It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal Cord Compression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
    cowboneneck
    (female)

cowboneneck HB User
    Re: Spinal Cord Compression

Renee...

I know that this is three years later, but I thought I'd mention my experience... In 1995 I was dealing with a neck strain (ongoing problem for years) and was about to start physio. The pain was so bad that I took a muscle relaxant when I got home from work. Took another when I went to bed. Woke up in the middle of the night with "electrical charges" running through my body. Went to emerg and they told me (after 3 hours) that it was only a muscle spasm, gave me a shot of demerol and sent me home. Couldn't sleep, could only get comfortable face down on a pillow in the middle of the floor. Called the doctor I worked for and told him I would not be in. Went to my family doc and she said it was a muscle spasm, told me I seemed anxious... gave me anti-anxiety pills and told me to rest. Called my sister (she's a nuclear radiologist) and she told me to get to a neurologist STAT! He told me I had a problem at C6-7 and arranged an appointment with a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon tested me and told me that I could wait two weeks for a CT Myelogram (MRI would have taken longer... I live in Canada). Also tried to get my husband to believe that the problem was in my head. When the neurologist found out (2 days later) that the surgeon had NOT performed the proper tests he admitted me to the hospital and found out I had a 40% spinal cord compression... thanks to my disck slipping out and smashing it. Anyway, I found my own neurosurgeon (thanks to my sister) and had a fusion a few days later. I've also had another fusion (2001) as well as a plate and 4 screws put in. Still having trouble as C4-5 is being compressed now. Apparently the more you fuse, the more pressure goes onto the remaining discs. I'd love to find out more about the artificial discs but there's only one doctor (London, Ontario) in Canada that performs them. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
    jayep99
    (female)

jayep99 HB User

I had leg problems prior to my c5,6 and c6,7 fusion also. I never had arm or neck pain but did have shoulder pain. My legs were weak and I'm a nurse and never put 2 & 2 together. I thought I needed new shoes and should increase my walking distance

Old 09-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

I have compression at C3,4,5,6. While I do have a bulging disc at L5/S1 that sometimes causes sciatica, I too have some issues in my legs. They are shakey at times, often alleviated (short lived) with a dose of methylprednosolone. I also have numbness at the bottom of my feet and some cramping in my calves at times. I don't know if this is due to the cervical issues or not. I would not doubt it, though. I've found that a lot of folks seem to have the leg issues with the cervical problems and cord compression.

I recently asked a neuro if the leg/shakiness/tremors, etc. could be attributed to compression and he said "it would have to be a HUGE amount of compression". But I think we're all wired slightly differently and maybe that slight compression is just disturbing our nervous systems just enought to cause symptoms - even slight ones - that we 'adjust' to over time.

I know that I didn't have this issue until my neck became bad. My docs try to write it off as anxiety.... but, whatever, I believe, with my non medical background, that this is a cause.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
    BigMac
    (female)

BigMac HB User

it is amazing to me that in almost of these post I see where patients have been shuffled from Doctor to Doctor especially women. The lady with the flattening of the cord to the point spinal fluid flow was impeded could have easily suffered permanent spinal cord damage.

[removed]seems patients with back and neck problems often get the shuffle routine because there are so many people who do fake this pain. And we read all the time of people who have a little accident and wear a cervical collar the doctors call these soft cervical collars , dollar collars! So when we come in to see them with REAL problems they tend to be cynical at first!

Anyway I was injured in 1998 ..my cord was twisted and the cervical vertabrae shifted so I had immediate cord compression and a hurry up surgery even with that I was left with permanent cord damage and the pain that goes with it My thoracic spine is not doing so well now, there is antral flattening of the cord at T11-12 and also in the top 4 thoracic levels. I don't want to have surgery on the thoracic spine.so I'm doing all the pain management and physical therapy hoping I can avoid any more surgery.
    Seems there is an awful lot of people who share the same symptoms and pain I've had since 1998

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-24-2006 at 08:35 AM. Reason: You may reveal any affiliation with the medical field.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #5
    can98
    (male)

can98 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Spinal Cord Compression

I had surgery on the 19th of April and was finally released on 29 May. I have been in physical therapy since. At first i could not do anything weak legs arms ans such. Now almost 6 months later I can walk assisted (cane) but am still weak. I have recently found a new theripist i feel is more knowledgable. I am now building strength and doing hydrotherapy 3 times a week each. I had a partial laminectomt C3-C6 levels and creation of bilateral lamina gutters and C5-C6 foraminotomy. I still have spatisity, tingling in my hands and feet. The muscles feel stronger due to therapy but the nerves seem slow to repair. I know we are each our own but can anyone tell me how long recovery was for them Oh i am 53 YO male very active and this is killing me to do very little.

MRI that made me decide to have the surgery
    Posterior significant protrusion associated with osteophytic formation of the disc C3-C4, C4-C5 and C5-C6 narrowing severely the spinal canal (AP measurement C3-C4:8inm; C4-C5: 6mm; C5-C6: 5mm) and narrowing corresponding neural foraminas more at the level of right C5-C6, compressing and flattening the spinal cord.
    Post-surgical fusion of C6-C7 vertebral bodies.
    There is evidence of mild edema in the spinal cord at the level of C5-C6.
    No other obvious abnormality detected.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

Can, is that type of weakness and slowness of the nerves normal according to your docs?

