It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 5 mo post ACDF - Question on symptoms..anyone else had this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    5 mo post ACDF - Question on symptoms..anyone else had this?

I had a C5-C7 ACDF in May of 2006. In general I've been doing well, in fact very well from 4 months on. The question is this...occasionally I have what I feel is a slight swallowing problem. It's only intermittent and brief (lasts a day or so). Anyone else had this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
    bdh7
    (female)

bdh7 HB User
    Re: 5 mo post ACDF - Question on symptoms..anyone else had this?

Hi! I'm still only about 2 months post op...I had a lot of swallowing problems the first six weeks or so but things have improved. I still don't swallow anything like a tortilla chip that wouldn't dissolve easily. I remember you didn't have any problems after the first week or so...how long ago did this start? Does it feel like your throat muscles aren't working well together to swallow smoothly, or is it more like a lump in the throat that you have to work around? Does it get worse with certain activities? I just talked it over with my PT today and I was able to piece a couple bits of info together...when I bend forward (loading dishwasher, sweeping something up, etc.) my throat always gets swollen (that horse pill in the throat feeling again), and not long after that I start getting some serious nerve pain in right shoulder/scapula. So...whatever seems to irritate my neck has an obvious effect in the shoulder area, also. I'm going to start using the swallowing as a gauge as to when I'm overdoing it and need to stop, hopefully BEFORE the nerve pain starts. Your question makes me wonder if your problem could be continuing inflammation or irritation with overuse, and if you've ever noticed that correlation with more pain in shoulder or neck when your swallowing problems start. My therapist says the inflammation should die down over time, but because it's been such a long time coming, it will be a long time going, too.

I guess I don't have any answers, just more questions...but I hope you can get something figured out! Take care...

Donna

Old 10-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
    ember919
    (female)

ember919 HB User

I found I experienced the 'swollen throat' feeling after overdoing things or sometimes just after a particularly long day - even at four months. At the beginning it was more frequent and usually took a couple of days to go away. As more time when by, both the frequency and the severity lessened. Now, six months out, I have to do something pretty darn good to cause a problem.

I do still occasionally get the 'pill in the throat' feeling when sitting in certain types of seats or, I guess, in certain positions. Some car seats, airplane seats and, for some strange reason, hard chairs seem to bring this about. I get it when propped up in bed and reading sometimes, too. It freaks me out a little, but I've worked very hard to accept is as just 'one of those things'.

Have you noticed any correlation between the swallowing problem and unusually stressful or physically demanding days?

Old 10-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Ember:

Thus far I think it's positioning or something I've done with my neck during the day. It is a pesky feeling more than any pain - the "lump in the throat" feeling. I guess I thought since I had no real throat symptoms as of 5 days after the surgery I was home free. Maybe not.....but if it keeps up I'll ask my surgeon at my 6 mo visit in November.

It just feels good to know someone else has had this too!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Karin
    C5-C7 ACDF
    5/2006

Closed Thread