It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Cervies...PLEASE tell me if you've had TONGUE symptoms...Am I the only one???

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
monarog
(female)

monarog HB User
Cervies...PLEASE tell me if you've had TONGUE symptoms...Am I the only one???

OK...I've posted several times about all of my crazy symptoms. I'm not kidding, it's to the point of ridiculous. Anyway, those of us with bad necks...has anyone noticed any tongue symptoms? Of late, every few days, my tongue is irritated, almost too big for my mouth, kind of burning. Then, a day or two later it goes away, to crop up again a few days later, help! No trouble swallowing or talking, just VERY annoying. Anybody else? What is this all about!!??? I've also in the last few days had a few episodes of my heart palpitating, this is a fairly new one also. Some days, I feel like I'm falling apart, if it's not my balance/gait, numbness, twitching...it's my tongue! Sorry, I'm just very frustrated. I guess misery loves company so wanted to check if anyone has heard of such a thing with neck problems. Thanks for letting me vent! Mona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Kissa
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Cervies...PLEASE tell me if you've had TONGUE symptoms...Am I the only one???

I suggest that you see your family doctor, tongue problems is generally not a part of cervical problems! You could be having problems with your TMJ or could be having a reaction to some medication.

Generally speaking neck problems cause numbness in your arms and sometimes, but rarely, in your face if it is the first few disks that are invovled, but if your lower disks like C5 or C6 etc, the numbness will be in your arms, not your head. If you see a Dermatone map you'll see how the nerves are tied to each disk.

Bottom line, you need to see a doctor, the tongue thing is NOT normal

Old 10-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
monarog
(female)

monarog HB User
Re: Cervies...PLEASE tell me if you've had TONGUE symptoms...Am I the only one???

Kissa...Thanks for the input. I did just read that sometimes...the neck muscles can go so crazy/constriction etc. (maybe after my bad rupture?) that it can effect the two cranial nerves that send signals to the tongue. This may be a stretch, but I just think this is all related somehow...I know it's not impossible to be various things, but seems like all of my symptoms might be tied together, if not, I must have 10 different problems going on at once, cause things are very crazy for me. Mind you, I've had some jaw stiffness over the past few weeks with all these crazy symptoms, though also read about neck muscles effecting the jaw muscles etc. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts - I am going to look further with my doc regarding TMJ issues...along with all my other neuro issues. Ugh! Thanks! Mona

Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #4
PNo
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

It is really tempting to connect everything we feel day to day to our cervical problems, but I have found that not everything is always connected (thank goodness). Hopefully its not your neck.

My son is in his mid-20s, when he gets stressed out his tongue swells and hurts. It lasts a couple days and then goes away. Also check your toothpaste you might be allergic to an ingredient.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
monarog
(female)

monarog HB User

Thanks for the thought...okay now I have been over the top STRESSED...due to a bunch of my crazy neuro symptoms. I think I've gotten myself in a vicious circle...time to take a deep breath and just relax. It wouldn't surprise me if this weird tongue thing resolves if I just settle down a bit. Thanks for your input; I really appreciate it. Mona

Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hi mona,welcome to my world,i don't feel so alone now.not the best possible club to be in but hey.i have been reading various posts that you have made along the way and to me,it sounds like you DO have some damage to your sympathetic nervous system.since the sympathetic chain runs along almost the entire outside of the vertebral column,this can happen to some people rather easily depending on just where the problems lie.you DO sound like you also have some affectation in the area in your c spine with the cranial nerves that run down thru the c spine,loop back up at the c 8 nerve junction and end up back into the head.
just from my extensive c 8 nerve damage,i have all kinds of facial paresthesias,the back of my tongue included.my affectations are mostly around the mouth,nose and back of throat.this is most definitely stemming from my c spine crap.i think this may be going on with you as well.unfortuently,for the life of me,i cannot find all the research i did on the cranials way back when all this crap started happening to me.this alos has the nerves that are the ones that go down thru the c spine then do that loop back up into the head again.sorry.

you have affectation(from the symptoms you have described)of the SNS,now whether it is just the sympatheic or also the para sympathetic depends on all of the symptoms you have.do some research onthe sympathetic nerveous system,see how and just what it governs and i will bet you you will be rather amazed at what your symptoms are and how they compare to just what is actually governed by the SNS.i have alot of facial affectation also in my L eye.its called horners syndrome.this was the first clue we had that my SNS took the big hit that it did.my heart rate was also wayyy out of control while in the recovery room immediately post op after they had been digging around inside of my actual spinal cord to remove that cavernoma.i have never ever had any sort of heart problems ever in my life and had just had a full physical thru the fire dept i worked for at that time.they were extremely thorough and i passed everything with flying colors.even my heart crap.then that??my NS told me it was most likely a sympathetic problem but at that time,i really didn't understand just what inthe heck that statement ment,i do now.

i know how freaky all of this can be,honestly,no two days in a row are the same for me anymore.either some freaky sensation will morph into something else,and can even turn into a freaky type of pain,or the opposite will happen where something that was indeed definitely there the day before will be gone the next day.this is just the nature of the injuries and the things that they affect.yep,it does suck.my aunt told me i sound like a very ***zarre carnival ride from hell.

just do some research on that SNS both the symp and the para symp,and see how things compare.unfortunetly it is due to nerve damage in most cases,and it would not be reversable.but if something is just being "affected" in some way,like a pinching of a nerve instead of actual damage to,well that would be a bit more hopeful.some of this crap you just have to learn to live with.i know thats not what you wanted to really hear,but that is kind of our reality,at least til they come up with some new and improved way of actually unaffecting a damaged nerve.who knows?i DO feel for ya Mona,really i do,i know it all sucks so bad.the best thing you can do for yourself is to just research the symptoms and see what pops up.at least this would explain alot.thats really what i needed to know as i thought i was going absolutely bonkers when some of the freaky crap just started popping in and out of its own free will.freaky stuff there as you know.i do wish you luck mona.Marcia

Old 10-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
monarog
(female)

monarog HB User

Hi Marcia,

You are a God-send! I am on my way out the door so just a quick note. Hmmm...so some connection to my recent heart palpitations as well? I too, never any heart trouble, I ran 25-30 miles a week until all of this came down. I will definitely be doing some reading on the SNS when I get back home. I just so think all of this crap is connected. I, like you, it changes up every day, if my feet aren't numb my tongue is sore/numb, my cheeks, nose, weird gait/balance disturbance, twitching like crazy...it's to the point of ridiculous. I appreciate your support...someone who seems to believe me and think it could be all related. I definitely need to keep in touch with you as I need to know I'm not alone. I'll be "talking" to you soon. Thanks for the info...looks like I have some researching to do. Mona

Closed Thread