Old 09-30-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
    can98
    (male)

can98 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by puparoo
    Can, is that type of weakness and slowness of the nerves normal according to your docs?
    puparoo. According to my Doc in the Philippines all is good. A Doctor here Ortho says seems all is going well. My thearpist tells me that as long as I see strength growing then only time can heal nerves. I am happy but not at the same time if you understand what I mean. I have seen where it has taken 6 months to 36 months for recovery. I am shooting and hoping for 12.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #8
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by puparoo

I recently asked a neuro if the leg/shakiness/tremors, etc. could be attributed to compression and he said "it would have to be a HUGE amount of compression".
    my neuro told me that cord compression causes leg cramps, pain, weakness, tremors.. etc.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

Each doc seems to have a different opinion on how the compression affects a patient.

How irritating to have one that says "Nope, your "this and that" symptoms have nothing to do with your neck" It makes me want to scream sometimes. And honestly, it makes me nervous and paranoid.

I have one doc telling me, you have benign fasiculation syndrome, another telling me I have essential tremor. And they are all neurologists. HELLO... COULD THIS BE MY 'SPINAL CORD COMPRESSION, MAYBE??" HOW ABOUT ALL OF THE STENOSIS AND SPURS IN MY NECK RUBBING AND FLATTENING MY CORD, HMMM?"

"No, Cheryl, no way, it is not. Let's put you on Tremadone and any other medication known to man to treat you for something ELSE"...

Sounds like I need, yet another, doctor. Don't know how I'll ever get time off for surgery seeing as how I seem to take off so much for visits with new doctors each week. Thankfully my surgeons seem to believe me, but the neuros think I'm crazy.

Oh well, on with it, I guess.
    Some Cord Compression

Old 10-02-2006, 05:53 AM   #10
    whatever2
    (male)

whatever2 HB User

I found this board a couple of days before my surgery in May and reading the posts helped me thru it. I have sympathy for anyone with cord compression but there is hope. At 4+ months post ACDF 4-7 with corpectomy at c-5, cage and plate, I am beginning to feel better sympton-wise. I still have tingling/numbness in my hands but the walking problems are disappearing by the day. I actually ran a about 50 yards yesterday. The surgeon told me last week that I am cleared for everything except Sumo wrestling and by December i will be cleared or that. BTW I never had to take anything for pain after 2 nights in hospital. Had to wear Aspen for 12 weeks. Evidently fusion has taken place as can be seen at 6-7 according to the doc. good luck everyone and i will post again as time goes by.

Larry

Old 10-05-2006, 05:08 AM   #11
    can98
    (male)

can98 HB User

puparoo, DON'T DO THAT I say this at the top of my lungs. I know how hard it is to take time off. But if you wait and wait you may not beable to return to work at all. I know this sounds bleak but take from a guy who has been off for 6 months. Even though the symptonsand recommenadtions were there. Fortunatly for me I can return to work. Had I gotten into a car accident, or fallen or even just had a friend slap me on the back, I could have been jello from the neck down. Also do your research there are lots of things out there. Show your doctor you done your homework. I went to one doctor no others. You can spend years looking for the doctor to give you the answer you want to hear. JUST DO IT (whatever it is) 1 month after my surgery I was kicking myself now I am glad and working everyday to get 100% even thought I know that may not happen i still try.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

CAN - Thanks! Unfortunately, my docs don't even have a plan for me, they are blowing me off (in a way). So while I don't want to spend the time looking for another (as I do realize the risks are high in the meantime), I really don't have another choice.

My NS and Neuro are writing my symptoms off to anxiety and do not believe that twitching, shocks, etc. can be attributed to the neck. Clearly they've only worked with patients that have the classic radiculopathy pain (neck to arm into hand, numbness, etc). I do not have that at all. My pain levels are fairly low. So they don't see any reason to operate. I'm pushing for another MRI, but they don't see that anything could change somuch in 7 months.

So, on my way to find something better! I will heed your advice - really.

Cheryl
    Some Cord Compression

Old 10-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #13
    loveshinesthru
    (female)

loveshinesthru HB User

too bad you couldnt come see my drs.. lol

Old 10-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #14
    puparoo
    (female)

puparoo HB User

Loveshines,

Are you having surgery tomorrow? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I think it is you!!! If so, god bless you and I'll think of you all day long. Please post as soon as you feel better.

And, hey, I'm in Dallas, I'd put my behind in a car and travel to Oregon if I could find a decent doc. LOL. Cuz, I am sick of this stuff!

thanks!

Cheryl
    Some Cord Compression

Old 10-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #15
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Cheryl - Keep pushing the DOCS!!!! Pain wasn't an issue for me, just the tremors, gait disturbance, etc. and it appears that because I waited so long to seek help, my surgery helped but there is permanent damage from being compressed for so long. Obviously no one WANTS surgery, but........ - Gloria

Closed Thread