It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• radiculitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
    Emily K
    (female)

Emily K HB User
    Re: THE DIFFERENCE IN THE SYMPTOMS OF CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND CERVICAL RADICULITIS??????

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the site and new to the idea that what I have is radiculitis. I too was rear-ended a couple of years ago and I have had increaseingly worse shoulder and neck pain ever since. Everything makes it worse...tens, massage, chiropractic, PT. Heat helps temporarily. I had an MRI of my shoulder....showed nothing although two years ago I had one that showed impingement. I am awaiting results of a c-spine MRI. I am so discouraged. I can't do anything. If I do anything that requires reaching (putting dishes away) or crossing mid-line I am disabled for hours to days. The thing that helped the most was trigger point injections but they only lasted about 3 days. Does anyone know more about facet blocks or other types of injections that might give relief for longer periods of time?
    Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: radiculitis

I too am a sufferer of very bad radicular pain to my right. If PT even lightly touched my upper back it would put me down for days. TENS made me twitch for a week, I have ultra sensitive response. Most daily activities aggravate it terribly, and if it is rainy or cold OUCH! So I totally understand what you are saying. I live on a heating pad anytime I am sitting down.

I have tried all the types of injections, the most effective for me are the Selective Nerve Root blocks guided by fluroscope. They don't make it go away, but calms it down enough so I can function better, and reduce a little of the pain meds for a while. At this point I am happy when I get even a couple weeks of relief, this has been going on for 3 years for me, 2 surgeries later I am still working to get my health back.

I bet you have already learned to modify how you hold your arms, keep them close to your body, i use a pillow to support my arm and keep it off hard surfaces, there are lots of little tricks that i have noticed help hold off further inflaming it.

Take care!

Last edited by PNo; 10-10-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
    Emily K
    (female)

Emily K HB User

Neckpatient,

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you have really been through it! Two surgeries? I am now really interested in understanding the types of injections. I got MRI results back yesterday and it is C5/6 that is compromised on both sides. My doctor said that it was moderate and that he recommended injections that he referred to as blocks. I am seeing an antisesiologist (sp?) on Monday and will ask about the type of blocks you have. I am totally freaked about the needle but I guess I have to try something if I plan on having a life. What kind of pain medication helps you? I've tried a zillion and really haven't found much that helps. Yes, I have learned somethings about positioning. I see a massage therapist and she has helped in that sense, although I just can't tolerate the massage anymore...like you I am ultra sensitive. Again, thanks, and if you have time let me know what medications you have taken. I'll post what happens on Monday.
    Emily

Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hi Emily, Monday isn't that far away! The injections are not that painful, and the part that hurts lasts like 5 seconds. I don't care much for the Epidurals. My pain management anethesiologist gives me a shot of versed (its a tranquillizer) right before the procedure and it relaxes me just enough. He talks me through the entire thing and a there are a couple assistants in the room with him and one holds my hand and encouranges me, they really make the experience easy.

I , like most everyone here have tried every med. I did use Neurontin a non-narcotic for the radicular pain and it helped alot once I got to the higher doses (1800mg - 2400mg). Luckily I didn't experience any side affects until I had been using it for a long time. Lyrica is the other one like Neurontin, I haven't tried it but others on the board say it is effective. I am lucky now usually I can live with Ibuprofen and vicadin combinations since my surgeries. Prior to surgery i was on mega doeses of Percosettes and Neurontin. Oral packs of steroids didn't help, but when they inject them in these injections I get a little relief

Good luck Monday, I'll check back on you.

Last edited by PNo; 10-11-2006 at 09:37 PM.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
    Emily K
    (female)

Emily K HB User

Neckpain,
    Your message was very encouraging. I tried Neurotin but had a reaction to it and the Lycria didn't help. Just this week my doc prescribed Ultram and I can already tell it is helping. (Although it keeps me awake at night which I'll take over the pain) I am collecting as much info as I can about different types of injections for this consult on Monday. You made me feel a lot better about the idea of having an injection. I will ask about the versed shot. I had no idea how much cold weather would effect me. I will be ready for an injection if this keeps up. Thanks again for the tips and hope.
    Emily

Old 10-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
    Emily K
    (female)

Emily K HB User

Update:
    On Friday before my "consult" I had one of the worst migranes and I stayed home. I got a call to give me instructions for Monday....basically they were planning on the procedure not a consult. I cancelled. I just have too many questions. I have heard that injections that include a steriod can cause muscle deteriation over time. I am also reading that people have to have these injections like every three weeks. I would like to know more about different kinds of injections, like those that reduce swelling. Also, the anestesiologis (sp?) was not the one my doctor preferred and I am already at a very small community hospital. I am feeling better witht the Ultram and I am looking for someone who specializes in pain management. Anyone out there who has information or suggestons please respond.
    Thanks,
    Emily

Closed Thread