, and everything looks good. The titanium plate and screws are holding the vertebrae in the correct position.

The post-op pain has not been too bad, but the nerve firings, jolts, and shocks are still present. Does anyone know how long it will take to see some improvement?

Old 11-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #27
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

HTM,

I'm glad you made it thru surgery okay. I have not yet had surgery, but have read many cases that it takes a while for the firings to go away, perhaps a very long time. In some cases, never, sadly. Not to get your hopes down, but that is what I've read. What did the doctor say - how long did she/he say it might take you to heal? I know the nerves get irritated during and after the surgery while healing.

Cheryl
    Some Cord Compression

Old 11-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #28
    HopefulTiredMom
    (female)

HopefulTiredMom HB User

My surgeon says it could be weeks, or it could be months. He added that you generally get no further improvement after one year.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #29
    sbbo

sbbo HB User

Hi HTM,

I hope you find some relief soon. I can't believe what you've been through, hopefully you'll recover quickly.

I'm responding because I had 2 level ACDF at C4/5 & C5/6 last year, but prior to that I had the absolute worst nerve pain (as a result of an accident) in my arms. I thought for sure the pain would be gone as soon as the surgery was over. wrong.... I can't tell you how disappointed I was. But... slowly and day by day, it started to go away. It *did* take time and most of the doctors I saw said it could be up to a year. (Although there was one snotty surgeon who told me it may NEVER go away.. <gulp> )

I'm happy to say I'm only left with a slight annoying sensation in my wrist and thumb. I can't believe it's been a year almost....

Hope you start to feel better and I have to say.. what a great family you have!!

sbbo

Old 11-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #30
    HopefulTiredMom
    (female)

HopefulTiredMom HB User

sbbo -- I'm so glad you got some relief.

I struggle every day trying to see if the firings and jolts are getting better. Sometimes I think they are, sometimes not. It's so easy to get discouraged when I have a bad day.

Thanks for the nice words about my family. They have been the only ones who have supported me wholeheartedly and really understood. I want so badly to get better soon so I can give them a real mom for a few years before they've grown up.

Closed Thread